Tsahìk (was: The Wiki Canon & Corpus)

Started by Seze Mune, October 11, 2011, 08:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

The Dictionary thread was locked though it seemed the most appropriate place for this observation, so ngaytxoa if this is the wrong place...

The word 'tsahìk' does not seem to listed as a separate entry in the Na'vi-English dictionary.  Olo'eyktan is, however.  

The only place I seem to be able to find 'tsahìk' is under 'Mo'at' and 'Sänume', where it describes them as tsahìk of their clan. It would be nice if 'tsahìk' itself were listed.

Then again, it's probably there and I failed to find it.......

Blue Elf

There's new Dictionary II thread, use this to report issues.
As for Tsahìk - in current dictionary it is listed under section D- Na'vi proper nouns (do you use most current dictionary?).
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Ftiafpi

For reference: http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

I have that bookmarked and always download the latest copy whenever I need it.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on October 12, 2011, 01:17:09 AM
There's new Dictionary II thread, use this to report issues.
As for Tsahìk - in current dictionary it is listed under section D- Na'vi proper nouns (do you use most current dictionary?).

What's strange here is that when I use the search function, it does not bring up 'Tsahìk' as a proper noun unless it is capitalized.  Yet when you search the word 'tsahìk', lower case, you only come up with Mo'at and Sänume described as tsahìks (lower case) of their tribes.  If Tsahìk is always a proper noun then I guess it should always be capitalized, even under these two females' names, srak?  But if the dictionary is correct when using the lower case 'tsahìk' to describe these women, then it isn't always a proper noun.  It's just a noun, srak?

And on the other hand, why isn't 'olo'eyktan' a proper noun if 'Tsahìk' is, since the positions have an equivalency as clan leaders?  

A proper noun or proper name is a noun representing a unique entity (such as London, Jupiter, John Hunter, or Toyota), as distinguished from a common noun, which represents a class of entities (or nonunique instance of that class)—for example, city, planet, person or corporation).

It seems that if the above definition applies, then tsahìk (like shaman) is a generic title as is olo'eyktan and both should be lower case.  By contrast Eywa would be a proper noun because it is a one-of-kind, specific entity (as the Dictionary indicates).

Seze Mune

Quote from: Ftiafpi on October 12, 2011, 10:11:03 PM
For reference: http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

I have that bookmarked and always download the latest copy whenever I need it.

Irayo ma Ftiafpi. Yes, I was using the latest one.  I love my Na'vi ~ English Dictionary!   :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I have always wondered this myself.

I just did a little study of similar words used in English: President, priest, shaman. All are common nouns according to multiple dictionaries. I tried to look this word up in the ASG, but (extremely bad only!) I cannot find my copy. The general feeling I get is that these terms are proper nouns only when referring to a specific individual, for example Tsahìk Mo'at or Ting mikyun aylì'u Tsahìkä (When the clan's tsahìk is speaking in the situation being described). But something like Fraolo'ur lu tsahìk (referring to aysahìk in general) would be a common noun usage. So although I suspect most uses of tsahìk and olo'eyktan would be of the proper noun variety, they more correctly belong in the main dictionary.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Seze Mune

Tsahìk is capitalized in the ASG.  I don't think we consider ASG material necessarily canon, do we?  I've heard it contains a raft of errors relative to what we know today...

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 16, 2011, 07:19:42 PM
Tsahìk is capitalized in the ASG.  I don't think we consider ASG material necessarily canon, do we?  I've heard it contains a raft of errors relative to what we know today...

It is also capitalized in K. Pawl's master list as per March last year -- as is Olo'eyktan, actually (both sourced JC).

// Lance R. Casey

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on October 17, 2011, 05:14:59 AM

It is also capitalized in K. Pawl's master list as per March last year -- as is Olo'eyktan, actually (both sourced JC).

Is this the case with other JC-sourced words as well, or just those two?

Yawey ngahu!

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 17, 2011, 09:17:29 AM

Eywa'eveng and Utral Aymokriyä are also capitalized (and Otranyu, which despite obviously being a name is in the verbs part of the list for some reason), whereas the rest aren't -- including iknimaya.

// Lance R. Casey

Seze Mune

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on October 17, 2011, 10:28:33 AM

Eywa'eveng and Utral Aymokriyä are also capitalized (and Otranyu, which despite obviously being a name is in the verbs part of the list for some reason), whereas the rest aren't -- including iknimaya.

Interesting.  I thought Iknimaya was the actual name of a place - the Hallelujah Mountains.  But if you leave it uncapitalized, it is more generic - as though hallelujah type mountains occurred in more than once particular place on Pandora.  Which would mean The Flux would also be in more than one place.  Which would mean it would be 'a flux' rather than The Flux.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 17, 2011, 12:47:58 PM
Quote from: Lance R. Casey on October 17, 2011, 10:28:33 AM

Interesting.  I thought Iknimaya was the actual name of a place - the Hallelujah Mountains.  But if you leave it uncapitalized, it is more generic - as though hallelujah type mountains occurred in more than once particular place on Pandora.  Which would mean The Flux would also be in more than one place.  Which would mean it would be 'a flux' rather than The Flux.

This could be true.  Also, iknimaya is a rite of passage, not really The rite of passage.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Seze Mune

That corrects a misconception I had.  I thought the Na'vi called the floating mountains Iknimaya.  Apparently that is not true.  Their rite of passage is called Iknimaya.  Therefore we have no real Na'vi word equivalent for the Hallelujah Mountains.  Tsa-hey!  WAIT!  The Na'vi name...ayRam aLusìng, is from ram mountain and lìng hover.  Cool!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I finally found my copy of the ASG. I noticed a number of 'proper nouns' capitalized. Some of them, like the place names we are now discussing, are indeed proper nouns. Still, something seems a bit irregular there. I also noticed the glossary, which I never before realized was there. It is a dreadful glossary, with at least two misspelled words (Polygany and Vulcanism). In any case, whoever created the ASG did not IMHO, do a very good job of it.

Yawey ngahu!

Seze Mune

I think the ASG has a number of glaring errors.  I don't use it as a go-to book for the last word on anything official, though it does contain interesting information.

Kamean

Yes, ASG are good book with dreadful glossary.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Kamean on October 19, 2011, 01:30:13 PM
Yes, ASG are good book with dreadful glossary.

Srane, I wish that someone would update, correct and re-publish the ASG.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Kamean on November 02, 2011, 02:23:14 PM
Maybe after Avatar II & III comes...

Very likely, ma Kamean.  I would put money on it!