Does it also work like this?

Started by GEOvanne, July 28, 2010, 09:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEOvanne

I'm doing to work sheet from here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/intermediate/worksheets/

This one in particular:
http://zombat.roosteredge.com/navi/grammar/final/navi_grammar_1.4_erg.accu.pdf

On page 3 (fill in the blanks.
The answer for question 1 is: Oe taronyu lu.
I understand that since the -ri markers isnt being used for these exercises.
But could it also be: Oeri taronyu lu. ?

But the main problem I have is with question 9 and 5.

Answer for 5 is: Ikran ke rol.

Answer for 9 is: Poe tspang fa tukru.

For 5, since "not sing" is some thing the ikran does, should it be "Ikran-l ke rol"?

And for 9, she "kills" is a verb. Its not saying "she is a killer", it is saying what she does, so shouldn't it be "Poe-l tspang fatukru-ti" ?
Also, what does the 'fa' infront of 'tukru' mean?

Carborundum

Quote from: GEOvanne on July 28, 2010, 09:43:41 AM
The answer for question 1 is: Oe taronyu lu.
I understand that since the -ri markers isnt being used for these exercises.
But could it also be: Oeri taronyu lu. ?
No. What would be the point of used the topical there?
QuoteFor 5, since "not sing" is some thing the ikran does, should it be "Ikran-l ke rol"?
Rol is intransitive, so no ergative case is needed.
QuoteAnd for 9, she "kills" is a verb. Its not saying "she is a killer", it is saying what she does, so shouldn't it be "Poe-l tspang fatukru-ti" ?
Also, what does the 'fa' infront of 'tukru' mean?
Note that the sentence translates as "she kills with a spear". Fa means "with", tukru means "spear". Poel tspang tukrut would mean "she kills the spear" (the ergative-accusative combo would indeed be required if this was the intended meaning).
While tspang is generally a transitive verb, here it is being used intransitively because there is no object. Therefore the ergative is again unnecessary.

Special case alert: if the above sentence is part of a narrative, there might be an object that isn't being mentioned. For example, take the sentences "Jake and Neytiri hunt hexapede. He hunts with a bow. She hunts with a spear." Here the hexapede remains the object all along, and the correct translation of "she hunts with a spear" would be "poel taron fa tukru".
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Payä Tìrol

The worksheets are really old and I remember the first one had all sorts of inappropriate use of the topical. You should probably avoid them for now.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Plumps

Quote from: Carborundum on July 28, 2010, 10:08:29 AM
Special case alert: if the above sentence is part of a narrative, there might be an object that isn't being mentioned. For example, take the sentences "Jake and Neytiri hunt hexapede. He hunts with a bow. She hunts with a spear." Here the hexapede remains the object all along, and the correct translation of "she hunts with a spear" would be "poel taron fa tukru".

I have never heard of this 'rule' before... Is there a canon example for that?

Pxia Säsngap

I'm not sure about the answer for your question to the first sentence. I guess it could also be oeri, but in this case it's not needed. If this sentence is in a paragraph and you want to leave out the oe in the next sentence/part of the sentence you can use the topical on it.
Ma frapo, did I explain this correctly?

For sentence 5 you don't need the ergative form on ikran, because the ergative is only needed when your sentence has also got an object. So if ikran would feed it's baby(for example), you'd have got a subject (ikran) and an accusative object (it's baby). Then you'd need the ergative form on ikran and the accusative ending on baby=prrnen. So the sentence would be: Ikran-ìl f-eyä prrnen-it yomtìng. Also the ergative of ikran would not be Ikran-l but ikran-ìl, because the word ends with a consonant.

To sentence 9: No it doesn't. Because fa(=with/by means of) is an adposition and "describes" tukru. So fa tukru isn't an accusative object but some kind of adverb.(Ma frapo, isn't it called prepositional phrase or something? Forgot the correct name, I'm sorry.) The sentence doesn't have an accusative object so the ergative isn't needed.

Hope this answer is of help. ;)
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Carborundum

Quote from: Plumps on July 28, 2010, 10:18:04 AM
Quote from: Carborundum on July 28, 2010, 10:08:29 AM

I have never heard of this 'rule' before... Is there a canon example for that?
Quote from: wm.annis on June 22, 2010, 08:36:07 PM
(7) nantangìl tse'a yerikit The viperwolf sees a hexapede.
(8) nantangìl tse'a The viperwolf sees (something).

Notice in sentence (8) that even though I don't explicitly name the thing seen, I still mark the subject with the agentive. The verb is still transitive.
Not sure if Frommer has said anything specifically about this, but I'm prepared to trust that wm.annis knows what he's talking about.

Plumps

Totally forgot about that ... thanks, ma Carborundum.

But that conjures up a new mystery from the latest comprehension example, where he clearly says
Oe piveng ayngar nì'it teri Txewì...

oe without ergative although the thing he tells us, namely a story about Txewì is not names (vur or somthing like that)

???

Carborundum

Quote from: Plumps on July 28, 2010, 11:19:02 AM
Totally forgot about that ... thanks, ma Carborundum.

But that conjures up a new mystery from the latest comprehension example, where he clearly says
Oe piveng ayngar nì'it teri Txewì...

oe without ergative although the thing he tells us, namely a story about Txewì is not names (vur or somthing like that)

???
I don't think there is an unspecified object here. "I will tell you a little about Txewì" and "I will tell you a little story (that is) about Txewì" are very similar, but there are key differences. Note for example that "little" in the first sentence is an adverb, whereas it's an adjective in the second.
Now that you've brought that sentence up however, I have to admit that I'm confused about his usage of the subjunctive in peng. What's its function there?

Plumps

Yes, interesting question!
I forwarded the question to the appropriate thread

wm.annis

Quote from: Carborundum on July 28, 2010, 10:26:37 AMNot sure if Frommer has said anything specifically about this, but I'm prepared to trust that wm.annis knows what he's talking about.

Well, Frommer does link to the cases page from Naviteri.org, so I think we can expect it's not far off.

Muzer

Yes, but he also linked to the LN vocab page back when it was crap.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Muzer on July 28, 2010, 04:16:02 PM
Yes, but he also linked to the LN vocab page back when it was crap.

:o

0_0

Must've been awhile since I've seen that page as now see it's miraculous update (still missing "kew" in the number chart, though...).
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!