Learn Na'vi > Intermediate

Anglicisms

<< < (3/3)

Mech:
I see. I think etymologically the meaning of emza'u seems to mean something like "come through" = "pass"? Speaking about the Na'vi, a "test" would refer not a to a written exam of course but a physical trial.

So I imagine something like hot embers and spikes in a training ground, and, from the point of view of those waiting at the other side, one has to come through the trials to succeed aka pass the test. Not sure how blatant anglicism it is. 

Nyx:

--- Quote from: Plumps on April 09, 2019, 02:09:04 pm ---Also, släkop … when ki exists.

If I should explain some of them in more detail, please tell me.[/size][/font]

--- End quote ---

Isn't there a difference between these though? The way I got it is that ki is an exclusive 'but', as in "I don't want cake, but pie". And släkop is inclusive, as in "I want cake, but also pie". Or do you mean that there's an overlap between these making släkop redundant?

Plumps:

--- Quote from: Nyx on April 30, 2019, 08:31:44 am ---Isn't there a difference between these though? The way I got it is that ki is an exclusive 'but', as in "I don't want cake, but pie". And släkop is inclusive, as in "I want cake, but also pie". Or do you mean that there's an overlap between these making släkop redundant?
--- End quote ---

I can only speak from the German language point of view where there is a difference between „aber“ (but, slä) and „sondern“ (but rather, ki). We construct our “not only … but also …” with „nicht nur … sondern (auch) …“

So I would have expected Na’vi to be (since it has ki) *ken’aw … kikop … or something along those lines. I am biased by German but that’s how it is in my language. :D

Nyx:

--- Quote from: Plumps on May 05, 2019, 01:52:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: Nyx on April 30, 2019, 08:31:44 am ---Isn't there a difference between these though? The way I got it is that ki is an exclusive 'but', as in "I don't want cake, but pie". And släkop is inclusive, as in "I want cake, but also pie". Or do you mean that there's an overlap between these making släkop redundant?
--- End quote ---

I can only speak from the German language point of view where there is a difference between „aber“ (but, slä) and „sondern“ (but rather, ki). We construct our “not only … but also …” with „nicht nur … sondern (auch) …“

So I would have expected Na’vi to be (since it has ki) *ken’aw … kikop … or something along those lines. I am biased by German but that’s how it is in my language. :D

--- End quote ---
Oh I see, that totally makes sense too. I'm coming from Swedish and we have "utan" for your "sondern", but for that construction we'd use the slä version, so it didn't even hit me that you could do it that way. I like the sound of kikop too, haha.

Plumps:

--- Quote from: Nyx on May 06, 2019, 05:43:10 am ---Oh I see, that totally makes sense too. I'm coming from Swedish and we have "utan" for your "sondern", but for that construction we'd use the slä version, so it didn't even hit me that you could do it that way. I like the sound of kikop too, haha.
--- End quote ---

That’s interesting :-\
My Swedish is not that good yet to know that … but interesting that there is a language where it is almost parallel to Na’vi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version