Belo Monte Dam in Brazil - WITH UPDATES

Started by Toruk Makto, April 26, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExLibrisMortis

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

ExLibrisMortis

The OAS is a huge organization with a huge amount of backing. If they're involved, sh** just got serious.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on April 06, 2011, 02:41:32 AM
The OAS is a huge organization with a huge amount of backing. If they're involved, sh** just got serious.
Agreed. That's precisely the reason I put that announcement post in the news ticker. This is indeed a major advancement of the issue.

ta Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Major action is on, w00t  ;D! I guess the idea of eco-terrorism can be thrown down the dumpster now  :P  ;D!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Txura Rolyu

Two thumbs way up for the protection of human rights and the enviroment!
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Toruk Makto

Eco terrorism is still terrorism and wrong, IMO.

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Markì on April 06, 2011, 06:40:59 PM
Mllte
But Eco-sabotage isn't as bad, as long as no one gets hurt
they killed the [you] tag

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on April 06, 2011, 06:43:38 PM
Mllte

Don't worry, ma Markì, i never intended to commit eco-terrorism, although i have to admit i've wished the life off these bastards that intend to build this hellhole of a dam. But if wishing someone was dead would be a crime, i guess we'd all be guilty  :P  ;D!

Ma Vawm, eco-sabotage doesn't sound that bad  ;). If construction of the dam should begin, someone could sneak in there with some explosives while the construction workers are off their shifts and blow the damned thing  :o  ;)!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on April 07, 2011, 02:37:35 PM
Mllte

Don't worry, ma Markì, i never intended to commit eco-terrorism, although i have to admit i've wished the life off these bastards that intend to build this hellhole of a dam. But if wishing someone was dead would be a crime, i guess we'd all be guilty  :P  ;D!

Ma Vawm, eco-sabotage doesn't sound that bad  ;). If construction of the dam should begin, someone could sneak in there with some explosives while the construction workers are off their shifts and blow the damned thing  :o  ;)!
While I suspect you're only half serious destroying a structure illegally is never a good idea. At best it goes off without a hitch but all you'll really do is just make the project cost more, if they've built enough for your to destroy then everyone is already far too invested in the project to just quit. However, if it doesn't go off without a hitch then likely you'll just damage the structure meaning that people will have the dangerous task of repairing it. I know I would not look forward to working in or on something that could collapse at any moment. Plus, you could never truly guarantee that someone wouldn't get hurt.

Finally, if you did sabotage it then it might actually hurt the cause against the dam. All the credibility of the native people to be displaced would be replaced by an image of violent, savage people who aren't deserving of compassion in the eyes of the general public.

Vawm tsamsiyu

Well if my government was going to destroy my home with a giant dam when the dam itself is illegal and they ignored all protests from everyone and built it illegally anyway then at some point I'd have to fight for my home and my rights

Tonbogiri

That is fantastic. You know, I was told my a skeptical friend that "one name on a form won't make a difference"...look who's wrong!

A good thing indeed.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

ExLibrisMortis

As many as would like to think the petition made a different, petitions rarely if ever truly make a difference. The majority of the time the signatures on said petition are done ignorantly. I mean, someone could come up to you and say "sign this to save X forest" when really its taking privately owned land away from its owner and placed under government control... Which whenever anything gets under ANY governments control, it tends to be worse off.

But I digress, with the OAS stepping in on this matter, big changes will happen. If not changes, then the publicity will only increase really.

Tonbogiri

Heh, you are right.

In all honesty, I suppose it just makes me feel better about myself! Especially now that the OAS has stepped in.
Just shows - "read before you sign!"

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Txura Rolyu

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Ku'rända

Mllte

It's only terrorism when the offending party is desperately trying to find a way to justify what they're doing as correct while having greenfolk protest more than just with pickets and words.

Give us a chance, MORON!

Toruk Makto

...Or when non-involved individuals are harmed or used against their will to make a point.

Redpaintednavi

James Cameron and Arnold Schwartzenegger have visited the Xingu, but unfortunately that seems not make any impression on the Brazilian government who just press on.

QuoteAMAZON WATCH

"Following the visit to the Xingu, we traveled to Manaus to the Global Sustainability Forum where world leaders, including Bill Clinton, reminded Brazil that it is responsible for "the stewardship of the greatest rainforest of the world", and called on Brazil to lead the world on a green energy pathway.

"You need more electricity. You need it to be clean. You want to preserve native cultures and you need to preserve the rainforest. If you reach a critical juncture, you'll change it forever and it can't be recovered and the rest of the world is depending on you because about 20% of non ocean oxygen comes from you...The whole world needs you to resolve this."

Unfortunately, the Brazilian government doesn't appear to be listening. After dismissing demands from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights of the Organization of American States to suspend the dam's licensing process until serious human rights violations have been remedied, the government is fast-tracking the dam's full installation license and seeking to initiate construction as early as next month.

It is urgent that the Brazilian government hear the call from Brazilians and the international community to defend the Amazon, indigenous rights and reconsider its plans for the Belo Monte Dam and 60 other large dams planned for the Amazon. Energy efficiency and clean renewable energy, such as solar and wind, are viable and essential solutions to more dirty dams. The entire world depends on it. "

(quoted from the Amazon Watch e-mail newsletter, April 22, 2011)

http://amazonwatch.org/news/2011/0422-a-call-for-renewable-energy-in-brazil

It seems that the Brazilian government live in their own bubble, governed by concepts of short term profit and prestige, and refuse to take the environmental, ecological and humanitarian reality into consideration. Such a government is a threat to its own country, nature and people.

Vawm tsamsiyu

What's it going to take to get them to listen, a cruise missile hitting their stupid dam?

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

* Starts to plan how to destroy the dam.*  >:(