Well Wishes to Victims of the Haiti Earthquakes

Started by Ftiafpi, January 13, 2010, 03:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

I just wanted to take the time to express my sympathy and support for the victims of the recent Haiti earthquakes. As you may know Haiti suffered a 7.0 magnitude quake yesterday (Tuesday, the 12th) and it has devastated the region. Estimates are around 100,000 dead with some saying up to 500,000 :o :o. This is the most powerful quake to hit the region in over 200 years. Millions of people have been left without food or homes. Hundreds of people are still trapped under rubble. This is a tragedy that has hurt a country already struck with poverty and other troubles.

So, please join me in wishing them the best and hoping that this will be not a tragedy but rather an opportunity for the Human race to show it's true colors and come out and help those who have lost their hometrees.

More details: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/13/haiti-earthquake-disaster-hundreds-dead Warning graphic content!

Ways you can help out: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1629607/20100113/jean_wyclef.jhtml

Some statistics from the quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010rja6.php#summary

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Well wishes to the victims of the Haiti Earthquakes...
Haiti fpom livu.

can that be used? lol
I hope many help will come and they still have strength and faith.

best wishes, T.A Alahe :D
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Txur’Itan

That is a horrible disaster.  They are semi fortunate to not have had a Tsunami follow up thus far... 

The TXT donation of $5 is very clever, I am surprised more charities don't handle it this way.
私は太った男だ。

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 13, 2010, 09:35:20 PM
That is a horrible disaster.  They are semi fortunate to not have had a Tsunami follow up thus far... 

The TXT donation of $5 is very clever, I am surprised more charities don't handle it this way.

Probably because it doesn't give people the option to donate more than $5 (other than sending multiple texts)

Uniltirea Txurtíngay

but if you made somthing like this: yele 10$ but instead write: yele 100$ you are a bit f***** up.
if you see me not spelling words correct, its because im learning to write without looking at the keyboard.
(Tawtute) Lattergassen Aka. Uniltirea Txurtíngay.
Gimme a cookie. or a cake. or a pie. or a LOLCAKE.
Official Joe Satrani fan.

Coyote

Man, Haiti is one place that can never catch a break. They have no building codes or code enforcement; people just pile stuff up and call it a house, so there's no oversight to make sure that buildings are actually safe. Then they tumble like so many cards when something like this happens.

EDIT: Be careful where you send your donations! They may be fake hustles playing on well-meaning sympathies!

Check out an article here on MSNBC for details.

I say give to known charities. The Red Cross and especially Doctors Without Borders are reliable.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Tirealì'u

Txon Taronyu

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Atoki Atanyä

My sympathies indeed go out to the people of Haiti. I've been donating at school, and will be raising money for them on Friday.

A most unfortunate event, donate what you can.

I recommend YELE or the Red Cross, there appears to be an increasing lack of medical supplies at the moment.
Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

Ptxèrra

god bless those poor people

(but one thing about charty's that scare me off giving my sore earned money)
i took data from well known dutch charity´s (2009):

remember: i dont pick on there work nor pick on the person, but i ask questions and wanna know why. couse its a bit exorbitant.

Unicef
Henk Franken

Rode Kruis  (red cross)
Cees Breederveld

Hartstichting  (heart deseases research)
Hans Stam

Nierstichting  (kidney deseases research)
Paul Beerkens

KWF Kankerbestrijding  (cancer rechearch)
Ton Hanselaar

Artsen zonder Grenzen (international working medic group)
Hans van de Weerd

Wereld Natuur Fonds (WWF)
Johan van de Gronden

(euro's, not dollar, one euro is 0,60 dollar)

i know a director that leads a charity a good way costs money.
i understand its loan, but its like we give our money for nothing and they get minimal tripple loan than the avarage dutch get.
ALSO ITS CALLED CHARITY, so normal loans like avarage would be good, its a sacrifice, but it would make me proud.

AGAIN I DONT PICK ON THE GOOD WORK THEY DO.
they do a lot good, but it can get better
Oel ayngati kameie i was there

remember power corrups, absolute power..... is a whole lot of fun.
Sheepies: They just eat grass until something kills them,  it might as well be you!!

Swok Txon

I would have to say the same

but due to the high cost of equipment etc. its all the got sadly

All we can do is throw more money at them