Proposal to help amend Pandorapedia site

Started by Seze Mune, April 19, 2012, 09:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

Here's my idea, and I think we will need a separate thread for this:

As I understand it, the only semi-official site we have for information on Avatar is the Pandorapedia website hosted by 20th Century Fox.  As we know, some (much?) of the Na'vi in there is incorrect. 

Would it be possible for those who are part of Learn Na'vi to collaborate with Karyu Pawl, James Cameron, and Fox to correct at least the Na'vi on the website?  Is this an offer we (not me! I don't know enough) could make to, say, Paul Frommer, who might be able to contact the others for permission? 

Would anyone in Learn Na'vi be interested?

Kamean

QuoteAs I understand it, the only semi-official site we have for information on Avatar is the Pandorapedia website hosted by 20th Century Fox.
We also have James Camerons Avatar Wikia. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Kamean on April 19, 2012, 10:40:24 AM
QuoteAs I understand it, the only semi-official site we have for information on Avatar is the Pandorapedia website hosted by 20th Century Fox.

This is true.  But isn't the Padorapedia site more 'official'?  Someone told me that the Wiki site was done by fans and therefore some of the information is suspect.  And IF that site is modifiable by fans, then perhaps we already have access to the site for the purpose of correcting the Na'vi?  I am not sure...I think Learn Na'vi may be already actively participating on the site: can anyone please confirm this?

Tanri

Spivaw ngal torukä narit sì ontuti palukanä, slä pe'un fa tirea sì txe'lan ngeyä nì'aw.
"Trust the experts, but leave decisions on your own spirit and heart."

Edit: I think Pandorapedia is the only official site about Pandora, and is maintained directly by Fox people.
It seems that language isn't on top level of their "to do" list, neither that the Pandorapedia site itself really can't absorb all the evolving language. They can update dictionary, include some grammatical documents and even link to the Na'viteri, but (imho) lot of that site is about real life things about which we don't have yet proper Na'vi words and/or enough of informations.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Kamean

QuoteI think Pandorapedia is the only official site about Pandora, and is maintained directly by Fox people.
I didn't know about it.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Tanri on April 19, 2012, 12:08:21 PM
Spivaw ngal torukä narit sì ontuti palukanä, slä pe'un fa tirea sì txe'lan ngeyä nì'aw.
"Trust the experts, but leave decisions on your own spirit and heart."

Edit: I think Pandorapedia is the only official site about Pandora, and is maintained directly by Fox people.
It seems that language isn't on top level of their "to do" list, neither that the Pandorapedia site itself really can't absorb all the evolving language. They can update dictionary, include some grammatical documents and even link to the Na'viteri, but (imho) lot of that site is about real life things about which we don't have yet proper Na'vi words and/or enough of informations.

I agree.  If the language is not at the top of their 'To Do" list, then perhaps they would allow us to help them by making suggestions?  Of course, we would not tamper with anything except the improper Na'vi words and grammar, in order to help them bring it in line with the evolving language.  The customs, culture, xenobiology and xenobotany, etc. are solely Mr. Cameron's domain and I would never even think of doing anything with that.

What I would suggest is making a list of the improper words/phrases and working with Karyu Pawl to rework them so they reflect the true development of the language.  

For example, under the heading Na'vi, there is the subheading of Behavior.  Within that text is the word Olo'eyctan.  That should be olo'eyktan.  Tsahik should be tsahìk.

The next category is Feeding/Agriculture.  There is the phrase, "...a form of cultivation they call ska'waylu" This makes no sense nìNa'vi...'ska' being part of the word for 'destroy' and 'way' meaning ancient ceremonial song, while 'lu' means 'to be', particularly when the full phrase is supposed to mean 'encouragement': "... a form of cultivation they call ska'waylu which translates roughly as "encouragement," in which plants are brought together and treated with phermones and other natural agents..."

The next subheading is Na'vi Mating Practices and we have: "The intertwining of queues, called "Shahaylu"...."  YIKES!  What happened to tsaheylu?

And the Na'vi name for drinking gourd is "S'ashk'ey ge'inib or, informally, e'inib'sey"?  That looks like a Bene Geserit name for some exotic ritual!

Of course, I would never want to cause a problem, but it would be nice to know that we could lend Fox a hand if they chose to give their website a more authentic Na'vi flavor.   I believe people interested in the language would be more inclined to visit Fox's site for information if it actually reflected the latest information on the language, etc.  For that reason, I would see collaboration with Karyu Pawl and Fox as a true win/win.

But imho the whole project would have to be piloted by folks like William Annis, Markì, Plumps, Tirea Aean and a few others working in concert with Karyu Pawl, who presumably would be the man to know whom to contact at Fox.

Ekirä

Seze Mune

Tsyesìka

While I'm not sure I have time to help out I think this is a wonderful idea, just another place na'vi can be out there on the Internet ^_^ I hope this goes somewhere

Kamean

Human No More

Quote from: Kamean on April 19, 2012, 10:40:24 AM
That isn't official, it's edited by random people. It's a good overview, but the problem with such wikis is that they tend to attract people putting their own speculation/interpretation in.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Seze Mune

Which is exactly why I'd like to concentrate on Pandorapedia. 

Ironically, the wiki site probably has a higher percentage of correct Na'vi than the Pandorapedia site.  I may be wrong about this, but I think there are some Learn Na'vi members who are riding herd on the Avatar wiki site, trying to make sure the information is as correct as we are able to ascertain. 

Irtaviš Ačankif

I know this thread is old, but I also think that Pandorapedia needs to have amended Na'vi. Perhaps we could ask Frommer to come up with words for the stuff in Pandorapedia currently using gibberish names?  ;)
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on June 28, 2012, 02:24:54 AM
I know this thread is old, but I also think that Pandorapedia needs to have amended Na'vi. Perhaps we could ask Frommer to come up with words for the stuff in Pandorapedia currently using gibberish names?  ;)

This is an excellent idea, ma Uniltìrantokx.  Is there anyone planning on attending the meetup, who would undertake to ask Dr. Frommer about this possibility?

Puvomun

Quote from: Seze Mune on June 28, 2012, 10:27:19 AM
Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on June 28, 2012, 02:24:54 AM

This is an excellent idea, ma Uniltìrantokx.  Is there anyone planning on attending the meetup, who would undertake to ask Dr. Frommer about this possibility?

No one responded to this. It might be an idea to pick out the gibberish and make suggestions on the LEP sub-forum. That way there are more people thinking about it and it will eventually end up with Paul anyway.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tsmuktengan

Seze Mune

I think so too and probably long overdue.  But where to take it from here?

Puvomun

Some time ago, I recall, there was a thread somewhere that said that 'someone' (really don't remember who) was going to contact the pandorapedia people about this.
A forum-wide search on 'pandorapedia' will probably bring the right thread to our attention.

I tried - it didn't. Hmm. I am not awake yet, maybe we all can look around a bit more.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Alyara Arati

Seems like it might have been Toruk Makto??

I remember various "you da man!" comments...
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Puvomun

Quote from: Alyara Arati on August 19, 2012, 12:39:13 AM
Seems like it might have been Toruk Makto??

I remember various "you da man!" comments...

Yes, I think you're right.

Who is going to PM him? Doing that all at once would be overdone. Would be good if we recover the topic this was mentioned in.

Ngopyu ayvurä.