Belo Monte Dam in Brazil - WITH UPDATES

Started by Toruk Makto, April 26, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Hostile, irresponsible and repressive governments are under fire everywhere, it seems.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on June 07, 2011, 06:17:18 PM
Eletronorte is a pimp, and the Brazilian government is their whore.

That's a bit over the top rhetorically, but I think it pretty much sums up their actions...

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Markì on June 07, 2011, 08:37:09 PM
Hostile, irresponsible and repressive governments are under fire everywhere, it seems.

I don't want to derail this thread but many of these "revolts" that are happening are having some very strange coincidences between them regarding what's/who's actually starting the revolts.

Toruk Makto

Interesting, yes. But... As you said, back to the topic.   :)

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Markì on June 07, 2011, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on June 05, 2011, 03:53:34 PM
The endgame is about to begin...

Ma oeyä 'eylan, you could be quite right...

"The Brazilian government's insistence on fast-tracking the Belo Monte project in violation of its own laws, along with growing evidence of the project's lack of economic viability, have intensified opposition throughout the country. Since the installation license was issued last week, street protests have erupted in seven Brazilian cities, including São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and Belém. Over the weekend, the Kayapó indigenous people, led by legendary Chief Raoni, staged a protest in the town of Colider and vowed to put their lives on the line to resist the Belo Monte Dam."

I wish I could get down there for that.

I guess you're right, ma Markì  :(. It is coming to an end...

Quote from: MarkìI wish I could get down there for that.

Me too  :(. I'm pissed at the Brazilian goverment  >:(!!!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Raiden

Reading about this dam always makes me feel....

Murderous.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Raiden on June 10, 2011, 03:07:25 PM
Reading about these this dam always makes me feel....

Murderous.

I sympatize, ma tsmukan.

Toruk Makto

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 16, 2011

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Christian Poirier
Amazon Watch:     +1 510 666 7565
[email protected]
Brent Millikan
International Rivers:     +55 61 8153 7009
[email protected]
Astrid Puentes
AIDA:     +52 1 55 2301 6639
[email protected]

Belo Monte Dam May Lead Brazil to OAS High Court
Local communities and NGOs deliver petition exposing human rights violations to Inter-American Commission on Human Rights

Brasilia, Brazil – Local communities and NGOs delivered a petition to the Organization of American States' (OAS) human rights body today claiming that Brazil has steamrolled human rights in its rush to fast-track construction of the controversial Belo Monte Dam, slated for construction on the Xingu River in the Amazon interior. The petition, signed by representatives of indigenous communities and other populations threatened by the dam, denounced the Brazilian government and called on the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) to declare human rights violations, order the cancellation of the project and pay damages.

Two weeks ago the Brazilian government defied IACHR's demand that Brazil halt the dam's licensing process. Brazil instead granted Belo Monte's installation license, clearing the way to commence construction despite blatant non-compliance with social and environmental protections.

Petition-signers scrutinized illegal aspects of the dam's licensing process, especially with regard to the rights of indigenous peoples living along the Big Bend of the Xingu River, where 80% of the river's flow would be diverted to an artificial reservoir, undermining livelihoods and potentially leading to the forced displacement of thousands of people in clear violation of Brazil's Constitution and international law.

NGO and legal groups expect the Commission to determine that the Brazilian government has violated the rights of local peoples, and will recommend compensation. If the government continues to ignore the IACHR, the case could go to the Inter-American Court on Human Rights, which could formally condemn the Brazilian government for violations of its international obligations.

The petition delivery today follows an initial complaint submitted last November that led to the granting of "precautionary measures" by the IACHR in April 2011. These measures recommended to the Brazilian government that urgent action be taken to guarantee the rights of indigenous peoples – as required by the Brazilian Constitution and international agreements such as the American Convention on Human Rights, Convention 169 of the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples – before proceeding with dam construction. That decision by the IACHR provoked a defensive response from the administration of President Dilma Rousseff, which refused to take additional measures to protect indigenous rights.

Eleven civil actions lawsuits against the Belo Monte Dam, filed by the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office, are still pending in Brazilian courts.

"It is clear that the Brazilian judicial system is not working to protect human rights in the case of mega-infrastructure projects such as Belo Monte, given the tremendous economic and political pressures, often linked to corruption," said Antonia Melo, coordinator of the Xingu Forever Alive Movement (Movimento Xingu Vivo para Sempre). "As a result, we have no alternative but to request the support of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights."

"Our community is under threat and the leaders are the ones who suffer the most," stated José Carlos Arara, an indigenous chief of the Arara village in the Big Bend region of the Xingu. "I am stuck in my village and no longer leave my community after receiving death threats."

"Brazilian diplomacy is in serious danger of an international embarrassment," said Roberta Amanajás, a lawyer with the Pará Society for the Defense of Human Rights. "The Rousseff administration's aggressive response to the IACHR, followed by the Brazilian Senate's vote to censure the OAS last week is a dangerous sign."

"The Brazilian government's position on Belo Monte goes against the image it promotes as a regional leader and its role as the host of the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio +20) in 2012," said Astrid Puentes, Co-Director of the Inter-American Association for Environmental Defense (AIDA). "We hope that the governments of the region stop promoting environmentally and socially harmful projects and instead seek truly sustainable development based on respect for human rights."

More information:

Press release by Federal Public Prosecutors on lawsuit
   www.amazonwatch.org
   www.internationalrivers.org
   www.xinguvivo.org.br
   www.aida-americas.org

###

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I have a protest speech due Wednesday and I have chosen to protest the Dam.  Any newer/recent info as well as updates and websites are INCREDIBLY welcomed!  (And I'll put y'all in my references XD )

Vawm tsamsiyu

You can always check the amazon watch website and see if anythings new  ;)
they killed the [you] tag

Toruk Makto

That is the best place. You can also try contacting some of the people listed on the press releases for additional help.

Toruk Makto

James Cameron warns of violence over Brazil dam

(AFP) – June 23, 2011

WASHINGTON — Oscar-winning movie director James Cameron on Thursday said tribes in Brazil's Amazon rainforest could turn to violence to block construction of a massive dam.

"The Kayapo are going to fight," Cameron told AFP in Washington, where he was named an explorer-in-residence at National Geographic.

"They're not going to just shrug and walk away. They're the most aggressive tribe in the area" of the Xingu River basin, where the Brazilian government is forging ahead with plans to build the $11 billion Belo Monte dam, in spite of locals repeatedly lodging protests against the project.

"The Brazilian government is not listening to the indigenous community at all," Cameron said.

"They're determined to build this dam, which is going to be the third largest and probably the most inefficient dam in the world," said the director of Avatar, which tells the story of how the peaceful Na'Vi people are forced to fight against strip-miners from Earth intent on destroying Na'Vi culture on the planet Pandora, to get their hands on a precious mineral resource, unobtainium.

Since he finished working on Avatar, Cameron has made three trips to the region in the Amazon where the dam is to be built.

The Brazilian government argues that the dam is necessary to meet Brazil's growing energy needs and to drive strong economic growth, which is raising the standard of living for most Brazilians.

"They could easily solve their energy requirements through efficiency initiatives for a fraction of the cost of building the dam, and they wouldn't have to destroy so much rainforest and displace 25,000 indigenous people," Cameron said.

In April, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) asked Brazil to "immediately suspend the licensing process" for the dam, and called on it to protect indigenous peoples in the Xingu River basin whose lives and "physical integrity" would be threatened by the project.

The dam would divert 80 percent of the Xingu River's flow to an artificial reservoir, "potentially leading to the forced displacement of thousands of people," the Amazon Watch nonprofit, which fights for indigenous peoples' rights and to protect the environment in the Amazon, says on its website.

But two weeks ago, the Brazilian government granted an installation license for the Belo Monte dam, clearing the way for construction to begin as early as next month.

Copyright © 2011 AFP. All rights reserved

Human No More

Makes sense, I guess. Unfortunately sometimes it's the only way to get people to listen.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

If they fight they'll be massacred, though its their only real option now  :(

Toruk Makto

That's exactly what scares me about this...

ExLibrisMortis

What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

Toruk Makto

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on June 29, 2011, 11:33:26 AM
What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

That's fine until most of the patriots are dead. Then the wisdom fails.

CyanRachel

Quote from: Markì on June 28, 2011, 10:55:02 PM
James Cameron warns of violence over Brazil dam

(AFP) – June 23, 2011

WASHINGTON — Oscar-winning movie director James Cameron on Thursday said tribes in Brazil's Amazon rainforest could turn to violence to block construction of a massive dam.

"The Kayapo are going to fight," Cameron told AFP in Washington, where he was named an explorer-in-residence at National Geographic.

"They're not going to just shrug and walk away. They're the most aggressive tribe in the area" of the Xingu River basin, where the Brazilian government is forging ahead with plans to build the $11 billion Belo Monte dam, in spite of locals repeatedly lodging protests against the project.

"The Brazilian government is not listening to the indigenous community at all," Cameron said.

"They're determined to build this dam, which is going to be the third largest and probably the most inefficient dam in the world," said the director of Avatar, which tells the story of how the peaceful Na'Vi people are forced to fight against strip-miners from Earth intent on destroying Na'Vi culture on the planet Pandora, to get their hands on a precious mineral resource, unobtainium.

Since he finished working on Avatar, Cameron has made three trips to the region in the Amazon where the dam is to be built.

The Brazilian government argues that the dam is necessary to meet Brazil's growing energy needs and to drive strong economic growth, which is raising the standard of living for most Brazilians.

"They could easily solve their energy requirements through efficiency initiatives for a fraction of the cost of building the dam, and they wouldn't have to destroy so much rainforest and displace 25,000 indigenous people," Cameron said.

In April, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) asked Brazil to "immediately suspend the licensing process" for the dam, and called on it to protect indigenous peoples in the Xingu River basin whose lives and "physical integrity" would be threatened by the project.

The dam would divert 80 percent of the Xingu River's flow to an artificial reservoir, "potentially leading to the forced displacement of thousands of people," the Amazon Watch nonprofit, which fights for indigenous peoples' rights and to protect the environment in the Amazon, says on its website.

But two weeks ago, the Brazilian government granted an installation license for the Belo Monte dam, clearing the way for construction to begin as early as next month.

Copyright © 2011 AFP. All rights reserved

Irayo for posting this article! I had a feeling we'd hear from JC on this -- good for him. And I share his feelings about it all. This whole dam project is sad, very sad only.  :(
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote"The Kayapo are going to fight," Cameron told AFP in Washington, where he was named an explorer-in-residence at National Geographic.

What is AFP  ????

QuoteWhat signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

Ma ELM, i believe i've heard this quote before in one of the COD-games. Can't remember which. This quote is very cynical if you ask me but i guess it might be true. Do you think this will be the case with the Belo Monte Dam? And if it does: Who'll be the patriots and who'll be the tyrants?

QuoteIf they fight they'll be massacred, though its their only real option now :(
QuoteThat's exactly what scares me about this...

I feel your concern, ma smuk. I hope it'll never have to go that far. But it seems all other options are running short  :(.

Vawm tsamsiyu

I think the only way to get them to stop the dam would be to fire a cruise middle warning shot and threaten a full assault on any dam projects. Otherwise they'll build no matter who it hurts or how illegal it is  :(
they killed the [you] tag