Previous topic - Next topic

HTML_Earth

Mirri

Quote from: suomichris on January 30, 2010, 04:40:40 PM
letsunslu = possible

I see a le-tsun-slu derivation there: "ADJ-can-become."

Quote from: Taronyu on January 30, 2010, 10:24:56 AM
Quote from: Plumps83 on January 30, 2010, 06:38:20 AM
I cannot state this often enough, can I? Thanks so much for your effort! :)
Thanks, a lot. Really. I do often wonder whether it's worth all the effort, haha.

Oe seiyi txana irayo ngaru ma Taronyu. This cutting-edge, living, Our Dictionary project is how I'm learning Na'vi vocabulary and figuring out all the underlying logic of the language. When/if Frommer does get around to eventually publishing a dictionary, the stuff we're doing here is the way I will have learned to use it :)

And we wouldn't be a dozen people here making corrections for it every day if it didn't mean a lot to us ;)
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

Taronyu

You're too quick.

Still editing it. Decided to screw it and go for version 6. added a lot of infixes, more infix examples, changed all fì and tsa to demonstratives.

Thanks guys.

It's up now.

Taronyu

8.1: Added the Trilinear english gloss appendix I used in the Inflections guide.

Lance R. Casey

aw should be 'aw in the number tables.

iyve (NB: not ìyve) is all but certainly a typo for iyev:

Quote from: Paul FrommerSo an epenthetic vowel comes to the rescue: -iyev-

An alternate form of this fused infix has arisen: -ìyev-. As an instance of vowel harmony (rare in Na'vi), the high front tense vowel i has become lax (ì) under the influence of the lax vowel e in the following syllable. Both -iyve- and -ìyev- are acceptable.

Also, the alternative (original) iyev is missing.

Edited to add: Frommer translates nìawnomum as "as you know", where "you" is understood to be plural. This word is really hiyìk!

// Lance R. Casey

Mirri

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on January 31, 2010, 09:31:38 AM
Edited to add: Frommer translates nìawnomum as "as you know", where "you" is understood to be plural. This word is really hiyìk!

We treated this before in my transcript thread of Frommer's message:

Quote from: roger on January 23, 2010, 07:29:01 AM
nìawnomum: no-one understands what the awn is. Most likely it's a contraction of some sort, and maybe there's an aynga in there or s.t.

awnga-r: awnga and ayoeng ("ayweng") are both contractions of *ayoenga. Awnga is a syllable shorter when inflectional endings are added.
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

Eight

Just wondering if the entries for lahe and pongu are correct?

Searching around, it seems everyone seems to use lahe as an adjective (but it's listed as a pronoun)  and pongu as a noun (I'm struggling to see how group/party can be a pronoun... and then have tsampongu as a noun).

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Eight on January 31, 2010, 11:02:23 AM
Searching around, it seems everyone seems to use lahe as an adjective (but it's listed as a pronoun)
We have this snippet, from the Canon wiki page: As for aylaberu, the b should be an h.

Hence lahe is not an adjective. (ay+ + lahe + -ru: for the others)

Quote from: Eight on January 31, 2010, 11:02:23 AM
and pongu as a noun (I'm struggling to see how group/party can be a pronoun... and then have tsampongu as a noun).
Agreed on this one.

// Lance R. Casey

Eight

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on January 31, 2010, 11:11:37 AM
We have this snippet, from the Canon wiki page: As for aylaberu, the b should be an h.

Hence lahe is not an adjective. (ay+ + lahe + -ru: for the others)
Ah cool - that's interesting.

Incidently, anyone else noticed that Na'vi seems to be have designed to make searching webs/forums/wikis with Na'vi keywords annoyingly unproductive. :D

Edit: forgot to say thanks btw. :)

Mirri

From elsethread:

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on January 31, 2010, 11:18:52 AM
QuoteFrommer email:
Ma oeyä eylan,

Tsap'alute, mì upxare a fpole' oel ayngaru trram lu kxeyey:

KEYAWR:
Both -iyve- and -ìyev- are acceptable

EYAWR:
Both -iyev- and -ìyev- are acceptable

Irayo 'eylanur awngeyä Prrton a kxeyeyti rolun.

Hey, new words?

? *eyawr correct
? *run point out, identify

Or something like that?

Quote from: suomichris on January 31, 2010, 01:07:42 PM
Just heard back from Frommer.  run means "find, discover."

Yay a verb for "find"!!

eyawr: adj. correct
run: v. find, discover

kewnya txamew'itan

The table of numbers has an error (you've worked out the table ranges as if one of columns was in the other table).

The first table should be from 0-39 and the second from 40-63.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

txur txe'lante

Kaltxi oeya tsmukan,

oe-ri lu ketslam fipo. I think I said this right
(I-top am not understanding this one thing.)

Ok there is more than one thing I dont understand but first when you say something such as Ni-Navi what does the Ni stand for? I couldnt find where you add it. Also am I correct in saying that one uses ri to describe what is the topic of the sentence?
please help me out

Irayo

Taronyu

Quote from: txur txe'lante on January 31, 2010, 02:40:25 PM
Kaltxi oeya tsmukan,

oe-ri lu ketslam fipo. I think I said this right
(I-top am not understanding this one thing.)

Ok there is more than one thing I dont understand but first when you say something such as Ni-Navi what does the Ni stand for? I couldnt find where you add it. Also am I correct in saying that one uses ri to describe what is the topic of the sentence?
please help me out

Irayo

Kaltxì oeyä tsmukan (note the ä),

the nì- prefix means that it's an adverb. That means that it modifies the verb in a sentence. So, plltxe nìNa'vi means speak na'vi-ly, or like a Na'vi. -ri is for the topic, yes.

Also oe-ri ke tsl<ol>am fìpot.
I-TOP not understand-PERFECTIVE (meaning, you don't at one time, it's not gradual, you just don't get it) this-ACC (since it's transitive.)

Also: Updated. Thanks guys 8.15

Mirri

I notice some of my earlier corrections isn't in the new version. Did you miss them, or don't you agree?

*Should txantsan have its derivation specified? I'm assuming it's txan-sìltsan.

*Shouldn't si have only one entry? Or is it confusing if they're merged?

Quote from: Mirri on January 30, 2010, 08:26:21 AM
On the topic of the difference between pxel and na:
Quote from: wm.annis on January 30, 2010, 08:05:50 AM
... It's possible one is a preposition ("like a rose") and one a conjunction ("like we used to do").  We know from the Behind the Scenes dialog that Jake, at least, uses na like a preposition, aylì'u na ayskxe mì te'lan, the words (are) like stones in my heart.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen pxel in the Frommerian corpus.

I think we can add the source "M" to na and add the category prep. to it.

* Add new source "M" and prep. category to na

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Mirri on January 31, 2010, 03:14:56 PM
That seems like an awful big assumption there.  For all we know, sìltsan is itself derived from something.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Mirri

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 31, 2010, 03:21:43 PM
That seems like an awful big assumption there.  For all we know, sìltsan is itself derived from something.

Well, that's true. But we also know from Frommer that nìltsan is a contraction of nìsìltsan. So it looks like a very moldably word in its derivations (hence -tsan could still be sìltsan). And even if you contract it nearly unrecognizable, the root is still sìltsan.

omängum fra'uti

Right but it's still a bit of a leap there for now...
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Taronyu

I notice some of my earlier corrections isn't in the new version. Did you miss them, or don't you agree?

*Shouldn't si have only one entry? Or is it confusing if they're merged?

Quote from: Mirri on January 30, 2010, 08:26:21 AM
On the topic of the difference between pxel and na:
Quote from: wm.annis on January 30, 2010, 08:05:50 AM
... It's possible one is a preposition ("like a rose") and one a conjunction ("like we used to do").  We know from the Behind the Scenes dialog that Jake, at least, uses na like a preposition, aylì'u na ayskxe mì te'lan, the words (are) like stones in my heart.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen pxel in the Frommerian corpus.

I think we can add the source "M" to na and add the category prep. to it.

* Add new source "M" and prep. category to na

Combination of both. Thought I stated that. For sìltsan, see above, and consider nìltsan. Changed na.  As for si, found a way to merge it, now that I spent some time looking at it and not just giving up.

MAJOR EDIT a ayoeng sìltsanhu layu: moved ì and ä into their own categories.

(also, added some numbers). :):);):):):):)

Taronyu

Right. Did some other stuff. Went through and looked for all cases of [ɾ] being [r] by mistake, and for [e], and then added stress for the numbers we have, including every number in the Number chart. Should be solid, now.

roger

asked how to say "good night" (and a couple others, but this is what I got back)

Let's make it txon lefpom.

lefpom = happy, peaceful, joyous (not for people)

A bit expected, perhaps, but I think it has a nice quality, with the two o's.

As you know, le- adjectives don't take "modifying a" when post-nominal.

The full version would be, "Txon lefpom livu ngar."