Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on January 12, 2011, 05:58:05 AM
Since atokirina' is a Na'vi name for Woodsprite, maybe it should be moved to Proper nouns section?
According to the script, "woodsprite" itself is not a proper noun, just like banshee, thanator etc.

Quote from: AVATAR 2007 Script - p.35NEYTIRI frowns, puzzled, and LOWERS her bow slowly. The woodsprite WHIRLS away into the gloom.

Quote from: AVATAR 2007 Script - p.42More woodsprites gather around him. Several ALIGHT on him.

Quote from: AVATAR 2007 Script - p.43-- WHOOSSHH! the woodsprites whirl up and away, scattering into the darkness.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 12, 2011, 10:04:28 AM
According to the script, "woodsprite" itself is not a proper noun, just like banshee, thanator etc.

Banshee, thanator etc. are listed as "Fauna", so maybe atokirina' should be "Flora"?
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Oh you mean this -- than it should be.
(I can't get it because flora is in a different section, txoa livu :-[)

Taronyu

omängum fra'uti

The english definition for "sno" starts with a space. This is most obvious in the mobile apps where it results in being listed first under its own heading.  In the English - Na'vi dictionary, it looks like it is omitted completely.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tirea Aean

that.

and the fact that the definition of sno is sketchy, suggestig sno can be used the same way as sneyä.

what even IS sno besides "the theoretical root of sneyä"??

Taronyu

I have no idea what sno is.

Fixed, though.

Plumps

Noticed that we have an evidence of lelì'fya from the first blog entry.

Quote from: Na'viteri, 24 June 2010Language Discussion—Tìpängkxo leLì'fya

Don't know how to translate that on its own.

Taronyu

'Oma Tirea

Speaking of translating words, translating sutx as "lock up" may be a little confusing.  Perhaps "lock on" would work a little better.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kemaweyan

I found one mistake: infix positions in the word mäkxu are 11, but there is 12 in the dictionary :)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Taronyu

Lock up is what it is from Frommer. Not sure about 'lock on' - that doesn't mean the same thing.

Still waiting for word on mäkxu from Frommer. Until I get that, it'll stay where it is.

The problem with leLì'fya is that it's a binominal compound in English that translates into an adjective in Na'vi. So, the translation of it would be a bit odd. 'Linguistic' won't really work - that's more of a study of language than anything else. So, I think i'll just gloss it as 'concerning language.'

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Taronyu on January 29, 2011, 07:58:27 AM
Still waiting for word on mäkxu from Frommer. Until I get that, it'll stay where it is.

It's from Pawl http://naviteri.org/2010/09/getting-to-know-you-part-1/ :)

Quote from: PawlMäkxu [m••äkxu] is a transitive verb meaning 'interrupt' or 'throw out of harmonious balance' in the context of an ongoing activity.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Taronyu

Eltu Lefngap Makto

How come you don't have to put the stress marker on monosyllabic words in IPA?
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 30, 2011, 06:57:05 PM
How come you don't have to put the stress marker on monosyllabic words in IPA?

...because there's not exactly any question of where the stress goes...?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Eltu Lefngap Makto

So why not go ahead and put the little marker?  As far as my limited grammar went, I thought "enclitics" were words which had no accent and so got absorbed into the previous word.  Looking at the dictionary, I first wondered 'how many enclitic words are there in Na'vi?' until I realized all monosyllabic words lacked the marker.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

wm.annis

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 30, 2011, 07:12:55 PMSo why not go ahead and put the little marker?  As far as my limited grammar went, I thought "enclitics" were words which had no accent and so got absorbed into the previous word.  Looking at the dictionary, I first wondered 'how many enclitic words are there in Na'vi?' until I realized all monosyllabic words lacked the marker.

Adding an accent marker to monosyllables wouldn't clear that up.  There are no words in Na'vi which are always enclitic — just adpositions, which can be used in two ways, and one conjunction, which also has two use patterns.

Ikran Ahiyìk

It clears the matter if we add this

Quote from: wm.annis on January 30, 2011, 07:22:21 PM
Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 30, 2011, 07:12:55 PMSo why not go ahead and put the little marker?  As far as my limited grammar went, I thought "enclitics" were words which had no accent and so got absorbed into the previous word.  Looking at the dictionary, I first wondered 'how many enclitic words are there in Na'vi?' until I realized all monosyllabic words lacked the marker.

Adding an accent marker to monosyllables wouldn't clear that up.  There are no words in Na'vi which are always enclitic — just adpositions, which can be used in two ways, and one conjunction, which also has two use patterns.

as a note to the dictionary..

Taronyu