The truth about 2012 "from the horse's mouth"

Started by Amaya, December 30, 2011, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaya

http://www.indigenous.youth-leader.org/?p=3712

A very good article speaking to ACTUAL Mayans about their calandar and the ACTUAL significance of Dec 21/ 2012

Tirea Aean

'Oma Tirea

"Anthropologists visit the temple sites and read the inscriptions and make up stories about the Maya, but they do not read the signs correctly. It's just their imagination. Other people write about prophecy in the name of the Maya. They say that the world will end in December 2012. The Mayan elders are angry with this. The world will not end. It will be transformed."- Carlos Barrios

* 'Oma Tirea feels the frustration of those Mayan elders...

Sometimes I cannot seem to understand why these non-indigenous people misinterpret like this.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

A while ago i heard from someone (I think it was a classmate in my former school  :-\.) that the meaning of the Mayan prophecy of December 21st 2012 has been misinterpreted by us westerners. A classmate at my current school has also said that the Mayan calendar doesn't end until sometime shortly after the beginning of the fifth millennium (the year 4000). What this means i do not know  :-\. Neither he nor i know the exact date. I never really thought that the world was going to end on December 21st 2012. However, i am curious as to what the Mayans mean by ``a new era´´  :-\. Judging by the article it sounded like the Mayans have predicted the exact date where world peace will occur  :-\. In that case i can't wait till that day comes  :)!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Irtaviš Ačankif

Well, Dec 21 2012 is simply when the Mayan calendar runs out. It would be a big problem if everybody used Mayan calendars - it would be much worse than Y2K since you need to reinvent the calendar! It is simply a *technical* limitation of the Mayan calendar, just like Y2K is a *technical* limitation of super old computer clocks.

Edit: That webpage got a lot of stuff wrong. For example, that "At sunrise on December 21, 2012 for the first time in 26,000 years the Sun rises to conjunct the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the ecliptic." In fact that happens every year on December 21, not in every 26000 years. In addition, Mayans don't agree with each other on the significance of December 21 2012. Most of them simply think this is the date their ancient civilization's calendar ceases to be useful.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Irtaviš Ačankif

Yeah, it's wiki, but it's supposed to be as accurate as Britannica according to Nature no? And since it doesn't want to express any opinion, it just gives the facts about the Mayan calendar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_long_count

There is some controversy on whether the first digit stops going at 13 or stops going at 20. If it stops going at 13.0.0.0.0, then the Mayan calendar would roll over back to zero in December 2012. If it stops going at 20.0.0.0.0, then yeah, it does stop going in the 5th millenium, in fact, October 13, 4772 to be accurate.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

I don't know anything about the mathematics behind the Mayan calendar and i don't feel the need to learn it now. Still; Irayo for showing me your source, ma tsmukan  :)!

Alyara Arati

I'm willing to believe that the world might indeed be transformed.  I personally predict, however, that almost no one will be able to notice a difference until... I don't know... maybe 600 years into the future.  Then, looking back on it, people will say,  "Hmm, the world did indeed change somewhere around then."
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Irtaviš Ačankif

Yeah. The world would never change in an instant.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Hmm, you've got a point there, ma Alyara  :-\.

Human No More

The world won't 'be transformed' either. It's an arbitrary date :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Human No More on January 25, 2012, 07:58:19 AM

Arbitrary in what way, ma HNM  ????

Niri Te

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on January 15, 2012, 06:23:56 AM
Well, Dec 21 2012 is simply when the Mayan calendar runs out. It would be a big problem if everybody used Mayan calendars - it would be much worse than Y2K since you need to reinvent the calendar! It is simply a *technical* limitation of the Mayan calendar, just like Y2K is a *technical* limitation of super old computer clocks.

I think that all that happened there, was that they ran out of rock, and didn't want to bother with cutting a new one, as THAT one ended so far "in the future" for them. In the interim, their entire empire fell apart, so no one made a new calender.  This will be the same as Y2K, and EVERY "doomsday" before it, the next morning the Sun will rise, and everyone who believed that folly will have to endure the jokes of the rest of us for a while.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Toruk Makto

Damn. I wanted to hitch a ride on a comet or something...

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Alyara Arati

The Mayan with whom my friend spoke at some length told her that there is a fairly wide belief among his people that "the transformation of the world" is referring to the onset of the Information Era.  In other words, 2012 is a good date to pick, where computer technology is indisputably well established, yet still at the beginnings of what it is "destined" to become.  If this is true, I am typing on a world transforming device, and you are reading this on another. ;)

Alternatively, this transformation may be of a spiritual and sociological nature, of which the 1960s Hippie Movement was but the foreshadowing.  Bring on the Age of Aquarius, man, I'm ready!  And if this is true, James Cameron was on the cutting edge of a revolution in the way we view ourselves and our universe with the philosophical and metaphysical messages presented by a certain movie of which we are all fond. 8)

Either way, or even if nothing whatsoever occurrs, I still believe that no one is going to notice, or be able to prove definitively that or how the world did or did not change.  Sorry for the complexity of the previous sentence, but the point is that I don't foresee a cataclysm dramatic enough for people to be able to say, "Oh shiii..." just before they are vaporized once and for all.  For example, A.D. did alter the way in which we keep track of time, but hardly immediately. :-\
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kamean

I also think that in 2012 don't come the end of the world. But, in my opinion, signs of a new era, at first will be negligible.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Alyara AratiThe Mayan with whom my friend spoke at some length told her that there is a fairly wide belief among his people that "the transformation of the world" is referring to the onset of the Information Era.  In other words, 2012 is a good date to pick, where computer technology is indisputably well established, yet still at the beginnings of what it is "destined" to become.  If this is true, I am typing on a world transforming device, and you are reading this on another. ;)

Hmm, interesting theory, ma Alyara  :-\.

Quote from: Alyara AratiAlternatively, this transformation may be of a spiritual and sociological nature, of which the 1960s Hippie Movement was but the foreshadowing.  Bring on the Age of Aquarius, man, I'm ready!  And if this is true, James Cameron was on the cutting edge of a revolution in the way we view ourselves and our universe with the philosophical and metaphysical messages presented by a certain movie of which we are all fond. 8)

Yay, James Cameron and Avatar FTW  :D :)!

Human No More

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on January 27, 2012, 07:47:01 AM
Quote from: Human No More on January 25, 2012, 07:58:19 AM

Arbitrary in what way, ma HNM  ????
It's not based on any specific time or event, it's not a countdown to one. It could as easily have been started 10 years earlier or later, or 5000 years earlier or later - the number of the year doesn't cause events to happen other than when humans see a certain coincidence in it (e.g. 2000)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman