Dense Na'vi Grammar Summary (PDF)

Started by wm.annis, March 24, 2010, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

I have produced a very dense document summarizing Na'vi morphology and some syntax.  If you have access to a duplex printer, it will all fit on a single sheet of paper.

Na'vi Cheat Sheet (or in A4 for our Euro-smuktu).
Translations:
Frommer was kind enough to look at a draft of this, as well as answer a few followup questions ([1], [2]), so I'm pretty confident about everything on that sheet.

Carborundum

Very, very nice! A quick reference for grammar will be very useful.
Seiyi Irayo!
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Yeya Swizaw

Nice. Maybe a bit advanced for me, but if it's all good then it will definitely help :)
"Everybody loves me... except people who don't"
  "Oe yawne lu frapor... oe ke lu suteru mungwrr"

'eylan na'viyä

Irayo ma wm.annis

namume oe a tsengemì a krr frakrr sìlparmey oe tsnì fì'u pxel tsaw oeru livu lahea lì'fyateri
while i was in school, I always hoped to have something like this for other languages

Taronyu

Plltxeyu

This is awesome. If you know at least a little about Na'vi but don't know it by heart, this is an excellant study tool. I kind of like it in this compact format that is simple and to the point.
Irayo

Plumps

I like it - thanks for the effort!

Any plans to put that on the main page ... as an up-dated version of the Compendium, maybe?
Any requests for translating it into the other forum languages yet?

wm.annis

Quote from: Plumps83 on March 24, 2010, 07:30:19 PMAny plans to put that on the main page ... as an up-dated version of the Compendium, maybe?

I had no such plans, but it might be a good — if less colorful — replacement for that.

QuoteAny requests for translating it into the other forum languages yet?

Not yet.  Anyone doing so would have to cope with my funky LaTeX style (it probably requires XeTeX), but I'd be happy to send the source to anyone who wants to translate it.

Kì'eyawn

Tewti, ngeyä tìkangkemìri ngaru irayo seiyi oe, ma William! Lìyevu ngaru karma+ =)
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

wm.annis

Thanks to Plumps83, there is now a version auf Deutsch.

Mirri

This is fantastic! Very well done :)

I assume you'd like comments and corrections, so here goes:
*Some lines in the tables might be nice. The vowel table seems to be floating in the middle of nothing?
*Cases section seems to be missing a description of the Topical
*The superlative marker frato should be "than all" not "than everything"
*Would love to have a description of futa, fwa, a, tsnì, etc. Those are hard to understand/remember.
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

wm.annis

Quote from: Mirri on April 04, 2010, 08:39:44 AM
*Some lines in the tables might be nice. The vowel table seems to be floating in the middle of nothing?

I'm not sure giving the articulatory phonetic terms would be helpful to most people for the vowels.  Also, I gave myself a very firm limit — no more than two pages for this document.  I wanted for people to be able to print it on a duplex printer on a single sheet.  So, there was lots of scrimping and scraping in odd places to make things fit.

Quote*Cases section seems to be missing a description of the Topical

Too complex — it would blow my page limit. 

Quote*The superlative marker frato should be "than all" not "than everything"

Ah... yes.  Fixed.  I'll upload a new version in the next day or so.

Quote*Would love to have a description of futa, fwa, a, tsnì, etc. Those are hard to understand/remember.

Again, much too complex to fit onto such a short summary.

I'm currently working on a reference grammar of Na'vi, which will cover these syntactic matters in more detail (but still, I hope, succinctly).  A separate syntax summary might make sense, but if I do it, it'll have to wait for the completion of other projects.

Mirri

I think there's some space to salvage in the "verbs" section, it's a bit wordy. Could be done simpler with one example of the infix positions rather than three descriptions in each section. Like: h<pre-first><first>awn<second>u

Maybe you could include the two most basic (and, I think, necessary to know) idiomatic ways of greeting?
Oel kameie ngati

and

Fyape fko syaw ngar?
Oeru syaw fko <name>.

This seems like cheat sheety stuff :)
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

wm.annis

Quote from: Mirri on April 04, 2010, 04:41:52 PMMaybe you could include the two most basic (and, I think, necessary to know) idiomatic ways of greeting?
Oel kameie ngati

and

Fyape fko syaw ngar?
Oeru syaw fko <name>.

This seems like cheat sheety stuff :)

But not really in a grammar summary. :)  I assume anyone using the sheet already has oel ngati kameie down.  I didn't link this in the beginner's section, after all.

Tsamsiyu92

Really much better than the longer beginner's guides when you quickly want to find those damned forgettable infixes

:)

Taronyu

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on April 09, 2010, 01:00:59 PM
Really much better than the longer beginner's guides when you quickly want to find those damned forgettable infixes

:)

Those are also in the back of my dictionary.

But annis's sheet is more awesome.

Toruk Makto

Wm, do you want the current version of this on the downloads of the main site? I think it should be there.

Or perhaps as an appendix in the dictionary?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

wm.annis

Quote from: Txepsiyu on April 11, 2010, 11:56:45 PM
Wm, do you want the current version of this on the downloads of the main site? I think it should be there.

No objection from me!

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Pxaya irayo! Oel fwarmew 'uot anafì'u! Now I can't wait for the grammar reference you were talking about. ;D

I appreciate your efforts very much.

Kìyevame!
srungìri ftära tsyokxìl ngeyä
ke ivomum futa pesuru
lu srung skiena tsyokxta ngeyä
ulte Jesus a nerìn ayfo pamlltxe
san sutehu lu keltsun
slä Yawähu frakem tsunslu sìk.

Taronyu

The subjunctive is not used with commands.