Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Hey guys, I'm going to put in references as to where each word comes from. Please let me know what you think. Here is where I suggest putting this quote:

MonocleO.Q

Oeri ketslam...

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at, haha.
rey yol ulte lu fpom.

Taronyu

Don't worry.

Hey Everyone. I changed the dictionary.

EVERY WORD IS NOW SOURCED.

Enjoy.

http://www.talknavi.com/taronyu/Na%27vi%20Dictionary.pdf

Ftiafpi

shiny! (I don't bother printing out each version any more, I'm just going to leave a day or two between each printing from now on :P)

Taronyu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 03, 2010, 01:45:58 AM
shiny! (I don't bother printing out each version any more, I'm just going to leave a day or two between each printing from now on :P)

Personally, I've never printed it. :P And I updated it within 15 minutes of posting that.

I'm most likely going to be out of things to do, soon. I have just a few more things I could do, which is run through the dictionary from the start, again, checking parts of speech. That's it.

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteEVERY WORD IS NOW SOURCED.

I appreciate this improvement very much, since I think that it's really important at this point, to discern acknowledged information and speculative ones. You are doing it rigth, ma Taronyu.

Plumps

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 03, 2010, 05:54:37 AM
Ma Taronyu,

Wow, just now had a quick look at your dictionary ... that's amazing work! Thanks so much for that!
I hate myself for finding mistakes all the time  :-\ but I guess it can only help to improve the quality of what we have, :) and it's such a minor detail: page 4, suffix entry "-íri" should be "-ìri", shouldn't it?

Kìyevame

Sorry, for having posted that in the wrong thread - was before I discovered the link here.

Another thing I came across right now.

Quotea: [a] S adj. which, that
Isn't that more a relative pronoun?

Quoteei: positive affect verbal infix in position 3
should be <ei>, right? because it's an infix...

Thanks again for your sleepless efforts - you must be walking around like a blue zombie by now :P - allow yourself some rest ;)

Taronyu

I am pretty tired, let's face it. Too many nights staying up is starting to wear me down. I'll be flying home in a bit, though, and I think I can use the staying-up to help beat jet lag.

Edited and uploaded. Well spotted. I think I read somewhere you feel bad finding errors: don't! Someone has to find them. I'm glad someone is.

I need to find a better way to mark relative pronouns and correlatives. Just saying pn. or adv. doesn't really work, I think.

wm.annis

In the dictionary you have the word sìre marked as dubious for life.  My guess is this is from the sound samples in the NY Times.  It's in the phrase mì sìrey, so it's just the normal word for life with lenition after .

Taronyu

Quote from: wm.annis on January 03, 2010, 11:39:57 AM
In the dictionary you have the word sìre marked as dubious for life.  My guess is this is from the sound samples in the NY Times.  It's in the phrase mì sìrey, so it's just the normal word for life with lenition after .

Fixed. Also added the word fayvrrtep, from the wiki corpus page, and an entry for *fay, as a new example of fì+lenition. Changed *fì- to fì, accordingly, and the source to Frommer. Current version: 2.107.

Plumps

Quote from: Taronyu on January 03, 2010, 10:34:34 AM
Edited and uploaded. Well spotted. I think I read somewhere you feel bad finding errors: don't! Someone has to find them. I'm glad someone is.

Maybe... And I know (or at least I want to believe) that it helps in order to improve the quality of what we have so far ... but I know how it is. I don't even want to ask how many hours you spent doing this, going over and over the same document varifying, changing and improving things... And then still spotting errors is just depressing from a certain time onward, I presume ;)

I don't know why I'm so 'good' at spotting errors - maybe I'm made to be an editor :D

wm.annis

In the Activist Survival Guide plant section (p.131), is pxorna' defined as "exploding seed".   So "seed" might be na', although some sort of apocope might be involved.

Taronyu

Quote from: wm.annis on January 03, 2010, 12:16:16 PM
In the Activist Survival Guide plant section (p.131), is pxorna' defined as "exploding seed".   So "seed" might be na', although some sort of apocope might be involved.

Added. Cheers. Did not derive *pxo, as we're not sure whether that is a botanical thing, or species specific, or what.

Taronyu

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 03, 2010, 11:57:02 AM
I don't even want to ask how many hours you spent doing this, going over and over the same document varifying, changing and improving things... And then still spotting errors is just depressing from a certain time onward, I presume ;)

For some reason, this is never depressing. But you really do not want to know, I agree.

Version 3 is up! I bought the guide today, and added every Na'vi word I found in it, which was significantly more than we have from the other dictionaries, which only used the list at the back of the guide. Seriously, this is now the most inclusive dictionary, by far. Many of these words are illegal: I'd rather have an illegal word than to not have it at all, to be honest. We need everything we can get.

By the way, I am really happy. Why, you ask?

WE NOW HAVE A WORD FOR WATER! *PAY!
(albeit derived, heh)

Edit: 3.010 = +kilvan river.

Think I fixed some other stuff. Oh, yeah, took out the ±, for adding a male or female suffix to a noun, as it does not result in predictable stress.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Amazing!

Will we see an English to Na'vi guide anytime soon? It makes it so much easier for me.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Taronyu

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 04, 2010, 12:36:50 AM
Amazing!

Will we see an English to Na'vi guide anytime soon? It makes it so much easier for me.

No, we won't. It would be a ton of hassle for me to change it around, and it's not worth it, as you can use Ctrl + F, or Apple + F, to look for english words while on your computer. I also don't think that English to Na'vi would work as well, as we have certified Na'vi words, but there are many words for something in English.

I am making a Na'vi Grammar, but that's not a dictionary, that's a guide.

Robert Nantangä Tirea

the vocab list on www.learnnavi.org can be used as an Na'vi-to-English (thought it's not nearly as complete at Taronyu's dictionary) Actually if you just press ctrl+f when viewing the dictionary to search it for specific words.

An English-to-Na'vi dictionary would be useful but a cheater's handbook :P can't make things easy can we?

if we get to several thousand words I'd be up for build a webpage that provides English-to-Na'vi and Na'vi-to-English vocab list.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteMany of these words are illegal: I'd rather have an illegal word than to not have it at all, to be honest. We need everything we can get.

Well ... this is a point, to which I won't follow you anymore. Of course, we all want to get more informations, but I don't agree, that in order to get them, we should use any source regardless from where it comes and if it is really trustworthy. As far as for my own studies of Na'vi, I will stick as strictly as possible to a clean philological approach, although that means, that we are restricted to very little information at the moment.

Taronyu

Quote from: Harìghawnu on January 04, 2010, 04:17:19 AM

QuoteMany of these words are illegal: I'd rather have an illegal word than to not have it at all, to be honest. We need everything we can get.

Well ... this is a point, to which I won't follow you anymore. Of course, we all want to get more informations, but I don't agree, that in order to get them, we should use any source regardless from where it comes and if it is really trustworthy. As far as for my own studies of Na'vi, I will stick as strictly as possible to a clean philological approach, although that means, that we are restricted to very little information at the moment.

I didn't say I'd be using those words. I'm just saying I'd like to put them in the document, to show that they do, in fact, exist. Some of them are correct.

Sh4rK

Hello Taronyu!

I found this:
kerusey: [kERusEj] S adj. dead (c.w. from
ke not and r<us>ey dead)

but r<us>ey should be live or alive, and ke makes it "not alive" = dead i think.
If its not correct then sorry.