Na'vi elision?

Started by täftxuyu, January 31, 2010, 02:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

täftxuyu

I read somewhere, the Pocket Guide maybe, that Na'vi may have elision? I know how lenition is supposed to work in na'vi, but what is elision? They aren't the same thing, are they?
Oel Nìwina numeyu.

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: täftxuyu on January 31, 2010, 02:13:02 AM
I read somewhere, the Pocket Guide maybe, that Na'vi may have elision? I know how lenition is supposed to work in na'vi, but what is elision? They aren't the same thing, are they?

Similar sounds, while we write them all out in the forums, may be combined when speaking.  You can hear it quite a bit in the movie, where if one word ends in a sound similar to the next word's beginning sound, they will be pronounced at once: i.e. Ftang nga!  sounds like Ftanga!  (That may not be the best example...)

Also when compound words are made, like fí'ut a = futa, sometimes vowels may be removed for ease of speaking.  Other more learn-ed people can probably give you a more scientific answer though. :)

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Plumps

I wouldn't have explained it any other way, ma Key! ;)

You can also hear it in Frommer's audio message. When you listen to it and read the mail you'll notice that he combines words because he's speaking quite fast.
The last bit "Kìyevame ulte ..." sounds like *Kìyevamulte

tawway

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 31, 2010, 12:10:36 PM
I wouldn't have explained it any other way, ma Key! ;)

You can also hear it in Frommer's audio message. When you listen to it and read the mail you'll notice that he combines words because he's speaking quite fast.
The last bit "Kìyevame ulte ..." sounds like *Kìyevamulte

I mentioned it in another thread. Evidence does point to the "e" getting dropped a lot because the message sounded more like
"kiyevam ult eywa ngahu" to my old ears. There were two less syllables that I was expecting. "ult(e) eywa" I can understand because they're the same but e-before-u may be a bit more situational.

I even replayed it several times and said the words in tandem to get the flow. I'd be interested to know if sharper ears can hear any indistinct vowels in there.