The Way of Eywa

Started by Tslolam, January 20, 2010, 12:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tslolam

I posted the following in my Intro thread:

QuoteI am a philosopher.  I am also an artist, graphic designer, and web designer.  I believe in God, and also in what the Chinese call Chi (life energy).  When I saw Avatar, however, these two concepts finally merged in the form of Eywa!  I realized then what I had to do.

I had already written several pages worth of philosophical beliefs over the past year or so, but it was simple to adapt them to a Na'vi perspective.  The rest was simply a matter of time, creating a website, creating graphics, etc. 

So, here is my creation: http://navieywa.atspace.com/

There isn't much there as of now, but I hope that will change.  I'd like to explore the concept of Eywa with you, and perhaps come to a better understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

I am truly fascinated by the idea of Eywa, and I get the impression that a lot of you are too.  My goal is essentially to discuss spiritual concepts with whoever is interested, about what Eywa is, and how we can apply it to our lives.  Personally I think this world could do with a little guidance from Eywa, perhaps in order to take better care of our planet and to feel more connected to it.

Anyway, feel free to jump on over there and introduce yourself on the forums, and how Eywa has led you to where you are now.
'Eveng Eywayä lu oe

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

We've already talked about this in the Custum and Culture board. We are veeeeery wary about starting anything tht sounds like a new religion. All that brings is negative press and bad news. What you've just discribed is pretty much the worship of Gaia, which is a religion we already have here on Earth. Do some research into that before you decided to start something new.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Nume fpi sänume

Moving this to said customs and culture board

Sol Lupusnight

I talked about this in one of my own posts, but yes we are being very wary about how we approach this, I was all in for this but now i've cooled down lol, and now im just adapting some of this into my personal path for myself not to share with anyone so that nothing bad comes from it to hurt this wonderful movie. and it's fans like me.
Oel Hawnu Eywati

Tslolam

The LAST thing I want to do is hurt the movie, or James Cameron or anyone involved.  While it wasn't my intention to create a new religion, I can see how that would eventually be the outcome.

So I'll drop the subject now.

Eywa ngahu
'Eveng Eywayä lu oe

Kawnga Tawtute

Eywa isn't a god, it didn't create anything nor has it got power, it is a soul.
A soul composed of the memories of an entire world, every living creature has shared his memories with it.
Eywa is for the Na'Vi just like culture for us, it is our patrimony where hundreds of generations have left their mark, developing ideas and spiritual values, imagine that we share our culture with all the other animals, Eywa is what you get.
I wouldn't consider it a religion, more and idea.
It is one big brain but instead of neurons it is composed by trees and plants.
So it has its values and i can decide for it's self, and since he is Pandora, he will always decide  to do the right thing like defending the forest with all of it's power.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Kawnga Tawtute on January 21, 2010, 10:19:40 AM
A soul composed of the memories of an entire world, every living creature has shared his memories with it.
Eywa is for the Na'Vi just like culture for us, it is our patrimony where hundreds of generations have left their mark, developing ideas and spiritual values, imagine that we share our culture with all the other animals, Eywa is what you get.
So it has its values and i can decide for it's self, and since he is Pandora, he will always decide  to do the right thing like defending the forest with all of it's power.

Well this is certainly one way to look at it, but how the Na'vi see her (they refer to her as the Great Mother) she is what we would classify as a god. It is a religion, it has just seeped into every part of their life that it is impossible to distinguish between the two. Much like Shinto in Japan, it has just become a part of everyday life. In most Western societies we like to seperate what is part of a religious act and what isn't, while for many other cultures it isn't so black and white.

To the Na'vi, Eywa is a god. How you discribe her, she still is a god. She is a spirit of higher power. They refer to her as The Great Mother, which suggests that they also view her as the Creator.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kawnga Tawtute

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 11:29:38 AM

Well this is certainly one way to look at it, but how the Na'vi see her (they refer to her as the Great Mother) she is what we would classify as a god. It is a religion, it has just seeped into every part of their life that it is impossible to distinguish between the two. Much like Shinto in Japan, it has just become a part of everyday life. In most Western societies we like to seperate what is part of a religious act and what isn't, while for many other cultures it isn't so black and white.

To the Na'vi, Eywa is a god. How you discribe her, she still is a god. She is a spirit of higher power. They refer to her as The Great Mother, which suggests that they also view her as the Creator.
yeah, that's all true, but remember, I am Kawnga Tawtute, and if you know what that means, you'll understand ;D

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Kawnga Tawtute on January 21, 2010, 01:20:25 PM
Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 11:29:38 AM

yeah, that's all true, but remember, I am Kawnga Tawtute, and if you know what that means, you'll understand ;D

Ha thank you for that, I now know the word that means my last name.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kawnga Tawtute

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 01:25:19 PM

Ha thank you for that, I now know the word that means my last name.
?? i didn't get that

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

My last name means Evil/Bad.

Which makes my full name, Kristi Boes, a strange one. Follower of Christ who is Evil. :P
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kawnga Tawtute

ben je en Hollander of en belg?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Eh...no? I'm an American of German descent. Sadly I speak none...I'm lame that way.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kawnga Tawtute

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 01:40:52 PM
Eh...no? I'm an American of German descent. Sadly I speak none...I'm lame that way.
well, boes means evil in Dutch, Flamish while in german it is b'o'se....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3t9QhtAofE

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Huh...Well I guess they are sister languages to a degree so things like names can intermingle a bit. Also the spelling for it is normally Bose, my family is just a bit strange. My dad side of the family is pretty well mapped out, so we know it has to be German. I wonder what they did to get the last name Evil  ??? It worries me a bit.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kawnga Tawtute

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 01:47:58 PM
Huh...Well I guess they are sister languages to a degree so things like names can intermingle a bit. Also the spelling for it is normally Bose, my family is just a bit strange. My dad side of the family is pretty well mapped out, so we know it has to be German. I wonder what they did to get the last name Evil  ??? It worries me a bit.
ahahah, evil german family of unknown origin xD
just joking, at least Boes is better then Schwarzenegger (black n****r) or Einstein (a stone) :D

****= vulgar way of saying dark skinned person.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oh dear, those are pretty horrible >.>
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Swok Txon

Omg that would suck

but could you have at least *** bleeped out some of the 'n' word

I say that because it is highly derogatory and i am part African American

>.<

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I'm sure they didn't mean to offend you. It is merely the direct translation of the name.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Swok Txon

O.o point taken as i just googled them

but he made them more literal then needed

carry on