Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

There were times when I had issues with obvious poor transcription of stress, and I decided on the spot. This was also the case for words I derived.

Please let me know! Thanks.

Taronyu

Right! I uploaded the final version to the first post. Go check it out, let me know what is wrong. :)

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

should help all of us with our learning :)
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Eywayä mokri

°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Very, very impressive dictionary.

I feel like I am reading webster's  :D

Irayo oeyä tsmukan ma Taronyu. Nga siltsan soli.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Eywayä mokri

Link added in the beginner section. ;) You'll find your dictionary in the "links to useful documents" thread. :)

Taronyu

Quote from: Eywayä mokri on December 29, 2009, 05:01:04 AM
Link added in the beginner section. ;) You'll find your dictionary in the "links to useful documents" thread. :)

Thanks.

Glad you all like it. Find some errors!

Eywayä mokri

Just pm me when a new version is released, with the link to it. :) Like that I can update the links as soon as possible.

Karyu Amawey

hey everyone, only because I prefer colo coating and both the na'vi to English and visa versa, there's still the bilingual dictionary under the Na'vi pocket guide on the learnnavi.org website!  I can make just the dictionary part too if all prefer!  great format for this dictionary, tho!  I can't wait until he develops more words!
Oel ayngati kameie

Taronyu

Quote from: Karyu Amawey on December 29, 2009, 10:29:29 AM
hey everyone, only because I prefer colo coating and both the na'vi to English and visa versa, there's still the bilingual dictionary under the Na'vi pocket guide on the learnnavi.org website!  I can make just the dictionary part too if all prefer!  great format for this dictionary, tho!  I can't wait until he develops more words!

Hey Karyu!

Hmm. That sounds alright, but I want to be able to edit it, I have a lot of planned additions for this, and I wouldn't want you to have to change your Pocket Guide, which is fantastic for beginners, all the time. This dictionary is a bit more advanced: I use all linguistic terms here, without any explanation for them as yet. I'm going to make an English to navi form of this, as well, it would only take changing a few rules around. Glad you like it, your dictionary was incredibly helpful. Where did you get your stress markings, by the way? I'm hoping to make a full grammar and dictionary - not a pocket guide, but more of a Na'vi complete text.

:)

Toruk Makto

Doesn't anybody sleep in this place anymore?    ;)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Taronyu

Quote from: Txepyä Siyu on December 29, 2009, 10:41:17 AM
Doesn't anybody sleep in this place anymore?    ;)

hahahahahhhaha. Of course not! :D

Deamon5550

Just one tini thing i noticed. You have niwin down as the word for "fast", but in an interview Dr. Frommer had "Livu win si txur oe zene" or "be fast and strong I must", so I think that the ni- that you have is a prefix, which is changing it into an adverb.

Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu.

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Taronyu

Quote from: Deamon5550 on December 29, 2009, 05:29:14 PM
Just one tini thing i noticed. You have niwin down as the word for "fast", but in an interview Dr. Frommer had "Livu win si txur oe zene" or "be fast and strong I must", so I think that the ni- that you have is a prefix, which is changing it into an adverb.

Will adjust accordingly. Thanks. :)

'Awpo

Txo tìnusìnìl eo nga txopu seyki ngati
Ulte tìnusìn uo nga tìsraw seyki
Nìn nìhay ngati
Taweyk oel tayok tsatseng fpi nga.

:Perdozimat Tízavani widahan droh perdozan. Zihe nas perdozan fate Click;3

Taronyu

Cheers!

Hey mods, any chance of putting this on the www.learnnavi.org homepage? I've had people tell me they want to download it, but they can't without being members.

Payoang

Tell them to join. :)

I'll put it up in the downloads section in a bit.

Na'rìghawnu

Hello, Taronyu!

First: I got an answer from Karyu Amawey concerning the stress-marks in his IPA-transcript. As far as I understood he inserted them after listening to the film several times by choice. (But a lot of the vocabulary never was in the dialogues of the film.) So I suppose, that the stress-marks rely in many cases just on guessing.

Second: I've noticed two things I wanted to know.

(1) The word 'ampi is marked as a "vtr" (transitive verb) [by the way: the "tr" seems to be not in the list of abbreviations] in your dictionary. I suppose you did so, because Karyu Amawey marked it as a "v" (verb) in his Pocket guide, right? But ... how do you both know, that 'ampi really is the verb (to touch) and not the noun (a touch)? In the Survival guide (as far as I see the primary source of all the other offspins) there are NO hints, to what part of speech a single word belongs to; it has just the Na'vi-word and an english equivalent, without any further information. And since in the English language different parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective, ...) often share the same word, it's IMHO nearly impossible to know, what is meant, if there is no context. The same thing e. g. about 'e'al ... you both name it an adjective ("the worst case"), but may it not (also) be an adverb ("the children suffered worst")? I didn't spent time to get much more examples, but I think it wouldn't be a problem to find more of such words. So my question: How can you be sure, that you really know, to what part of speech these words belong to?

(2) The IPA-transcript not only contains stress-marks (very questionable ones as shown above), but also dots, which indicate, where a single syllable ends and the next begins. This also is in some cases quite tricky, since I suppose, that these dots were set just by making (more or less plausible) guessings. As for an example: tìfmetok has the dots as: tìf.me.tok. But how do you know, that it's not tì.fme.tok or maybe even tì.fmet.ok? (According to Frommers rules about syllables that also would be possible.) Especially in verbs, where you have to know the syllable-borders in order to insert the infixes correctly, that point could become relevant. So my question: How do you know the correct syllable-borders in words, when there are more than one possibilities?

Taronyu

Harìghawnu, irayo. Irayo irayo irayo.

I've emailed Frommer about stress, amongst other things. I am going to go through the dictionary, right now, and remove all syllable and stress marks. I think you're right, and since Karyu marked stress for words that are not in the film, I'm not sure that any of them can be trusted. Also, there's nothing to say that stress cannot be variable for words in the language.

As for parts of speech: trv. was a remnant from when I was going to mark this. I stopped which is why that is the only one. I've taken that out. I have also removed the part of speech marker for it, and will do so for every word that I can, or that people bring up. Some words, of course, can be certain: palulukan is certainly not a verb, for instance.

Thank you, a million times.