Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Bumped up to 6.020.

I was thinking about clitics, and decided that we could note mono-syllabic vowel elision. Grammar quote:

QuoteIt is also true that monosyllabic words often elide, even when the vowels are not sim- ilar. This is attested in s`ı and in s-ayz`ıs`ıta ̈ kato and the rhythm of the years, lu to be in a l-ayngakip who is among you, and also n`ıaw only in hanaw txo so only if. This rule disqualifies the illegal Survival Guide entries of nuuto and jiitluy.

So I've marked lu=, sì=, and nì=.

Plumps

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 07:09:08 AM
Bumped up to 6.020.

But it's not uploaded yet, is it? When I follow the link in your signature, I get version 6.008...

wm.annis

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 07:09:08 AM
QuoteIt is also true that monosyllabic words often elide, even when the vowels are not sim- ilar. This is attested in s`ı and in s-ayz`ıs`ıta ̈ kato and the rhythm of the years, lu to be in a l-ayngakip who is among you, and also n`ıaw only in hanaw txo so only if. This rule disqualifies the illegal Survival Guide entries of nuuto and jiitluy.

So I've marked lu=, sì=, and nì=.

And yet we also have things like nìean.  It deserves a mention that all examples of elision are in songs, I think.

Taronyu

I don't know why that's not working. Use this for now: http://www.talknavi.com/taronyu/NaviDictionary.pdf

Thanks william. Will add that.

Bozemoto

Swedish alfabet: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z å ä ö

Just wondering why the dictionary sorts ä right after a, and was wondering how far the idea of ä comes after a has spread?
Is it something all english speakers are stuck with?

Wonder what order Frommer is going to put words in...

Oh and nice work, awesome dictionary!!!

Plumps

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 08:19:45 AM
I don't know why that's not working. Use this for now: http://www.talknavi.com/taronyu/NaviDictionary.pdf

Thanks william. Will add that.

Thanks, that worked, Richard!

And just by using it, spotted the next tiny-eensy-whinsy error ;)
Look at pizayu - it's listed as a verb ... which is, to my knowledge, not possible, but I'm not a native speaker...

Quote from: Bozemoto on January 14, 2010, 10:12:41 AM
Just wondering why the dictionary sorts ä right after a, and was wondering how far the idea of ä comes after a has spread?
Is it something all english speakers are stuck with?

Wonder what order Frommer is going to put words in...

Oh and nice work, awesome dictionary!!!

Was wondering the same thing. From a German stand point the sorting so far is no problem because we also put our ä, ö and ü after the corresponding vowels a, o and u.

I'm wondering mor in terms of the, already mentioned, transcriptions of "ng" and "ts" - if they count as single consonant they wouldn't probably be listed under n or t in Frommer's dictionary.

But as I said, I have no problem with it so far and am again most grateful to Taronyu for providing us with his dictionary.

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteWas wondering the same thing. From a German stand point the sorting so far is no problem because we also put our ä, ö and ü after the corresponding vowels a, o and u.

No, we don't. We treat them thesame as the corresponding vocals.
So in a German dictionary it would be:

Aal, Ähre, Auto

(not: Aal, Auto, Ähre).

PS. In my own dictionary I put the Ä also after the A, but for the reason, that in this way it is centered between A and E and this is exactly the sound of Ä. So, my own Na'vi-dictionary starts:
A, AW, AY, Ä, E, ...

Plumps

Quote from: Na'rìghawnu on January 14, 2010, 11:12:21 AMNo, we don't. We treat them thesame as the corresponding vocals.
So in a German dictionary it would be:

Aal, Ähre, Auto

(not: Aal, Auto, Ähre).

*lol* spotted! ;) You're right ...

Taronyu

Fixed. I changed /ng/, /ts/, and the ejectives to their own categories. I have retained /ä/ and /ì/ within the letters /a/ and /i/ because I honestly think it's easier for the English reader. Might change my mind at some point. Good spot, Plumps. Thanks william, added a caveat.

Now on version 6.5.

Toruk Makto

... going on version 15

;D

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 14, 2010, 01:59:13 PM
... going on version 15

;D

I know, I seriously think he does this each time I print out a new version... I'm going to test this theory, I'm going to print this one out and I'll bet he gets a new one out tonight or tomorrow.

Plumps

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 12:31:50 PM
Fixed. I changed /ng/, /ts/, and the ejectives to their own categories. I have retained /ä/ and /ì/ within the letters /a/ and /i/ because I honestly think it's easier for the English reader. Might change my mind at some point. Good spot, Plumps. Thanks william, added a caveat.

Now on version 6.5.

That's not what I was aiming at :D ... I thought the order was ok ...

I bet you need those kind of challenges - you just need to be busy ;D

Taronyu

Yep.

Working on version 15 now. One thought: A Na'vi Dictionary. In Na'vi.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Taronyu on January 14, 2010, 05:27:10 PM
Yep.

Working on version 15 now. One thought: A Na'vi Dictionary. In Na'vi.

Awesome, have at it!

roger

Hi Taronyu,

Last time I tried "helping" by making corrections I got flamed, but you said in the dictionary to please share any corrections we find, so here goes.

I haven't read this thread [just moved it here] to know if these have been noted above, so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have said.

The verb "to walk" is tìran, not *ran. In the song, 'walking your way' is terìran. So ikran as 'sky walker' doesn't work unless it's contracted; likewise iknimaya 'stairway to heaven', which would also require a change of ne to ni, so it's got two points against it. IMO it's quite possible ik means 'mountain' rather than 'sky'.

*sä-: Maybe, but doesn't explain the tsä' allomorph. Maybe that's just a verb tsä' 'to squirt'?

Sìre 'life' (F). Are you sure of this? Sìrey would be the lenited / plural form of tìrey 'life'

Sngeltseng would be a garbage dump, not a garbage scow. F was translating as the Na'vi would, and they don't have a word "scow".

-ng for inclusivity is just a contraction of nga. The full form comes out whenever you suffix it: oeng + -ìl = oengal.

Pamtseo is an easy derivation.

Yes, te is used in names, but AFAIK only the full clan names that Cameron made up: Neytiri te Ckaha Mo'at'ite, etc. (These were also the source of 'itan and 'ite.)

Isn't teng attested somewhere as a stand-alone adjective "same"?

Tsa is attested as a nominal prefix in tsaswirä "that creature" in the movie (Mo'at's line). Also, tsat is presumably just the accusative form.

I think you're probably right about tsaheylu. The SG mixed up ay for ey and eu for ew. I don't think they ever copy edited it. 'Dance' and 'brave' are therefore also dubious entries.

*Tsawlap' is illegal, unless maybe it's a typo for *tsawlapx?

Why are you correcting tswayon? Is it attested anywhere as *tswon? Jake says, tswayon set oehu "you fly now, with me", which is in the imperative, and so presumably has no tense infix.

Win is 'fast', as in lu nga win sì txur "you are fast and strong." Presumably *tìwin would be 'speed'

The 3ns PN "one" is fko. AFAIK 'aw- is just a prefixed numeral "one".

'It "a bit" is back-derived by Frommer from Cameron's 'itan and 'ite, so I don't think we need a separate 'it "progeny" entry.

Where do you get *'urar from? I haven't noticed it in the movie.

"Faketuan" : yes, this does seem dubious, but is "ketuan" attested? could it be a bad transcription of fa ketuwong?

Mo'at has a glottal stop.

futa is a contraction of fì'u-t a.

Fyawìntxu "guide" might be 'show the way' rather than 'show how'

Ikranay: do we have any attestation that plural ay- ever occurs as a suffix?

*ìm: this would need to be *'ìm, w a glottal stop.

Where is ka "not" attested?

The etymology of kawng seems dubious: "not one you" > "evil"?

Kewong is 'alien' as an adjective, ketuwong as a noun.

Aylaru is short for aylaheru, and so not evidence for *ayla or *la (tho there is other evidence for *la, there isn't for *ayla.)

'Speak' would need to be *lì'. Why is the glottal stop in parentheses?

Lu is not just a copula, but also an existential verb, like English "be"

Etymology of lrrtok seems dubious to me, but who knows?

"malmoks" is illegal: no final s, no final clusters.

I'm guessing that *mun is just "two", with an -e suffix in mune as in tseng(e), srak(e), etc. Presumably cognate with me- DUAL (< m-ay-).

Nari si is not just an intj, but a verb 'to watch out, pay attention'

*nul is presumably just a contraction of nì'ul.

The SG is offline right now, but isn't 'angtsìkä attested there as "angtsìk"? Also, aren't ìheyu and fngap also attested in the appendix? Fngap at least is attested from F, as one of the words he wrote on the window in that interview photo of him.

I think oe tusaron lu would mean "I am hunted", not "I am hunting", and if you wanted to add "person", you'd need to make it attributive with an -a : Oe tusarona tute lu "I am a hunted person".

I thought I saw the spurious "tutee" (= tuté) in there from the SG, but now I can't find it.

Is torukmaktoyu attested anywhere? (You have it under Jake Sully.) "Toruk Macto" was from Cameron, and so it would seen does not take the expected -yu.

Lenay'ga is legal if we assume Frommer's preferred spelling of "g" for "ng".

I have a feeling a lot of the illegal apostrophes in the SG are intended to show odd sound combinations, like we often see in English transcription (such as N'krumah for Nkruma, etc.) But certainly many of the things in the SG are garbage, and Frommer has no idea where they came from.

roger

The vowels of lu, sì, and nì are only elided in song, AFAIK. This might not be cliticization so much as forcing the words to fit the meter, the way we still sometimes say "tis" is English.

Taronyu

Quote from: roger on January 16, 2010, 04:07:18 PM
The verb "to walk" is tìran, not *ran. In the song, 'walking your way' is terìran. So ikran as 'sky walker' doesn't work unless it's contracted; likewise iknimaya 'stairway to heaven', which would also require a change of ne to ni, so it's got two points against it. IMO it's quite possible ik means 'mountain' rather than 'sky'.

This is a good point. I didn't know of terìran. Will edit this, and ik.

*sä-: Maybe, but doesn't explain the tsä' allomorph. Maybe that's just a verb tsä' 'to squirt'?
Good point. Will put it back down to the one sänume, making it more dubious.

Sìre 'life' (F). Are you sure of this? Sìrey would be the lenited / plural form of tìrey 'life'

You're using an old version. This is gone. Good spot, though.

Sngeltseng would be a garbage dump, not a garbage scow. F was translating as the Na'vi would, and they don't have a word "scow".
It's how the interview went. That's the official translation.

-ng for inclusivity is just a contraction of nga. The full form comes out whenever you suffix it: oeng + -ìl = oengal.
I will note this. Good call.

Pamtseo is an easy derivation.
Yes, it is. Good call.

Yes, te is used in names, but AFAIK only the full clan names that Cameron made up: Neytiri te Ckaha Mo'at'ite, etc. (These were also the source of 'itan and 'ite.)
This is one of thsoe Cameronian things. I noted that. I think. Will.

Isn't teng attested somewhere as a stand-alone adjective "same"?
Tell me where, and I'll add it.

Tsa is attested as a nominal prefix in tsaswirä "that creature" in the movie (Mo'at's line). Also, tsat is presumably just the accusative form.
Brilliant! Will note.

I think you're probably right about tsaheylu. The SG mixed up ay for ey and eu for ew. I don't think they ever copy edited it. 'Dance' and 'brave' are therefore also dubious entries.
Thanks for the reassurance. Will give notes to those.

*Tsawlap' is illegal, unless maybe it's a typo for *tsawlapx?
You sure about that? What about prrte'?

Why are you correcting tswayon? Is it attested anywhere as *tswon? Jake says, tswayon set oehu "you fly now, with me", which is in the imperative, and so presumably has no tense infix.
Becayse I think it's a valid correction. I think the translation should be: you will fly now.

Win is 'fast'. presumably *tìwin would be 'speed'
yes, but I'm trying not to note derivations that are merely combinatorial. I want to edit down, not add up. Surely *tìtìng is giving?

The 3ns PN "one" is fko. AFAIK 'aw- is just a prefixed numeral "one".
I disagree. There are two uses of one here: one, as in 3rd person neuter, one as in the number.

'It "a bit" is back-derived by Frommer from Cameron's 'itan and 'ite, so I don't think we need a separate 'it "progeny" entry.
You're saying that progeny is the same as part of? I disagree. I include it to show the different sources.

Where do you get *'urar from? I haven't noticed it in the movie.
This was removed in later versions.

"Faketuan" : yes, this does seem dubious, but is "ketuan" attested? could it be a bad transcription of fa ketuwong?
It could be. Hmm. Find me where?

Mo'at has a glottal stop.
will edit.

futa is a contraction of fì'u-t a.
Interesting! Will edit.

Fyawìntxu "guide" might be 'show the way' rather than 'show how'
good call. edit.

Ikranay: do we have any attestation that plural ay- ever occurs as a suffix?
It's from the book. Noted because it's probably wrong.

*ìm: this would need to be *'ìm, w a glottal stop.
Not if we can show that ' is used to join compound words with prepositions.

Where is ka "not" attested?

It's not the attested part, it's the fact that I derived it.

The etymology of kawng seems dubious: "not one you" > "evil"?
I was just showing my thoughts. Will change to not one inclusive.

Kewong is 'alien' as an adjective, ketuwong as a noun.
We don't know about parts of speech. Could be either.

Aylaru is short for aylaheru, and so not evidence for *ayla or *la (tho there is other evidence for *la, there isn't for *ayla.)
Right. Will look into this.

'Speak' would need to be *lì'. Why is the glottal stop in parentheses?
Because I'm not sure if it should be included or not. see ne'im, above.

Lu is not just a copula, but also an existential verb, like English "be"
Will edit.

Etymology of lrrtok seems dubious to me, but who knows?
likewise. No idea.

"malmoks" is illegal: no final s, no final clusters.
Get the new version.

I'm guessing that *mun is just "two", with an -e suffix in mune as in tseng(e), srak(e), etc. Presumably cognate with me- DUAL (< m-ay-).
Will edit.

Nari si is not just an intj, but a verb 'to watch out, pay attention'
Will edit.

*nul is presumably just a contraction of nì'ul.
Why would you say that? I'm not so sure.

The SG is offline right now, but isn't 'angtsìkä attested there as "angtsìk"? Also, aren't ìheyu and fngap also attested in the appendix? Fngap at least is attested from F, as one of the words he wrote on the window in that interview photo of him.
I'll change fngap. It's not attested in there. Will check.

I think oe tusaron lu would mean "I am hunted", not "I am hunting", and if you wanted to add "person", you'd need to make it attributive with an -a : Oe tusarona tute lu "I am a hunted person".
This is a good point. Will edit.

I thought I saw the spurious "tutee" (= tuté) in there from the SG, but now I can't find it.
Edited it as Frommer says no in his blog. Blog > SG.

Is torukmaktoyu attested anywhere? (You have it under Jake Sully.) "Toruk Macto" was from Cameron, and so it would seen does not take the expected -yu.
I'm allowed at least one joke. :P

Lenay'ga is legal if we assume Frommer's preferred spelling of "g" for "ng".
I know. But that's assuming. All of those words can be changed later by Frommer.

I have a feeling a lot of the illegal apostrophes in the SG are intended to show odd sound combinations, like we often see in English transcription (such as N'krumah for Nkruma, etc.) But certainly many of the things in the SG are garbage, and Frommer has no idea where they came from.
You're right.

As to songs, I noted that. Get the new version. Or rather, wait a bit. :D

roger

Response to some of your points:

"It's how the interview went. That's the official translation. "

Actually, they asked how he'd say "your ship is a garbage scow", and that's what he came up with. That's not the same as saying sngeltseng means "garbage scow"; just try translating w Google and translating back, and you'll see words aren't always equivalent like that. I take it to mean that you'd say "your ship is a garbage dump" in Na'vi; understandable that they wouldn't have the space faring vocab of Klingon.

"You sure about that? What about prrte'?"

Prrte' has a single coda consonant. *Tsawlap' would have two. Not allowed. Also, the only clusters are fric + non-fric, not stop + stop.

"I want to edit down, not add up."

But you translated win as "speed", not as "fast".

"You're saying that progeny is the same as part of? "

Not "a part of", but "a bit, a little". Ngayä 'itan would be s.t. like "your little one (male)". Not an uncommon semantic connection in Terran languages.

"It's from the book. Noted because it's probably wrong."

Yes, I understand that the SG is often wrong. But I doubt that ikranay could be the plural for ikran. Could be, perhaps, but I've never seen it. If that structure is attested somewhere, we should add it to the grammar.

"Not if we can show that ' is used to join compound words with prepositions."

Hadn't thought of that. Could be.

"It's not the attested part, it's the fact that I derived it."

What did you derive it (neg. "ka") from? I didn't see it.

"We don't know about parts of speech. Could be either."

Kewong is seen to be an adjective in fahew akewong "alien smell" (fills my nose), and ketuwong is seen to be a noun in Mo'at's line fìketuwong(())ti oel stìyeftxaw "I will examine this alien".

"Why would you say that? I'm not so sure."

Because nulkrr is "more time" (longer), and nì'ul is "more". Seems reasonable that it might contract to nul, the same way fì'ut contracts to fut (which is confirmed by Frommer).

"Edited it as Frommer says no in his blog. Blog > SG. "

Yes, I agree. Just wanted to verify it (tutee) wasn't hiding in there somewhere.

Mirri

Hi Taronyu,
I went through your whole dictionary today and tried to help where I could :)
Please see it as constructive criticism, and my changes probably aren't all correct.
This is all based on the Jan 15th version.

Minor corrections:
It seems that the genitive suffix is "-eyä" or "-yä", not "-ä"

"ka" adv. should be "ka-" adp. affix

Missing the explanation for "kea" in front of nouns

"kangay" somehow seems like it should be "invalid", since ngay is true and the "ka" is a negation?

"lu=" should be "lu"

"mìn", the word "turn" isn't an adjective in English, is it? Are you sure it's not a verb or noun?

"nì'awtu", "nì'awve", "nìtam", "nìtxan", "nì'ul", "nìwin" are all adj according to the Na'vi pocket book.

"nìayoeng" is an adj, i (not sure what i is, interrogative?) according to the Na'vi pocket book.

"nìwotx" is a preposition in the Na'vi pocket book.

"pey" is both c and v categories according to the Na'vi pocket book.

"ship" seems like the wrong English word for "sìp" since it has different connotations. It's clearly a foreign word based on the sound of the human word, and not a Na'vi invention. I think "vehicle" would be a better translation. Humans used the word ship for machines that went into space: rocket ships, space ships, etc. But Na'vi who have not invented ships or machines would not have made this reference.

"sutx" the translation of "track" and "lock up" doesn't seem to have any connection. Does it have two entirely different meanings?

"swok" is marked as a noun in Na'vi pocket guide and unmarked here. But "sacred" is not a noun, it's an adjective.

"teng-" translation should be "same as" or "like", not "same way as" (copy-paste error from tengfya?)

"turok makto" explanation has spelled "makto'" with an erroneous ' at the end.

"tute" female should be "tutee"

May want to add "tall" to description of "tsawl"

"neto" should be explained as a composite of "ne" towards and "to" away

"tsnì" needs a better explanation, it is ambiguous

"zong" explanation should be "save" not "saves"

List of words that lack classification:
v 'ampi
adj 'e'al
n 'eko
n 'ekong
n 'ìheyu
n,adj atan
n ätxäle
adj ean
v fkarut
adj fko
v fpeio
n fpom
v ftia
n hapxì
v kin
n kìng
n kìte'e
n kll
? kxll
n meuia
n mokri
v mun'i
adj nulkrr
adj? swok
v tìran
pn tsnì

New words:
And finally my list of suggestions to add to the dictionary. Most of these are based on looking through the dictionary word by word and adding tì-, le-, nì-, -tu, or -yu where it made sense (in a presumable idiomatic Na'vi way). It's the reason I went through the whole dictionary in the first place :)

All of these are obviously up for debate, I just didn't see why the dictionary shouldn't contain all these 'derivative' words if the grammar allows them to be constructed and they make sense.

'awkrr: n. one time, once
'upxaretu: n. messenger
auyu: n. drummer
frakrr: adv. always, every time, anytime
fratrr: adv. every day, any day
ftiatu: n. student
hawng: adj. excessive
hawnuyu: n. sentry
kameyu: n. Spiritual seer, shaman
kesom, kasom: adj. cold
klltene (maybe kllte-ne-mì): n. burial
ko: interj. Okay?, You know?, Wouldn't you agree? (got this from the wikipedia article)
lefngap: adj. metallic
lefpom: adj. peaceful, well
lehrrap: adj. dangerous
lehufwe: adj. windy
leioang: adj. bestial, animalistic
lekato: adj. rhythmic
lekelku: adv. homely
lekeya'ung: adj. insane
lekä: adj. moving (direction)
leltu: adj. clever, attentive
lenguway: adj. noisy
lepamtseo: adj. musical
leprrte': adj. pleasurable
lerenu: adj. striped, dotted, freckled, ringed, spotty, patterned
lerina': adj. fertile
leskxawng: adj. stupid, idiotic
leskxe: adj. rocky, stony
lesrung: adj. helpful
leswaw: adj. momentary, temporary
letep: adj. fiery
letompa: adj. rainy
levrrtep: adj. demonic
lezong: adj. safe
lezoplo: adj. offensive, insolent
lezìsìt: adj. yearly
leäie: adj. visible
lì'law: adj. eloquent, articulate
maktoyu: n. rider
nìhapxì: adv. partially
nìsokx: adv. bodily
pawntu: n. interrogator
plltxetu: n. speaker
ralpengyu: n. interpreter
roltu: n. singer
si ultxa: v. meet
si unil: v. dream
sreutu: n. dancer
swaustey (swaw-us-txey) or swauskrr (swaw-us-krr): n. pause, break
tse'ayu: n. scout, lookout
tsengfpxafaw: n. entrance
tsengftia: n. school, place of study
tsenghawnu: n. shelter
tspangtu: n. killer, assassin
tultu: n. runner
tì'ampi: n. touch
tìfkarut: n. peel, rind
tìfmi: n. attempt
tìfnu: n. silence
tìfpìl: n. thought
tìftang: n. barrier, obstacle
tìftxavang: n. passion
tìftxey: n. choice, decision
tìhahaw: n. sleep, nap
tìkllfrivo': n. responsibility
tìlam: n. appearance
tìlatem: n. change
tìlrrtok: n. smile, grin
tìmawey: n. tranquility, relaxation
tìmllte: n. agreement, accord
tìmuiä: n. justice, right
tìmuntxa: n. mate
tìngop: n. creation
tìpawn: n. question, inquiry
tìpänutìng: n. promise, commitment, oath
tìrikx: n. movement
tìsyaw: n. call, outcry, shriek, scream
tìtung: n. permission
zongtu: n. savior
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Mirri on January 16, 2010, 07:30:06 PM
Minor corrections:
It seems that the genitive suffix is "-eyä" or "-yä", not "-ä"

Where do you get that?  I kinda hope you're wrong  :-\

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf