Belo Monte Dam in Brazil - WITH UPDATES

Started by Toruk Makto, April 26, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txantslusam Skxawng

I was glad singing the petition a while back, I did it on the last day, I had almost forgot ( shame on me :P )
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on February 11, 2011, 09:48:46 AM
I was glad singing the petition a while back, I did it on the last day, I had almost forgot ( shame on me :P )

Yeah, that'd be a shame  :P!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Human No More

I signed quite a while ago, I've also done the letter...
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

‘Eylan hufweyä

I just signed it, too. I am glad to do something and not just sit there and watch problems grow.
Fus Ro Dah!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Hey all....might wanna check this out ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Ekirä

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on March 03, 2011, 01:52:33 AM
Hey all....might wanna check this out ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

O.o TXANTSAN! ;D ;D ;D I'm surprised other places didn't advertise it....?

Kì'eyawn

eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Toruk Makto

This is late, but is the AmazonWatch release on the event mentioned in the Avatar 2 article referenced above.

Brazil Judge Blocks Amazon Belo Monte Dam

February 26, 2011 | Source: BBC

Para, Brazil – A Brazilian judge has blocked plans to build a huge hydro-electric dam in the Amazon rainforest because of environmental concerns.

Federal judge Ronaldo Desterro said environmental requirements to build the Belo Monte dam had not been met.

He also barred the national development bank, BNDES, from funding the project.

The dam is a cornerstone of President Dilma Rousseff's plans to upgrade Brazil's energy infrastructure.

But it has faced protests and challenges from environmentalists and local indigenous groups who say it will harm the world's largest tropical rainforest and displace tens of thousands of people.

Judge Desterro said the Brazilian environmental agency, Ibama, had approved the project without ensuring that 29 environmental conditions had been met.

In particular, he said concerns that the dam would disrupt the flow of the Xingu river - one of the Amazon's main tributaries - had not been met.

His ruling is the latest stage in a long legal battle over Belo Monte. Previous injunctions blocking construction have been overturned.

The government says the Belo Monte dam is crucial for development and will create jobs, as well as provide electricity to 23 million homes.

The 11,000-megawatt dam would be the biggest in the world after the Three Gorges in China and Itaipu, which is jointly run by Brazil and Paraguay.

It has long been a source of controversy, with bidding halted three times before the state-owned Companhia Hidro Eletrica do Sao Francisco was awarded the contract last year.

Celebrities such as the singer Sting and film director James Cameron have joined environmentalists in their campaign against the project.

They say the 6km (3.7 miles) dam will threaten the survival of a number of indigenous groups and could make some 50,000 people homeless, as 500 sq km (190 sq miles) of land would be flooded.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

nawma skxawng

[url=http://j.mp/USEastLN][img]http://j.mp/e2FA8X[/img][/url]

'Awvea ultxari ohengeyä, nawma sa'nok lrrtok siveiyi

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

``They will remember
The night they were struck by
The sight of
Ten thousand fists in the air!!!!!!!!´´

That's what i'm talking about  ;D!

So, what's next? Halting gorilla hunting in Kongo, maybe  ::)?
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

RDA or Na'vi, TOGETHER AVATAR FANS STAND STRONG! We can actually do this!

ExLibrisMortis

Just want to let ya'll know, the project isn't "dead". It's on a hiatus now. It's up to the damn builders to see if its worth the time and money to continue on in the legal system with this. Just because they arn't able to meet the evironmental requirements doesn't mean that the government can't pass a new contract that lessens the requirements.

Because as it is now, the only thing that's stopping them is not meeting the environmental safety issues.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Well then let's hope they either give up or comply with the current environmental safety issues.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Toruk Makto

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on March 03, 2011, 03:09:58 PM
Just want to let ya'll know, the project isn't "dead". It's on a hiatus now. It's up to the damn builders to see if its worth the time and money to continue on in the legal system with this. Just because they arn't able to meet the evironmental requirements doesn't mean that the government can't pass a new contract that lessens the requirements.

Because as it is now, the only thing that's stopping them is not meeting the environmental safety issues.

The funding has also been denied in the same action.

ExLibrisMortis

Yes, but the reason being is that they didn't meet the Environmental standards. That is the released clause right there. Once they meet said standards, or the standards are changed, then they are free to fund and free to continue building.

Toruk Makto

Hmmm, well hopefully the touring run that the tribal representatives did through the EU will help. This dam is a really bad idea, not just environmentally, but economically as well.

Toruk Makto

And ELM is right. It's already reversed and on again. It seems that the government's corporate lackies haven't given up.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Markì on March 04, 2011, 12:45:03 AM
And ELM is right. It's already reversed and on again. It seems that the government's corporate lackies haven't given up.

...and neither should will the people >:(

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!