Avatar movie's quotes and/or their translation

Started by Vawmataw, May 09, 2014, 07:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Kaltxì ma frapo! Oel ayngati kameie!

I decided to make a topic about the movie's quotes.
You can submit your favourite quotes from Avatar and maybe translate them.
I don't know where I should post this, so any moderator feel free to move it if needed.

My quotes:

Neytiri to Jake:
QuoteYou're like a baby. Making noise, don't know what to do.
'Evengsko, ngal ke omum kemit a si ulte fkol stawm (ay)famit ngeyä.

Mo'at to Jake:
Quote from: From FrenchIf you're a part of us, please help us.
Txo nga livu hapxìtu olo'ä, tsakrr rutxe ayoengur srung sivi.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Kameyu a Kepekmì on May 09, 2014, 07:27:33 AM
Neytiri to Jake:
I'm not sure, if that works...
...if I remember me correct, prrnen means "baby".

On topic:

Quote"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid! Ignorant like a child!"
Lu ngaru txe'lan atxur, ke lu ngaru kea txopu. Slä nga lu snumìna sì yaymak 'evengna!

Quote from: Neytiri to Jake at Iknimaya"He will try to kill you."
Po fmayi tspivang ngat.

PS
I have the feel that this topic belongs to Intermediate board, if you want to translate movie quotes. There are also some threads about traslating quotes from various movies.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on May 09, 2014, 11:44:01 AM
Quote from: Kameyu a Kepekmì on May 09, 2014, 07:27:33 AM
Neytiri to Jake:
I'm not sure, if that works...
...if I remember me correct, prrnen means "baby".
It doesn't work, sko can't be used here - it means "in the role of, as the capacity of". First part must be:
Nga lu (steng) pxel 'eveng. For second part we miss some words, so your version is less or more usable.

I have the feel that this topic belongs to Intermediate board, if you want to translate movie quotes. There are also some threads about traslating quotes from various movies.
At least it fits in some language part of the forum, I think.
Some (long) time ago I tried to translate some complete dialogs, see here, if you are interested. As we got new words and rules, it probably could be improved...
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

This is a great idea! And I think a lot of people would use these lines. But I agree, it probably needs to be moved to the language area.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tìtstewan

Now, this thread has been moved (Irayo ma Markì!) :)

Quote from: Jake Sully after the destruction of the Hometree."I was a warrior who dreamed he could bring peace. Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up."
Lolu oe tsamsiyu a rolangal tsnì po tsun zamivunge fpomit. Krro ngian, nga zene tìtxen sivi frakrr.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on May 20, 2014, 12:30:23 AM
Now, this thread has been moved (Irayo ma Markì!) :)

Quote from: Jake Sully after the destruction of the Hometree."I was a warrior who dreamed he could bring peace. Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up."
Lolu oe tsamsiyu a rolangal tsnì po tsun zamivunge fpomit. Krro ngian, nga zene tìtxen sivi frakrr.
Maybe:
Lolu oe tsamsiyu a larmu poru ayunil a po tsun zamivunge fpomit. Ngian ye'rìn fu hawngkrr nì'ul, nga zene tìtxen sivi frakrr.

Yeret

Cool topic, wonder why it went stale. I'll have a go... 8)

Outcast. Betrayer. Alien. I was in the place the eye does not see. I needed their help. And they needed mine. But to ever face them again, I was gonna have to take it to a whole new level.

Kxutu. Kavuksiyu. Ketuwong. Oel tsengit a nari ke tsun tsive'a tamok. Oel srungit feyä kamin. Ulte fol pumit oeyä kamin. Slä furia kllkxem nìmun eo fo, layu oer tìkin a salew ne yì amip.
Tsaria ngal tìtxurit angay tirea tsìye'a, srake nga lu alaksi?

Blue Elf

Quote from: Yeret on October 01, 2014, 07:47:48 PM
Outcast. Betrayer. Alien. I was in the place the eye does not see. I needed their help. And they needed mine. But to ever face them again, I was gonna have to take it to a whole new level.

Kxutu. Kavuksiyu. Ketuwong. Oel tsengit a nari ke tsun tsive'a tamok. Oel srungit feyä kamin. Ulte fol pumit oeyä kamin. Slä furia kllkxem nìmun eo fo, layu oer tìkin a salew ne yì amip.
Very good! Maybe I would be less literal, so in second sentence I'd replace nari with fko.. In last sentence IMO furia doesn't work well, fte seems to be better choice.

Slä fte kllkxivem nìmun eo fo, zene oe sivalew ne yì amip nìwotx. (more ways how to say this is possible)

Yeret

Is there a place I can learn more on proper usage of furia/tsaria? "Na'vi in a Nutshell" never even covered those (I only know them from the dictionary) but I would certainly like to know more about them.  8)

The Sky People have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other clans to come. Tell them Toruk Macto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Sky People... that they cannot take whatever they want! And that this... this is our land!

Sawtutel 'upxaret awngar fpole' san fol fra'ut a new tsun mivunge ulte kawpo for ke tsun tìftang sivi sìk. Awngal 'upxaret for fpaye'. Aynga kämakto nìftxan win na hufwel tsun 'ivärip. Ayolo' alahe zene ziva'u. Peng tsat for. Peng for san Toruk Makto syaw for sìk! Aynga tswayon set, hu oe! Ma smukan! Ma smuke! Sawtutel fra'ut a new ke tsun mivunge ulte awngal tsat sleykayu ngay! Ulte fìatxkxe lu pum awngeyä!

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Yeret on October 03, 2014, 09:42:41 PM
Is there a place I can learn more on proper usage of furia/tsaria? "Na'vi in a Nutshell" never even covered those (I only know them from the dictionary) but I would certainly like to know more about them.  8)
Na'vi Linguistics: The clause-level attributive and adjective marker a - Part: Relative Pronoun

furia is the contracted form of fì'uri a
tsaria is also the contracted form of tsa'uri a

Example:
furia:
Furia tsolun oe ngahu pivängkxo, oeru prrte' lu nìngay.
It was really a pleasure to be able to speak with you.
lit.: As for this thing that I could chat with you, is really pleasuring to me.

tsaria:
Tsaria pol awngati ke txayìng oe 'efu am'ake nìwotx.
I'm entirely confident that he won't abandon us.
Lit.: As for that thing that he won't abandon us, I feel completely confident.

The Sky People have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other clans to come. Tell them Toruk Mackto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Sky People... that they cannot take whatever they want! And that this... this is our land!

Sawtutel 'upxaret awngar fpole' san fol fra'ut a new tsun mivunge ulte kawpo for ke tsun tìftang sivi sìk. Awngal 'upxaret for fpaye'. Aynga kämakto nìftxan win na hufwel tsun 'ivärip. Ayolo' alahe zene ziva'u. Peng tsat for. Peng for san Toruk Makto syaw for sìk! Aynga tswayon set, hu oe! Ma smukan! Ma smuke! Sawtutel fra'ut a new ke tsun mivunge ulte awngal tsat sleykayu ngay! Ulte fìatxkxe lu pum awngeyä!
There is a translation of that line from the movie:
Quote from: http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/naviya-the-other-vocative/fpole' sawtutel 'upxaret
ayoeri tsat new
tsun mivunge.
slä awngal 'upxaret fpìye' for.
kämakto nìwin, ayngati spivule hufwel
ayolo'ru alahe peng ziva'u.
for peng syeraw Toruk Makto
tswayon set oehu
ma smukan, ma smuke!
sawtuter wìyintxu ayoeng
ke tsun fo fìkem sivi
fìtsenge... l(u) awngeyä!
:)
But it's interesting to see another version of that line. :D

archaic

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 03, 2014, 11:46:34 PM
The clause-level attributive and adjective marker a - Part: Relative Pronoun[/url][/b]
??? :-\
(crawls back under tskxe)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Plumps

Quote from: archaic on October 04, 2014, 07:05:44 AM
The clause-level attributive and adjective marker a - Part: Relative Pronoun[/url][/b]
??? :-\
(crawls back under tskxe)

It looks intimidating at first but it's no reason to hide under a rock ;) You won't find any answers there for sure ;D

Furia/Tsaria have to do with the topic ( ... duh ... )  ;D
It's not something I understand fully in all places 100% but with practice and looking at example sentences you can get a feel for when it's time for the topic case. But to take a simple example...

We know that we use the topic in connection with irayo si to mean "thank s.o. for s.t." If this "something" is just a noun you attach the topic case onto that noun like this:

Srungìri irayo si oe ngaru.
"I thank you for the help."

But what happens if that "something" describes a whole sentence or an action? Then you use furia or tsaria to introduce that sentence.

Furia/tsaria pol volewng ayevengit irayo si moe (poru).
"We thank her for looking after the children."
lit.: for-the-fact-that she looked after the children, we-two give thanks to-her.

Sìlpey oe tsnì fìtìoeyktìng srung sìyevi ngar fte ziva'u ta tsatskxeäo ;)

Blue Elf

The Sky People have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other clans to come. Tell them Toruk Makto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Sky People... that they cannot take whatever they want! And that this... this is our land!

Sawtutel 'upxaret awngar fpole' san a fol fra'ut a new tsun mivunge ulte kawtu for ke tsun tìftang sivi sìk. Awngal 'upxaret for fpaye'. Aynga kämakto nìwin na hufwe terul. Ayolo'ru alahe peng fte ziva'u. Peng tsat for. Peng for san Toruk Makto syaw for(ayngat) sìk! Aynga tswayon set, hu oe! Ma smukan! Ma smuke! Sawtutel fra'ut a new ke tsun mivunge ulte awngal tsat sleykayu ngay muwìntxu for! Ulte fìatxkxe lu pum awngeyä!
There is a translation of that line from the movie:
I would not take it as correct version - as said in LN wiki.
Yeret's version seems to be better and I correct edit as I would write it (some parts are translated more freely). some notes: carefully with san/sìk - it denotes direct speech, So speech must be exactly written as speaker would say it. In first part it would be:
Sawtutel 'upxaret awngar fpole' san Ayoel fra'ut a new tsun mivunge ulte kawtu ke ayoer ke tsun tìftang sivi sìk.
That's what changed san/sìk to a only - they sent us message which is that they whatever want can take....
Same in later part - Say them: Toruk makto calls YOU (= Say them that Toruk Makto calls them - this is differnce between direct/indirect speech)
In blue parts is translation more free - Ride out fast as wind runs.
Otherwise quite good job!

Yeret

Irayo fpi srung atxan ayngeyä mì fìkìng sì kìng sngä'iyuä, ma smukan. Oe nerume nìtxan!  :)

Well, uh, I guess this is my last video log. Whatever happens tonight, either way, I'm not gonna be comin' back to this place. Well, I guess I better go. I don't wanna be late for my own party. It's my birthday, after all. This is Jake Sully signin' off.

Tse, fìrel arusikx layu pum ator oeyä. Maw fìtxon, oel fìtsengur ke tasyätxaw. Tse, sweylu txo oe kayä. Ftxozäri oeyä, oe ke new pivähem hawngkrr. Leiu trr a'awnongokx oeri. Oe lu Jake Sully ulte oe herum.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Yeret on October 06, 2014, 02:02:01 AM
Irayo fpi srung atxan ayngeyä mì fìkìng sì kìng sngä'iyuä, ma smukan.
I would not use fpi here, better this one:
Ayngeyä srungìri atxan mì fìkìng sì kìng sngä'iyuä, oe seiyi irayo ayngaru, ma smukan.
As for your great help in this thread and in the beginner thread I thank you all, o silbings

Quote from: Yeret on October 06, 2014, 02:02:01 AM
Well, uh, I guess this is my last video log. Whatever happens tonight, either way, I'm not gonna be comin' back to this place. Well, I guess I better go. I don't wanna be late for my own party. It's my birthday, after all. This is Jake Sully signin' off.

Tse, fìrel arusikx layu pum ator oeyä. Maw fìtxon, oel fìtsengur ke tasyätxaw. Tse, sweylu txo oe kayä 'en si oe, oe kayä. Ftxozäri oeyä, oe ke new pivähem hawngkrr. Leiu trr a 'olongokx oe a'awnongokx oeri. Oe lu Jake Sully ulte oe herum.
Some ideas.

---
Quote from: Blue Elf on October 04, 2014, 03:22:51 PM
I would not take it as correct version - as said in LN wiki.
Ma Blue Elf, I didn't write that that version is "correct", I meant rather there is another version of it. ;)

Yeret

Jake Sully: Tsu'tey, son of Ateyo, I stand before you ready to serve the Omatikaya people. You are Olo'eyktan, and you are a great warrior. I can't do this without you.

Tsu'tey: Toruk Makto, I will fly with you.

Jake Sully: Ma Tsu'tey, alu 'itan Ateyoä, oe eo nga kllkxem ulte lu alaksi fwa Omatikayar kìte'e si. Nga lu olo'eyktan sì tsamsiyu atxantsan. Oe fìkemur ke tsun sivi luke nga.

Tsu'tey: Ma Toruk Makto, oe hu nga tswayayon.

As a side note, almost every noun/pronoun that has a "k" is spelled with a "c" on IMDB.com. The subtitles in the movie itself weren't misspelled either, were they? It's been a little while since I've seen the movie.

Wllìm

The English name of Na'vi names is indeed often written with a "c" for some reason. For example: Omatikaya -> Omaticaya :)

I don't know the exact reason, but I guess the original names were written with a "c", and when they needed a Na'vi version, they had to replace them with a "k".

Tìtstewan

Because in english c = k
If I remember me correct, in the original script of Avatar, Omatikaya was written with c, but as the Na'vi language doesn't have the lettser c (the sound is covered by k), Omatikaya is still written with k.