Morphology analyser

Started by Wayutral, January 03, 2010, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayutral

Talkxì!
Is anybody already working on coding a morphology analyser for Na'vi?
I'm tempted to make one, for the challenge and in the hope it may be useful for the beginners.
I have a general idea how to put up the algorithms; any suggestion is welcome.

Numeie

Quote from: Wayutral on January 03, 2010, 09:46:18 AM
Talkxì!
Is anybody already working on coding a morphology analyser for Na'vi?
I'm tempted to make one, for the challenge and in the hope it may be useful for the beginners.
I have a general idea how to put up the algorithms; any suggestion is welcome.
I have thought about it but not started yet. First I want to know precisely what the rules are for syllable construction; I'm waiting to see whether anyone has anything useful to say in a thread I started about an apparent inconsistency between Frommer's statement on the subject and usage of the language.
Hispanohablantes, si queréis contribuir al wiki de Avatar en español os lo agradecería. http://es.james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/

Wayutral

Talkxì ma Numeie
I suppose you refer to your thread about "plltxe"?
I think it's possible to make a morphologic analyser even if we don't have the full phonotactics of the language. Basing it on loose patterns we may even manage to deal with loanwords that have exotic phonemes (there are a few).
What do you think?

Numeie

I was thinking in terms of an OO structure which built up letters into syllables into words, but I suppose that since the vowels are key for morphology we don't actually need that.
Hispanohablantes, si queréis contribuir al wiki de Avatar en español os lo agradecería. http://es.james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/

Wayutral

That's right, the nine vowels alone (including ll and rr) are a good start for a fuzzy analyser. I've started coding a few functions in php but I need to put together a dictionary data base with part of speech information (since one can't stick any infix or affix onto any type of word).

EDIT: The work has already been done: http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=1330.0

Nume fpi sänume

Lots of projects all going on at the same time. One of our most successful so far (the Na'vi Language Tool) is a combination of like 3-4 projects rolled into one. If your idea has been semi-done somewhere else, then ask that project developer if he/she needs any help.

Txen Seri Unil

Kaltxi!

I have been using the Na'vi -> English translator you posted but just realized something. It would help me more (and hopefully others) if there were an English to Na'vi translator! If it showed the infixes the same way that the Na'vi to English one does it would be great! If I started typing in a bunch of common phrases and saw how they morphed repeatedly in the same way my brain would lock in!

Thoughts?

I'll cross post this to the other thread as well.

Eywa ngahu,
Raw

Old name: Rawveggie. Upgraded to Na'vi name.

Txen Seri Unil = Awake + Make (present continuing tense) + Dream = Waking Dream

"The words are like stones in my heart." -Jake Sully
(Aylì'u lu na tskxe mì oeyä txe'lan. - Na'vi translation from script)

Wayutral

Nume fpi Sänume - Thanks, will do! It's great to see so many at work.
Rawveggie - Just in case there was a confusion: the translator on the other thread is not mine but Tuiq's.
This thread should now be left to sink into forum abysses.