Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

No worries. Let me know if it comes up again.

'Oma Tirea

Noun case inflections: -ya: IPA is incorrect (should be [ja] where [ya] was used instead)

Also with -y: same thing happens after pronouns ending on o, too (po, fko, sno).

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Taronyu

Fixed the IPA. Not sure what you mean by the -o words. Or, at least, so rusty on the details that I'd feel afraid to change it.

Ngima Nikre

I see paynga' listed but not nga' itself...

Taronyu

Good catch! Sorry about that. Added.

Trash:
Fixed {\bf uk}. {\bf tìng, teswotìng} = vtr. {\bf Pätsì} now a loan word. Fixed the {\bf imv} example. {\bf atokirina'} now in flora. Added {\bf lelì'fya} {\it concerning language.} {\bf M$\cdot$$\cdot$äkxu.} Added note about monosyllabic stress to introduction. Added the words from the January 31st naviteri post. {\bf Emza'u} vtr., {\bf kllfro'} vin. Edited {\bf si} verbs to vin. {\bf Yayayr}, not yayawr. {\bf Yeysu} is a loan. Resyllabified the IPA for {\bf eyawr}. {\bf wäte} infix, {\bf tswayon} vtr. Added all words from \href{http://naviteri.org/2011/02/new-vocabulary-part-2/}{the new Naviteri post}. Added {\bf slele, wan} {\it swim, hide} and their derivations. Syllabified {\bf vrr.ìn.} {\bf Kar} now vtr. Gave primary stress to all monosyllabic words in compound constructions, such as {\bf ultxa si} or {\bf tìng nari}. {\bf Letwan} now modifies nouns. Fixed small error in {\bf ultxa si}.  {\bf Eyk} is, of course, vtr. Spelling errors in «asy» example. Same for {\bf sayrìp}  and {\bf takrra}. Edited {\bf tungzup} back. Fixed error in {\bf fay+}, {\bf tsa--}, {\bf oe kawkrr ke kamä} example. {\bf spaw} is vtr. {\bf eyawr} syllabified correctly. Added {\bf tìtaron} {\it hunting}. Added casual speech for {\bf nìayoeng, nìawomum}.

'Oma Tirea

From here: ftang is now intransitive and modal.  The non modal version, also missing, is tìftang si.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Taronyu

Ok, added.

I also made all + si words derivations instead of compound words. I think this is more accurate.

'Oma Tirea

Here's another idea: marking modal verbs in the dictionary as mod., vmd. vmod. or something similar (you decide that one).  There may still be a little ambiguity on the agentive case marking when it comes to transitive modals, namely new and fmi (and maybe kan), N.K.:

Oel new tsat, but
Oe new yivom tsat

This small confusion could be avoided by cleanly noting which verbs are modal.  Plus we wouldn't have to dig through other learning resources to find the answer easily.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Inspirata on May 20, 2011, 12:26:55 AM
Here's another idea: marking modal verbs in the dictionary as mod., vmd. vmod. or something similar (you decide that one).  There may still be a little ambiguity on the agentive case marking when it comes to transitive modals, namely new and fmi (and maybe kan), N.K.:

Oel new tsat, but
Oe new yivom tsat

This small confusion could be avoided by cleanly noting which verbs are modal.  Plus we wouldn't have to dig through other learning resources to find the answer easily.

You  could also use vim or vtm for intransitive and transitive modals, respectively. Alternatively, since most modal verbs are intransitive, you could simply use vm, with vtrm for the occasional transitive modal. In any case, having modals marked in the dictionary is very helpful.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Taronyu

How many modals are there, really?

Can you say: oe zene, without using a following verb? Doesn't that make it different from new? What about tìrangal? I'm not sure it'd really be efficient to separate these out.

Tanri

Is "tìftang si" really transitive, thus able to accomodate direct object?
To this time, all si-based verbs were strictly intransitive, taking only indirect object in dative case.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tanri on May 20, 2011, 10:47:34 AM
Is "tìftang si" really transitive, thus able to accomodate direct object?
To this time, all si-based verbs were strictly intransitive, taking only indirect object in dative case.
It isn't, ma Tanri, read this: http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/stop!/

When I am here already, a question:
tsranten: PF vin. matter, be of import -> shouldn't it be: be of importance ?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Don't forget kawtseng and tsapo from here

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Taronyu on May 20, 2011, 04:07:29 AM
How many modals are there, really?

Can you say: oe zene, without using a following verb? Doesn't that make it different from new? What about tìrangal? I'm not sure it'd really be efficient to separate these out.

Then could you at least make the formatting a little more uniform for the few modals that we do have?  Here are the inconsistencies:

var: not marked as modal
kan: currently: (can take subjunctive modal construction).  How about using this for all modal verbs instead of (with subjunctive).  It's the clearest of what's in the dictionary.
fmi: inconsistent formatting

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tirea Aean

before I forget, note this picture:

there are two distinct words that translate to medusa. Am I missing something?

EDIT: this is a somewhat old version that is using dict 11.86. I don't know if this was fixed or not

Taronyu

Announcement!

So, after 18 months of being the dictionary-man, (or Head Lexicographer, as I like to put on my CV), I am going to stop updating the dictionary. It's been a really great learning experience, for me, and I really enjoyed all of the enthusiasm that this board has to offer. As I've said elsewhere, I came here originally just to have a poke around, and the community here and this dictionary soon radically changed my view of Na'vi, and I ended up loving it and really enjoying all of the friends I've made here. Going to California was one of the highlights of my undergraduate career - and checking in here, daily, as I've been won't to do, has been a great and constant source of joy and constancy when a lot of my life has changed around me. 

However, I've become increasingly busy this year, as you may have noticed, and I just graduated from my undergraduate degree (unsurprisingly, in Linguistics). I have a pretty intensive job for the summer, and added on to that, I am going to be starting a masters in the fall. Because of this, I feel that it would be best if I let the dictionary go. I'm giving it over to Markì and Tirea Aean, in whose capable hands it should be completely safe.

I'll still be kicking around, here and there. But I just won't be the person to go to anymore for the dictionary. I'm going to lock this thread in a few days, as well, and there will be a new one for all of you to look at and submit your errors to. :)

Thanks, everyone, for making this a great experience. :)

Richard

Plumps

That's sad news indeed. :(
Sad to see you go but I hope you'll stick around.
Best of luck for your tasks that you set yourself. We'll miss you as Mr Dictionary ;) you'll stay in our records :D (as starsìmyu aylì'uä sì Skxawng Makto :D )

Mivakto nìzawnong!

Tirea Aean

Yessir sad news, but good times were had. People move on, I suppose. I hope to see you around every once in some time.

Blue Elf

Ayoe 'efu keftxo, ma Taronyu. You did a great job, but life goes on. Let your followers are as good as you.
Irayo seiyi ngaru ulte Eywa ngahu. Ayoe ke tswaya' kawkrr.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tanri

Ma Taronyu, irayo seiyi ngaru nìtxan tìkangkemìri ngeyä fpi ayeylan lì'fyayä leNa'vi.
Seykxel sì nitram ulte Eywa ngahu frakrr! :)
Tätxawyu akì'ong.