Belo Monte Dam in Brazil - WITH UPDATES

Started by Toruk Makto, April 26, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

I've just signed as well. Oh man, I am WAY behind. I'm only just now hearing about all this :(

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Toruk Makto

Developer Backing Out of Loan for Construction of Risky Belo Monte Dam
After Last Week's Green Light to Begin Construction, the Dam Consortium Faces Another Hurdle as BNDES Reveals It Will Not Release Funds Until Full License Granted

Amazon Watch, International Rivers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | February 3, 2011

For more information, contact:
Caroline Bennett, Amazon Watch, 415-487-9600 x327, [email protected]
Zachary Hurwitz, International Rivers, 510-848-1155, [email protected]

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – After learning that the Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES) will not release funds from the $640 million bridge loan issued in late December unless Brazilian legislation is honored, the dam consortium Norte Energia, S.A. (NESA) is threatening to drop the loan and is now seeking private funders to finance initial construction on the Belo Monte Dam Complex in the Brazilian Amazon. This follows last week's issuance of a "partial" installation license – non-existent within Brazilian environmental legislation – by Brazil's environmental agency IBAMA, allowing NESA to open access roads and initiate forest clearing at dam construction sites in an area of 2,118 acres.

While BNDES has publicly committed to financing 70-80% of the cost of the Belo Monte Dam Complex, it will not release any funds until Norte Energia, S.A. has met 40 social and environmental loan conditions tied to the project's preliminary license and until a full installation license is issued. In frustration, NESA is seeking private funders who may be less concerned about conditions being met to bankroll initial construction while compromising indigenous and local communities, thousands of acres of rainforests and the Brazilian law.

"NESA's decision to drop the bridge loan issued by BNDES sends a pretty clear message that the project's legal risk is higher than analysts thought. It is a signal that NESA is not interested in following Brazilian federal legislation. If they are unwilling or unable to oblige BNDES' standard loan conditions now, there's a good chance they will also ignore subsequent legislated loan conditions further on, when the real costs of the project start to emerge. The resulting credit risk is dangerous to the bank," said Zachary Hurwitz, Policy Program Coordinator at International Rivers.

The issuance of a "partial" installation license by IBAMA last week, prior to addressing over 40 social and environmental conditions, has been decried by impacted communities, Brazilian civil society and the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office (Ministério Público Federal or MPF), which issued a record tenth lawsuit related to the hydroelectric dam after finding evidence that the license violated Brazilian constitutional law. BNDES has come under increasing scrutiny from the MPF and NGOs due to alarming evidence that approval is based on political rather than economic grounds, often downplaying problems of economic viability and compliance with social and environmental safeguards.

"We welcome the BNDES decision to observe Brazilian environmental laws," said Atossa Soltani, Executive Director of Amazon Watch. "Given that the Belo Monte Dam project clearly violates the Equator Principles for environmental and social sustainability, we urge BNDES and other potential investors to reject future financing of the project."

The risky USD $17 billion Belo Monte Dam Complex will divert nearly the entire flow of the Xingu River along a 62-mile stretch. Its reservoirs will flood more than 100,000 acres of rainforest and local settlements, displace more than 40,000 people and generate vast quantities of methane – a greenhouse gas at least 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

NOTE: Amazon Watch, International Rivers and Rainforest Foundation UK will be leading a delegation of indigenous leaders from Brazil and Peru impacted by BNDES loans to European cities from February 20-March 2.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Zefanaya

Quote from: Markì on February 03, 2011, 06:54:32 PM
Developer Backing Out of Loan for Construction of Risky Belo Monte Dam
After Last Week's Green Light to Begin Construction, the Dam Consortium Faces Another Hurdle as BNDES Reveals It Will Not Release Funds Until Full License Granted

Amazon Watch, International Rivers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | February 3, 2011

For more information, contact:
Caroline Bennett, Amazon Watch, 415-487-9600 x327, [email protected]
Zachary Hurwitz, International Rivers, 510-848-1155, [email protected]

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – After learning that the Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES) will not release funds from the $640 million bridge loan issued in late December unless Brazilian legislation is honored, the dam consortium Norte Energia, S.A. (NESA) is threatening to drop the loan and is now seeking private funders to finance initial construction on the Belo Monte Dam Complex in the Brazilian Amazon. This follows last week's issuance of a "partial" installation license – non-existent within Brazilian environmental legislation – by Brazil's environmental agency IBAMA, allowing NESA to open access roads and initiate forest clearing at dam construction sites in an area of 2,118 acres.

While BNDES has publicly committed to financing 70-80% of the cost of the Belo Monte Dam Complex, it will not release any funds until Norte Energia, S.A. has met 40 social and environmental loan conditions tied to the project's preliminary license and until a full installation license is issued. In frustration, NESA is seeking private funders who may be less concerned about conditions being met to bankroll initial construction while compromising indigenous and local communities, thousands of acres of rainforests and the Brazilian law.

"NESA's decision to drop the bridge loan issued by BNDES sends a pretty clear message that the project's legal risk is higher than analysts thought. It is a signal that NESA is not interested in following Brazilian federal legislation. If they are unwilling or unable to oblige BNDES' standard loan conditions now, there's a good chance they will also ignore subsequent legislated loan conditions further on, when the real costs of the project start to emerge. The resulting credit risk is dangerous to the bank," said Zachary Hurwitz, Policy Program Coordinator at International Rivers.

The issuance of a "partial" installation license by IBAMA last week, prior to addressing over 40 social and environmental conditions, has been decried by impacted communities, Brazilian civil society and the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office (Ministério Público Federal or MPF), which issued a record tenth lawsuit related to the hydroelectric dam after finding evidence that the license violated Brazilian constitutional law. BNDES has come under increasing scrutiny from the MPF and NGOs due to alarming evidence that approval is based on political rather than economic grounds, often downplaying problems of economic viability and compliance with social and environmental safeguards.

"We welcome the BNDES decision to observe Brazilian environmental laws," said Atossa Soltani, Executive Director of Amazon Watch. "Given that the Belo Monte Dam project clearly violates the Equator Principles for environmental and social sustainability, we urge BNDES and other potential investors to reject future financing of the project."

The risky USD $17 billion Belo Monte Dam Complex will divert nearly the entire flow of the Xingu River along a 62-mile stretch. Its reservoirs will flood more than 100,000 acres of rainforest and local settlements, displace more than 40,000 people and generate vast quantities of methane – a greenhouse gas at least 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

NOTE: Amazon Watch, International Rivers and Rainforest Foundation UK will be leading a delegation of indigenous leaders from Brazil and Peru impacted by BNDES loans to European cities from February 20-March 2.

Siltsan!
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

ExLibrisMortis

Not good, this means that the developer's don't give a damn about where the money comes from, or what kind of rules are attached to said money. But it also shows that the market itself will fix things if left to take its course.

Toruk Makto

They never really have. What is encouraging here is that the waffling backseat politicians that were scared to come out in opposition to the project may find their spines now that the bank has taken a stand.

Zefanaya

Quote from: Markì on February 04, 2011, 12:50:13 AM
They never really have. What is encouraging here is that the waffling backseat politicians that were scared to come out in opposition to the project may find their spines now that the bank has taken a stand.

Well hopefully.
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tirey Hawnuyu on February 04, 2011, 01:08:07 AM
Quote from: Markì on February 04, 2011, 12:50:13 AM

Well hopefully.

Agreed, hopefully.

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Toruk Makto

MEDIA ADVISORY
FEBRUARY 7, 2011

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Tica Minami +55 (11) 6597-8359 or Caroline Bennett +1 (415) 487-9600
Verena Glass +55 (11) 9853-9950 or Brent Millikan +55 (61) 8153-7009

Dam-Affected People to Deliver 500,000-Strong Petition Calling on Brazil's President Dilma to Stop the Belo Monte Dam

Amazonian Indigenous People and Dam-Affected Communities Will Protest Against the Controversial Dam in Brasilia on Tuesday, February 8th

When: Tuesday, February 8 at 9:30 am (Brasilia time)

Where: Outside the Brazilian National Congress, Brasilia, Brazil

What: Petition Delivery and Protest
More than 500,000 people in Brazil and abroad have signed a petition calling on the Dilma Rousseff administration to halt the Belo Monte Dam, the world's third largest, planned for the Xingu River in the Amazon. The petition, organized by the international online advocacy organization Avaaz, will be delivered to the Brazilian government during a colorful demonstration against the dam organized by diverse organizations in Brasilia, including the Movimento Xingu Vivo para Sempre.

Who: The protest will be attended by more than 150-200 dam-affected people and indigenous Kayapo, Juruna, Arara and Xipaya, living near the site of proposed construction as well as in the regions of Altamira Ourilândia do Norte, Tucumã, São Félix do Xingu and the state of Mato Grosso. The protest will be attended by representatives of Brazil's Movement of Dam-Affected People and dozens of social and environmental activists.

Among the confirmed attendees are Kayapó chief Megaron Txucarramãe from Mato Grosso state; Sheyla Juruna, Juruna leader from the municipality of Altamira; Chief Ozimar Juruna, from Paquicamba village in Altamira; Josinei Arara, leader of Arara village in Altamira; and Antonia Melo, coordinator of the Movimento Xingu Vivo para Sempre. Brazilian singer and songwriter Marlui Miranda is expected to attend and perform at the demonstration. Brazilian actor Marcos Palmeira and other well known Brazilian artists will be attending in support.

The demonstration is being organized by the Movimento Xingu Vivo para Sempre, the Conselho Indigenista Missionário (Missionary Indigenous Council), the Movimento dos Atingidos por Barragens (MAB, or Movement of Dam-Affected People), the Coordenação das Organizações Indígenas da Amazônia Brasileira (COIAB, Indigenous Organizations Coordination of the Brazilian Amazon), Instituto Socioambiental (ISA) and is being promoted globally by Amazon Watch, International Rivers and Avaaz.

###

My thoughts and prayers will be with them. I wish I could actually be with them in person.

-Txonä Rolyu

Txura Rolyu

Lets hope they make the press too. We know that Egypt is having problems but that is old news. Lets here something new that affects all of us on this planet. Lose the forest you lose time for this world to last for us.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

I'm keeping my fingers crossed  :). I actually didn't expect the protests and petitions to have such a dramatic effect in such a short time period  :).
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Raise 'em  >:(!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Raises fist into the air, Ten Thousand Fists by Disturbed can be heard in the background.*  ;D

ExLibrisMortis

The power of the government is given by consent of the governed.

Redpaintednavi

Now the petition is delivered.

QuoteDam-Affected People Deliver Half a Million Signatures Calling on Brazil's President Dilma to Stop the Belo Monte Dam

Several Hundred Amazonian Indigenous Leaders and Dam-Affected People Participate in Colorful Demonstration and Deliver Signatures to the Office of the President

Brasilia, Brazil,  Over half a million people, most of them Brazilians, are calling on newly-elected President Dilma to halt plans to construct the Belo Monte Dam. Outside the Brazilian Congress and Presidential Palace this morning, several hundred people gathered in protest including indigenous chiefs in full tribal regalia and community leaders from the Xingu River Basin, and delivered the petition signatures to the Dilma Government.
A delegation of leaders went inside the Presidential Palace around noon to present the petition, among them were Kayapo chiefs Raoni Metuktire and Megaron Txucarramae from Mato Grosso state; Chief Ozimar Juruna from Paquicamba village in Altamira; Josinei Arara, leader of the Arara village in Altamira; Sheyla Juruna, a leader of the Juruna people; and Antonia Melo, coordinator of the Movimento Xingu Vivo para Sempre.

This is a life and death struggle, said Sheyla Juruna, one of the delegates who met with the Office of the President. By pushing forward with this dam, the Dilma government is trampling on our rights. This is not just about defending the Xingu River, it is about the health of the Amazon rainforest and our planet.

http://amazonwatch.org/news/2011/0208-dam-affected-people-deliver-half-a-million-signatures-to-stop-the-belo-monte-dam

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Thanks, for the update, I've been wondering what has happened. I'll be continuing prayers for them.

-Txonä Rolyu

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Redpaintednavi on February 10, 2011, 07:22:38 AM
Now the petition is delivered.

QuoteDam-Affected People Deliver Half a Million Signatures Calling on Brazil's President Dilma to Stop the Belo Monte Dam

Several Hundred Amazonian Indigenous Leaders and Dam-Affected People Participate in Colorful Demonstration and Deliver Signatures to the Office of the President

Brasilia, Brazil,  Over half a million people, most of them Brazilians, are calling on newly-elected President Dilma to halt plans to construct the Belo Monte Dam. Outside the Brazilian Congress and Presidential Palace this morning, several hundred people gathered in protest including indigenous chiefs in full tribal regalia and community leaders from the Xingu River Basin, and delivered the petition signatures to the Dilma Government.
A delegation of leaders went inside the Presidential Palace around noon to present the petition, among them were Kayapo chiefs Raoni Metuktire and Megaron Txucarramae from Mato Grosso state; Chief Ozimar Juruna from Paquicamba village in Altamira; Josinei Arara, leader of the Arara village in Altamira; Sheyla Juruna, a leader of the Juruna people; and Antonia Melo, coordinator of the Movimento Xingu Vivo para Sempre.

This is a life and death struggle, said Sheyla Juruna, one of the delegates who met with the Office of the President. By pushing forward with this dam, the Dilma government is trampling on our rights. This is not just about defending the Xingu River, it is about the health of the Amazon rainforest and our planet.

http://amazonwatch.org/news/2011/0208-dam-affected-people-deliver-half-a-million-signatures-to-stop-the-belo-monte-dam

Yes, it's really paying off  :)! My regards to Raoni, Megaron, Ozimar, Josinei, Sheyla, Antonia and all others participating  :)! And i feel the same you do, ma Txonä: I wish i could be there standing by their side  :(.