words for the Q list – your ideas welcome!

Started by tsrräfkxätu, May 02, 2010, 05:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsrräfkxätu

This where we collect word/expression requests for Pawl. Note that stuff on this list will not be sent to him (he already got his thousand words) unless he specifically asks for a second batch of requests. Treat this as a repository of ideas.

Be sure to crosscheck the words you want to add with the two lists below!

Quote from: wm.annis
This has every word we have asked for so far (should never be more than a day out of date):
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/L_E_P/Wordlist.

This is a list of every word Frommer invented for the film or the game but which we may not yet have been told the Na'vi for:
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/L_E_P/Frommerian.
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

whipback

I didn't check for this, but how about the word "wenis" as in that wrinkly, stretchy skin on your elbow...
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rawke poyä mokrimaw slä terkupyu poyä maw taronyu.

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

wm.annis

My thought was that the entire Vocabulary Expansion forum would be shut down — readable, but not accepting changes — until such time as Karyu Pawl opened up another round.

'eylan na'viyä

why not move this thread to "language updates" and then lock the lep forum

wm.annis

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on May 02, 2010, 06:00:57 PMwhy not move this thread to "language updates" and then lock the lep forum

Certainly doable.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Here goes the first words for the Q list.....

Heinous - A term used to describe a very revolting, disagreeable, senseless act.

"The attack on hometree by the skypeople was heinous"
"What was done to the women and children was so henious he couldn't bring himself to talk about it"

Egregious - An act of wrongdoing that is 'way over the line', especially in a legal sense.

"The son riding his father's ikran was an egregious breach of tribal protocol"

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 08, 2010, 11:17:30 PM
Here goes the first words for the Q list.....

Heinous - A term used to describe a very revolting, disagreeable, senseless act.

"The attack on hometree by the skypeople was heinous"
"What was done to the women and children was so henious he couldn't bring himself to talk about it"

Egregious - An act of wrongdoing that is 'way over the line', especially in a legal sense.

"The son riding his father's ikran was an egregious breach of tribal protocol"

Definitely need this.

Currently my translation of "heinous crime" in the bad horse chorus ta doctor horrible is "kemo akawng".
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tsamsiyu92

Why has someone requested "anus"? Doesn't "txim" suffice well enough?

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on May 09, 2010, 04:19:15 AM
I'm sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but they are distinct parts of the body, wouldn't you agree? ::)

Some nouns:
the temple (of the head)
the dust (that collects in the corners)
a perfume/fragrance (good smell)
a stench (bad smell)
[Do we know anything about the olfactory capabilities of the Na'vi?]

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on May 09, 2010, 06:21:41 AM
Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on May 09, 2010, 04:19:15 AM
I'm sorry if it offends your sensibilities, but they are distinct parts of the body, wouldn't you agree? ::)

Some nouns:
the temple (of the head)
the dust (that collects in the corners)
a perfume/fragrance (good smell)
a stench (bad smell)
[Do we know anything about the olfactory capabilities of the Na'vi?]

I thought I had suggested 'stench' at some point along the way. If I did, it didn't make any lists. I checked, and there is no word suggested for 'stench' or 'stink' for that matter. There is a word for smell, fahew, but no positive/negative meaning attached to it. I suppose you could use kawnga fahew, but words like 'stink' and 'stench' have a stronger connotation, just as 'henious' does over 'wrong'.

"The dead toruk gave off quite a stench" - kind of noun-ish
"that root really stinks when it is cooked, but it tastes wonderful" - kind of adjective-ish

'dust' is a really good catch, and should have been an A or B word. Oh well.....

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

tsrräfkxätu

to value/to hold dear, to be dear to one "I value our friendship." "This armband my mother weaved is dear to me." "Step aside if you value your life!" (My feeling is that lu oeru yawne would be too strong in these cases.)

Also, dear if it's different from yawne.

silly (adj./adv.) – frivolous(ly); acting/being all weird and crazy, but in a harmless and/or entertaining way.

a kiss (n.)tìpom/säpom might work, but there must be a non-derived word for this. Maybe pom as well or an onomatopoeia which comes from the sound smack.
Also, a name (if there's one) for the other kind involving the tongues. I'd suggest something with a syllabic ll in it. :D

Prrton

I found some cool Ainu words today and just wanted to let someone/anyone/everyone know.

rarutur (ラルトゥル) - the space between the eyebrows
sikkes (シㇰケシ) - the outer end or outer corner of an eye
am (アㇺ) - claw, talon; nail (of a finger or a toe)
kap (カㇷ゚) - skin, fur, rind, peel, bark, outer covering of anything

sinep (シネプ) - one thing
sinen (シネン) - one person

tup (トゥプ) - two things (< *tu pe)        DUAL
tun (トゥン) - two persons (< *tu niu)

rep (レプ) - three things (<*re pe)          TRIAL! Not just for Na'vi
ren (レン) - three persons (<*re niu)

inep (イネㇷ゚) - four things                     QUADRAL!!
inen (イネン) - four persons

aycaro (アィチャロ) - nock of an arrow

aykap (アィカㇷ゚) - to be inept, to be clumsy, to be unskillful, to be poor (at doing something)

hom (ホㇺ) - a knot (in wood); a joint (of bamboo)

homar (ホマㇻ) - to be vague, to be faint, to be indistinct, to be dim

kem (ケㇺ) - shortage of food, famine, hunger, starvation
  kemekot (ケメコッ) - to starve to death, to die of hunger
  kemnoye (ケㇺノイェ) - to starve to death, to die of hunger
  kemus (ケムㇱ) - famished, starving; there is/was a famine

kumius (クミウㇱ) - moldy, rotten and covered in mold
pene (ペネ) - thoroughly rotten, soft with decay, rotten and sticky or slimy

kupapa (クパパ) - to bite and hold on with the teeth

ekimne - to go to the mountains

erampokinu - to be a pity

inunkuri - unbearable

iyoykir - implements of rites, ritual implements

mike - to glitter

nuye - to write; to tattoo; to carve

oruspe - rumors

rototo - successive

tomte - to beautify

Some of these are probably in A, B, & C already in some shape or form. I just liked them.

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

How about a word for "procrastinate"? I'd certainly use that often.  :D

Kì'eyawn

Ma Prrton, i find it interesting that there's a dedicated word "to go to the mountains."  I wonder if the Na'vi would have a similarly, unusually specific verb—to go to Iknimaya, maybe?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Prrton

Quote from: tigermind on May 12, 2010, 08:33:46 PM
Ma Prrton, i find it interesting that there's a dedicated word "to go to the mountains."  I wonder if the Na'vi would have a similarly, unusually specific verb—to go to Iknimaya, maybe?

I think there might be lots of opportunities for things specifically along those lines that are environmentally very specific, but they're likely the kind of thing that might start touching on culture in a way that K. Pawl might not be comfortable making decisions without input from Cameron.

He can always say "no" though.  ;)

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Prrton on May 12, 2010, 05:02:46 PM
inep (イネㇷ゚) - four things                     QUADRAL!!

That's interesting, I was reading up on grammatical number on wikipedia (I'm not really enough of a linguistic to get the sources) and it said that there are no known languages with a quadral, it mentions two that were thought to have one but it was actually a paucal form, is it something similar in Ainu or does the article need editing?
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on May 13, 2010, 12:52:47 AM

That's interesting, I was reading up on grammatical number on wikipedia (I'm not really enough of a linguistic to get the sources) and it said that there are no known languages with a quadral, it mentions two that were thought to have one but it was actually a puacal form, is it something similar in Ainu or does the article need editing?

yeah, thats interesting!

asking as a non-linguist: is puacal a number-range or does the number depend on the context?

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on May 13, 2010, 05:49:18 AM
Quote from: kemeoauniaea on May 13, 2010, 12:52:47 AM

That's interesting, I was reading up on grammatical number on wikipedia (I'm not really enough of a linguistic to get the sources) and it said that there are no known languages with a quadral, it mentions two that were thought to have one but it was actually a puacal form, is it something similar in Ainu or does the article need editing?

yeah, thats interesting!

asking as a non-linguist: is puacal a number-range or does the number depend on the context?

It's actually paucal, and it basically means a few. Suppose that hol in Na'vi were the paucal number then you'd say *holsamsiyu to mean a "few warriors."

(On a related note, I wonder if something is few in quantity do we still need the plural in Na'vi? I mean, how few can a few be if it's already more than three, thus in the plural?)

edit: Just to make things a little bit more clear; in languages that have the paucal, the numbers are as follows:
singular < dual < trial < paucal < plural.

wm.annis

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on May 13, 2010, 12:52:47 AMThat's interesting, I was reading up on grammatical number on wikipedia (I'm not really enough of a linguistic to get the sources) and it said that there are no known languages with a quadral, it mentions two that were thought to have one but it was actually a puacal form, is it something similar in Ainu or does the article need editing?

Those are actually the numeral "four" with classifier suffixes.

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: wm.annis on May 13, 2010, 07:22:33 AM
Quote from: kemeoauniaea on May 13, 2010, 12:52:47 AMThat's interesting, I was reading up on grammatical number on wikipedia (I'm not really enough of a linguistic to get the sources) and it said that there are no known languages with a quadral, it mentions two that were thought to have one but it was actually a puacal form, is it something similar in Ainu or does the article need editing?

Those are actually the numeral "four" with classifier suffixes.

Ooh right, I recall reading that in Japanese you have all these different "numbers" depending on what you want to count. Like three in "three sheets of paper" is different from, three in "three blades of grass," and "three nuggets of gold," etc. (These examples might be off,  I know nothing about Japanese.)