What is your religious views, or do you have any?

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, March 17, 2013, 03:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Don't know if this has been spoke off before here on LN, or if this is a wrong section to post this.

Anyways, what is your religious views, or do you have any religious views?

I am actually a Christian, but I don't believe in that before, I have stepped into this called Polytheism, where you believe in more than one God, or Godesses. I have always had a vision that there is other Gods and Godesses in this world and on the other worlds in the universe, where there are other civilizations. I have a vision of other civilizations, that they have also a God, more than one God and also have a Godess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytheism

QuotePolytheism is the worship or belief in multiple deities usually assembled into a pantheon of gods and goddesses, along with their own religions and rituals.
Polytheism is a type of theism. Within theism, it contrasts with monotheism, the belief in a singular God. Polytheists do not always worship all the gods equally, but can be henotheists, specializing in the worship of one particular deity. Other polytheists can be kathenotheists, worshiping different deities at different times.

Christianity
Historically, most Christian churches have taught that the nature of God is a mystery, in the original, technical meaning; something that must be revealed by special revelation rather than deduced through general revelation. Among early Christians there was considerable debate over the nature of Godhead, with some factions arguing for the deity of Jesus and others calling for an Arian conception of God.

Tìtstewan

With these threads I am rather careful...

I am Christian too, but I do not really believe in that. I'm very skeptical in regard to religion. For many people they are a help, but it can be used as an idiologic instrument of power.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 17, 2013, 04:02:11 PM

I am Christian too, but I do not really believe in that. I'm very skeptical in regard to religion. For many people they are a help, but it can be used as an idiologic instrument of power.

But I am into a some sort of a religion. Polytheism is some sort of a mixed religion, I guess between Christian and ancient Greek religion(Hellenistic).

Niri Te

I am a monotheist and I envision God as being very close to the Judeo-Christian God spoken of in the Bible,  and before that, the Tanakh. The problem that I have with a littoral translation of the image that the Bible paints of God,  is that it paints a VERY Chauvanistic view of God,  as it was written by Chauvanists. If as BOTH the books say,  God said "Come, let us make man in our own image. Male and Female created He him". Well THAT means that the Godhead consists of BOTH MALE AND FEMALE. I believe that this one created everything from nothing. Including space-time itself. Are Eywa and God the same entity? YES,  I believe it is one God. This is the view that I had of God long before the movie. I can far more easily relate to God consisting of the attributes and identities of BOTH genders than how the Judeo-Christian and Muslim God are both portrayed.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

guest2859

Now when people ask me, I say "I don't have one"

Then they say that makes me Athiest

Then I say I have the belief that anything can exist yet only a percentage can be proved.

Technically this makes me a Weak Agnostic I just refuse to apply the title.

Ezy Ryder

Before December 2010 I was a Christian, quite religious one too. Then, while watching a TV show about religions, I suddenly just lost my faith, got a panic attack, depression and so on... Currently, I don't know of any category that I'd fit in. I'm not an Atheist, because I don't believe that lack of God is proved. I'm not a Theist, because I haven't experienced any proofs of God's existence neither. But I'm also not a Agnostic, because I believe that if God exists, it has to be provable. I also think that there probably aren't many Christian Theists (or at least I haven't seen any yet), they're rather Religious Agnostics. An example would be the quote of one of my psychologists: "Nie znajdziesz dowodu na istnienie Boga" a minute or two after stating that she believes in Him. By the way, a great thing to say to a person with religious crisis induced depression. Especially from a person I should trust, such as a psychologist... I mean come on... who gave her a license?
As for morality... I don't believe in things or actions being good or bad without God's existence. And I only believe something's good or bad only if God has stated so. So for example I'm against abortion, but actually not against gay marriage. I think, at most, God has said that gay sex would be wrong, though I'm not sure if even that could be extrapolated. But as currently I can't believe (no matter how much I pray for this...), I'm following the rules of the Bible only if it's not too much of a problem for me. Better this than nothing, huh?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am very much a Christian, with no particular religious affiliation, than, perhaps pentacostal. I consider the Bible to be a reference standard of morality, and as much as I can, i adhere to that reference.

I have not been associated with a church for many years, until a church started in a rented-out space in the place I work. It is a very plain, generic church with modern worship music. They meet Sunday evening, so I can now do my zoo work Sunday morning and attend church in the evening (and my work with the animals has been recognized as a ministry).

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Clarke

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on March 17, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
Anyways, what is your religious views, or do you have any religious views?
Mine can basically be summed up as: not even God can say that the square root of 2 is rational. :P

EDIT: More seriously, I don't believe in any gods; and that properly applied logic will reveal the truth in all circumstances.

Human No More

Not at all religious. Realist/atheist/secularist.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Irtaviš Ačankif

I consider myself a Christian, not belonging specifically to any denomination, but I don't consider myself opposed to the idea of denomination or an "anti-sectarian". I believe in the Bible as the ultimate authority in religion, and technically you could call me a "fundamentalist" according to the dictionary but I neither consider myself conservative nor am I a big fan of traditional rituals of certain denominations that clearly do not appear in the Bible.

I believe that as the Bible clearly did not tell us that God intends to have everybody on Earth be saved as His disciples, it is part of our responsibility to refrain from imposing God's much stricter moral standards on non-believers. That is, I do not believe that laws that prohibit homosexual marriages, abortion, and similar acts that are Bibilically immoral but not damaging to secular society have any positive effect. Christians should strive to strictly follow the Bible though.

This is not related directly to religion but my political compass position is:
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Niri Te on March 17, 2013, 04:37:26 PM
I am a monotheist and I envision God as being very close to the Judeo-Christian God spoken of in the Bible,  and before that, the Tanakh. The problem that I have with a littoral translation of the image that the Bible paints of God,  is that it paints a VERY Chauvanistic view of God,  as it was written by Chauvanists. If as BOTH the books say,  God said "Come, let us make man in our own image. Male and Female created He him". Well THAT means that the Godhead consists of BOTH MALE AND FEMALE. I believe that this one created everything from nothing. Including space-time itself. Are Eywa and God the same entity? YES,  I believe it is one God. This is the view that I had of God long before the movie. I can far more easily relate to God consisting of the attributes and identities of BOTH genders than how the Judeo-Christian and Muslim God are both portrayed.
Hmm. You gave a good quote from Genesis that the Bible itself does not paint a chauvinistic view of God. Indeed, God is never referred to as male except in metaphorical senses. It is clearly meaningless to assign gender to beings so supremely more powerful and omniscient that the aggregate of all the information and energy in the universe is infinitely less significant. This is also implied in the fact that although Jesus is referred to the "son" of God, the Godhead does not contain any "mother of Jesus", simply because gender is completely meaningless outside of a metaphor.

The reason why some passages in the Bible may seem to be "chauvinistic" is simply because God intended to exposit peyä identity to a culture where dominance of males is the norm. Calling God the Father would not raise any eyebrows, while explicitly stating that God does not have gender would engender (pun intended) unintended consequences such as a bunch of useless attention and doctrine revolving around how exactly God is "genderless".
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Elektrolurch

Great how you people exactly know where to stand. :D I personally believe that every believer is just too stupid and/or lazy to think for himself.
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Viritxian on April 02, 2013, 02:46:27 PM
Great how you people exactly know where to stand. :D I personally believe that every believer is just too stupid and/or lazy to think for himself.

You're on a bit of a roll at insulting people today, aren't you?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Viritxian on April 02, 2013, 02:46:27 PM
^This is exacly the reason why I wrote this comment at my secound post here... ::)
Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 17, 2013, 04:02:11 PM

However, what has believing in a religion to do with stupidity?
..f.e:
A part of the Ten Commandments finds himself in the modern law books.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-