Belo Monte Dam in Brazil - WITH UPDATES

Started by Toruk Makto, April 26, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Might be a good time to spin the nuclear power discussion off to the environmental board...

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tupìawo'o

Tsmuktengan

Raiden

Well, we'll all buy plane tickets, go to Brazil, obtain some assorted weaponry, and...

And Mark will probably be cross with me if I finish that thought. :P
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: Raiden on April 18, 2013, 02:07:34 PM
Well, we'll all buy plane tickets, go to Brazil, obtain some assorted weaponry, and...

Would that make us...., the "B" Team?   

::)

Tupìawo'o

good idea. but not everyone has the money to go to brazil. so what the other people have to do in there country is,
try to meet each other. build a grou;. demonstrate, make a video and everything about what would happen
to the nature and everything if they would build it and simple stuff like that. :)
at first....i guess

ExLibrisMortis

Violence really should only be the last considered resort. Don't ever think that this thing is just barrelling its way into completion. There have been many injunctions by not only "American" (Not just US) organisations calling for the halt of this, but actual injunctions by Brazilian federal courts. Even now the military and police have been ordered out of ther by a judge.

Blood shed should be the most avoided thing possible.

Tupìawo'o

noone said anything about a blood shed or?

ExLibrisMortis

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on April 19, 2013, 06:28:06 AM
Well, knowing Raiden....    ;)

Srane.  ;D

There is fresh news though : Indigenous people invaded the Brazilian congress chamber of deputies yesterday. This is supposed to lead to talks with the Brazilian government, including president Dilma Roussef.

Indios invadem plenário e põe Deputados para correr em plenário da Câmara 16/04/2013 Índios invadem plenário da Câmara dos Deputados - Repórter Brasil (manhã)

You can activate the portuguese captions and make Youtube translate them into English. But the article is a bit more precise.

So there are still discussions ongoing, here specifically about the administration of their territory.

I also came through these two articles from the Guardian UK. The second article dates back to June 2011, but I think they are instructive.  :)

Why action on forests now is essential to all our futures
The Brazilian tribe that played by our rules, and lost <- It does look like they have some knowledge of economic stuff.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Irayo for the articles and videos, ma tsmukan  :). I like the fact that politicians in congress in the first video seem to think the Indians were going to attack them or something when they were only there to protest peacefully lol  ;D. Hell, yeah; Occupy Congress  ;D!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ExLibrisMortis

Let's hope they're better than the other Occupy movements.

Tsmuktengan

Well, they have much more solid arguments and more issues to defend here than the Occupy movement.

ExLibrisMortis

Agreed, I was referring to not only the civility of each movement, but also the general manners/etiquette too.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Yeah; I, too, hope they'll be more successful in reaching their goals than the Occupy movement. I mean, sure; They were very commited to their cause, but like Tsmuktengan said: They didn't have as clearly defined issues that they wanted to address. But then again; I'm not the most well-informed when it comes to the Occupy movement. Anyhow: I wish the best of luck to the ``occupants´´ at the Brazilian congress  :).
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tsmuktengan

Just a note, since you didn't get it : they temporarily went in it and obliged the parliament to give them an audience and then go somewhere else. They did not and do not occupy it. There is no link to any occupy thing as they don't want to block the Brazilian institution.

Raiden

Dilma, and most of the government, are absolute wastes of carbon.

They don't deserve to exist, and they are violating the ecology of the planet in more ways than I can count.

They'd be better off as food for the legion of hungry arthropods that swarm on the forest floor. They would be unfit for any other purpose.

As far as violence goes, things are getting pretty close to the "absolute last resort". Once the dam is completed and active, that's it. The people gotta run or drown, and all of the animals that live in the Big Bend *and* in the reservoir area need to do the same (even though many of them cannot possibly move fast enough to escape).

Besides, it doesn't need to be bloody. I'm sure that some poisoned darts (brought to you by family Dendrobatidae) would be silent and clean, along with being quite poetic.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

ExLibrisMortis

Life is a thing to be cherished, and exalted. All means whatsoever should be taken to perserve its sanctity, in all its forms.