Grammatical sentence?

Started by Vawmataw, October 27, 2014, 06:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Ngari ngeyä ngal nga' ngat ngar.
As for you,        your             you       contains       you         to you.

It probably doesn't make sense, BUT is it grammatically correct?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Kame Ayyo’koti

I suppose it is, even if it doesn't make sense.

QuoteColorless green dreams sleep furiously.

The only comments I have are:

If we agree that "your you" is something you "can't lose," then Ngari ngeyä ngal sounds a bit redundant. Since topical case can be used for inalienable possession, ngari could "imply" ngeyä, so: Ngari ngal ...

Also, regarding the dative: I'm not an expert, but I would argue that whether the use of dative (ngar) is grammatically correct relies on the verb it's connected to, thus whether it's grammatical depends directly on the verb's meaning and whether it would make sense in relation to that meaning. And in this case, what does it meant to "contain to you"? If there's anything about this sentence that isn't grammatical, I'd say it's that.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Vawmataw on October 27, 2014, 06:27:38 PM
Ngari ngeyä ngal nga' ngat ngar.
As for you,        your             you       contains       you         to you.

It probably doesn't make sense, BUT is it grammatically correct?

If anything is wrong here, it could be ngar. I'm not sure if nga' is such a verb that has a place for usage of dative object. Basically, this:

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on October 27, 2014, 09:19:54 PM
I suppose it is, even if it doesn't make sense.

QuoteColorless green dreams sleep furiously.

The only comments I have are:

If we agree that "your you" is something you "can't lose," then Ngari ngeyä ngal sounds a bit redundant. Since topical case can be used for inalienable possession, ngari could "imply" ngeyä, so: Ngari ngal ...

Also, regarding the dative: I'm not an expert, but I would argue that whether the use of dative (ngar) is grammatically correct relies on the verb it's connected to, thus whether it's grammatical depends directly on the verb's meaning and whether it would make sense in relation to that meaning. And in this case, what does it meant to "contain to you"? If there's anything about this sentence that isn't grammatical, I'd say it's that.