Learn Na'vi > Intermediate

Anglicisms

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eìrä:
But, what is the meaning of "Anglicisms" ???
I'm asking myself for a pretty long while! :)

Mech:
Anglicism is an idiom that exists only in english, are expressed this way only in english, and seem unreasonable in the context of other languages and can't be translated. It happens when you "think english" while speaking another language.

For example the expression "get up". If you don't know the French translation you might try to translate word-by-word "get" and "up" to French that would result to something meaningless or irrelevant like "prendre en haut" (take something upwards??). This is an extreme and silly example of anglicism just to show what I mean.

Frommer did a good job developing a language with many exotic elements, but since he is an english speaker, unavoidably he was "thinking english" sometimes, and some idiomatic features that exist in English and no other language, also slipped into Na'vi. In-universe it can be explained as human influence, or a coincidence (not impossible at all).

But I have no specific examples :-/

Eìrä:

--- Quote from: Mech on April 11, 2019, 04:09:31 am ---Anglicism is an idiom that exists only in english, are expressed this way only in english, and seem unreasonable in the context of other languages and can't be translated. It happens when you "think english" while speaking another language.

For example the expression "get up". If you don't know the French translation you might try to translate word-by-word "get" and "up" to French that would result to something meaningless or irrelevant like "prendre en haut" (take something upwards??). This is an extreme and silly example of anglicism just to show what I mean.

Frommer did a good job developing a language with many exotic elements, but since he is an english speaker, unavoidably he was "thinking english" sometimes, and some idiomatic features that exist in English and no other language, also slipped into Na'vi. In-universe it can be explained as human influence, or a coincidence (not impossible at all).

But I have no specific examples :-/

--- End quote ---
Thanks! :D
Now i know! :D where can i say something to Pawl Frommer?

Plumps:

--- Quote from: Mech on April 11, 2019, 02:08:02 am ---What's the issue with "pass a test"?
--- End quote ---

Taking it from your cue of translating word for word ;) In German “overcome” means “to do something/something happens to you in the spur of the moment”. Our meaning of “pass (a test), overcome an obstacle” is „bestehen“ (lit.: stand) or „überstehen“ (lit.: over-stand) :P

Eìrä:

--- Quote from: Plumps on April 11, 2019, 01:35:26 pm ---
--- Quote from: Mech on April 11, 2019, 02:08:02 am ---What's the issue with "pass a test"?
--- End quote ---

Taking it from your cue of translating word for word ;) In German “overcome” means “to do something/something happens to you in the spur of the moment”. Our meaning of “pass (a test), overcome an obstacle” is „bestehen“ (lit.: stand) or „überstehen“ (lit.: over-stand) :P

--- End quote ---
Eltur tìtxen si nìtxan! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version