[ADP+] [pronoun-yä/adjective-a] [noun], what gets lenition?

Started by Tsamsiyu92, August 12, 2010, 08:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsamsiyu92

I have recently seen adoptions being infront of a genetive pronoun, and therefore I wonder, does the pronoun then take the lenition if the adoption is an ADP+?

Move it to beginners if this is not appropriate for the intermediate forum.

Mì peyä helku or Mì feyä kelku?

Nyx

I would expect it to happen to the word that comes right after the adposition. The way I got it is that this is just a sound change that happens after those adpositions and had nothing to do with which word they actually refer to, only which word comes after them. So I'd say mì feyä kelku

Hawnuyu atxen

Well, based on the two examples i could find, the noun in this case definitely doesn't lenit, but if the pronoun lenits or not...
I'd agree with Nyx, it'd make sense.
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Plumps

If that were the case then the ADP should lenite a word that comes after it when postpositional (no matter the word class) — and we know it doesn't:

Quote from: ta Trr 'Rrtayä...'uo a fpi rey'eng Eywa'eveng 'Rrta tsranten nìtxan awngaru nìwotx

Furthermore, reading up again on Frommer's Blog — tì'efumì oeyä, the answer is right there:

Quote from: naviteri.org, 1 JulyFurthermore, you know that certain adpositions [...] also trigger lenition when they're pre-nominal, i.e. before a noun.

omängum fra'uti

Keep in mind 'rr and 'll are exceptions that don't lenit ever, so "mì 'Rrta" is what you would expect with a prepositional ADP+
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Plumps

wm.annis

Now we know.  Fmawno:

Quote from: Karyu PawlSrane, lì'ul alu mì frakrr leykatem lì'ut ahay tsafya—fwa livu tstxolì'u, livu lahea fnelì'u ke tsranten.

"Yes, the word, , always changes the following word in this way — it might be a noun, it might be another sort of word, but it doesn't matter."

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on August 24, 2010, 07:34:32 AM
Now we know.  Fmawno:

Quote from: Karyu PawlSrane, lì'ul alu mì frakrr leykatem lì'ut ahay tsafya—fwa livu tstxolì'u, livu lahea fnelì'u ke tsranten.

"Yes, the word, , always changes the following word in this way — it might be a noun, it might be another sort of word, but it doesn't matter."

Ooh, i just thought of a way this could be fun.  That means pxoeyä would lenit into poeyä--which, if you're not paying attention, could leave you seriously confused.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Nyx

But wait, it still doesn't lenite the next word after things like trrmì? Does it? Doesn't it?