Guide to SPEAKING Na'vi face to face

Started by omängum fra'uti, June 18, 2010, 03:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

I've been meaning to write this up for awhile, based on my experiences trying to hold a conversation in Na'vi.

• First and formost, oeng zene päntäpivìng fte pivlltxe nìNa'vi nì'aw.  If you don't make that commitment, it's too easy to slip back into English or whatever other language you would normally use.
  • Be prepared to repeat what you say.
  • Be prepared to repeat what the OTHER person said.  They know what they said, and can point out if you mis-heard it.  Bonus points for re-wording what they said.  This is probably THE most effective method of practicing listening, because you get instant feedback if you heard correctly.
  • Try to judge how well the other person is understanding you.  Simplify your speech if necessary.  In the simplest form, you can use Na'vi without any tense, aspect or mood infixes, so your verbs will be easier to hear.
  • If you are having trouble getting compound sentences across, break it down into simple sentences, referring back to what you just said with fì'u or whatever else is appropriate, but pausing between each sentence to let the meaning sink in.
  • Be prepared to repeat what you say.  Often.
  • If you are having trouble putting together a sentence, pause a moment and rehearse it in your head first.  It may not be as flashy as saying something on the spot, but believe me it is a LOT easier to follow if you're not pausing every word to gather your thoughts.

If anyone else has any experience and wishes to add their own advice, feel free to pipe up!
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Pxia Säsngap

Here are my suggestions:   :)
1. I find it very helpful in any language to correct each other in pronounciation, vocab and maybe also word order or grammar if necessary, because two persons always remember different aspects of a language, even if they're both learning with the Nutshell Guide (for example), and if you correct each other you help the other one to remember the things you've already internalised.
2. It is always good to be flexible with the expression you want to use. Because in Na'vi there aren't many words yet and the person you're talking to (as he is probably still learning as well) might not know every word yet.
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Muzer

Hmm... never done this before, but it would probably be a good idea to bring a dictionary and grammar guide, or a means of accessing them (a phone with an internet connection), to settle any arguments or answer any questions that arise as a result of the conversation.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Pxia Säsngap

Quote from: Muzer on June 18, 2010, 09:42:48 AM
Hmm... never done this before, but it would probably be a good idea to bring a dictionary and grammar guide, or a means of accessing them (a phone with an internet connection), to settle any arguments or answer any questions that arise as a result of the conversation.

Of course this is important as well, but I'd try to avoid looking everything up. You could use it only (as you already said) to settle arguments.

Also you shouldn't be too shy to try to say difficult/complex sentences, because if you avoid difficult constructions you will never learn to use it.

And - this is a mistake almost everyone makes, and it's also related to the first thing ömangum fra'uti said - also ask in Na'vi! So if you don't know a word and can't find a good way to describe it, ask for it like "[word] nìNa'vi slu 'upe?" And the other one should also answer in Na'vi, and it'd be best to answer in a whole sentence. This leads me to another point:

Always say whole sentences. Once you and your "partner" are pros at Na'vi you can of course use more colloquial speech, but to practice Na'vi it (like in any language) is better to form whole sentences, so you can practice your grammar.  :)
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Txur’Itan

I have been reading everything I see posted Na'vi out loud.  Many people in the more advanced levels in Na'vi are spending time reading rules, and vocabulary before they post, unless they have an eidetic memory that is, so a reasonably well formed sentence is there for me to read out loud to myself.  And I have been memorizing ways of saying groups of words together.  Fortunately my mind does not set much in stone, so if I find there is a more accurate way of saying things, I try to practice it heavily once understand how.

If I keep at it, maybe someday I will see a positive result when speaking to someone in person who knows the language.
私は太った男だ。