Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

More pronounciation/IPA stuff:

nìawnomum [nɪ.aw.ˈno.mum]: probably should note that in informal speech this is [naw.ˈno.mum].

nìayoeng [naj.ˈwɛŋ]: formally this is pronounced [nɪ.aj.ˈwɛŋ] and this should come first.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Plumps

Quote from: Inspirata on April 02, 2011, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on April 02, 2011, 02:37:21 PM
Ku'up should be ku.'up. Maximal onset - if it can be in the onset, it will be.

How about [i.ɾaj.o] then?  Shouldn't it be [i.ɾa.jo]?
Same could be said about tswayon but it is {tsway.on}
From here

Carborundum

It's [i.raj.o] because ay is a diphtong. However, looking through the dictionary I notice a lot of (apparent) inconsistencies in the IPA. For example, [ʔɪ.ˈhɛ.ju] and [ˈʔɛ.wan]. Is there a rule here?
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Taronyu

Unless specified by Frommer, diphthongs will always be split up. There are actually relatively few diphthongs mid-word which aren't syllabified with the glide as the onset. Irayo and tswayon are two notable exceptions. There is no real difference phonetically. If anyone wants to search around, I've recorded this information before.

Edited the other two. Cheers Tirea (Inspirata?).

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Inspirata on April 03, 2011, 12:43:36 AM
More pronounciation/IPA stuff:

nìawnomum [nɪ.aw.ˈno.mum]: probably should note that in informal speech this is [naw.ˈno.mum].

nìayoeng [naj.ˈwɛŋ]: formally this is pronounced [nɪ.aj.ˈwɛŋ] and this should come first.

Am I the only one that thinks that it should be this way for ALL words of that sort? Tìohakx, hunger, for instance. I say [to.hak'], because it's easier. Just to add, the adposition "äo" is evil, too!

Taronyu

Unfortunately, ease of articulation isn't necessarily the way that languages change. Otherwise all words would reduce to schwa.

Updated the dictionary.

Kamean

Quote from: Ìngkoruptusì on April 03, 2011, 11:53:57 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that it should be this way for ALL words of that sort? Tìohakx, hunger, for instance. I say [to.hak'], because it's easier. Just to add, the adposition "äo" is evil, too!
You forgot äie. ;D
But, ma Ìngkoruptusì, you should pronounce words correctly. Otherwise, people don't understand  you or, worse yet, misunderstood. And what turned our language, if everyone remake it on his own way.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Kamean on April 03, 2011, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Ìngkoruptusì on April 03, 2011, 11:53:57 AM
You forgot äie. ;D
But, ma Ìngkoruptusì, you should pronounce words correctly. Otherwise, people don't understand  you or, worse yet, misunderstood. And what turned our language, if everyone remake it on his own way.

Yes, äie is evil, too...but I like it. And I do pronounce Na'vi correctly, though I don't find ä or ì to be terribly resilient in all places.

Kamean

Quote from: Ìngkoruptusì on April 03, 2011, 05:19:25 PM
Yes, äie is evil, too...but I like it. And I do pronounce Na'vi correctly, though I don't find ä or ì to be terribly resilient in all places.
I like it too. And ä and ì. Perhaps because, in Russian, there is a sound very similar to ì - ы. ;)
So I have no problem with Na'vi pronunciation.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Taronyu on April 03, 2011, 04:58:36 AM
Edited the other two. Cheers Tirea (Inspirata?).

'Oma tirea / Sxkxawng :P

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Le'eylan

hermeyp: [hER."mEjp^] P F n. snow flurry (derived from herwì snow and meyp small)

Meyp is here translated as "small" and not "weak"
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Taronyu

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

I don't know if you noticed, at tskxepay there should be two extra { }.
(pay stands in the last braces, the translation is missing)

Taronyu

Swoka Swizaw

MaTaronyu, why is "hunting" represented by both tìtusaron and tìtaron? Wouldn't the latter be a hunt?

Taronyu

Quote from: Email from Roger
Tìtaron lu lehrrap. 'Hunting is dangerous.'

:/ Weird, huh.

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Taronyu on April 07, 2011, 04:26:01 AM

Strangely, I might understand that, but I don't want to. It's a general word for the concept of "hunt". BTW, who is Roger?

Taronyu

Quote from: Ìngkoruptusì on April 07, 2011, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on April 07, 2011, 04:26:01 AM

Strangely, I might understand that, but I don't want to. It's a general word for the concept of "hunt". BTW, who is Roger?

What?

http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php?title=Canon#More_extracts_from_various_emails

Plumps

Noticed while translating ;)

fkeytok is vin. not *vtr.
tompameyp comes from tompa and meyp not *ameyp

Taronyu

Fkeytok is totally semantically intransitive. Duh.