Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

Quote from: szabot on January 04, 2010, 08:53:27 AM
Hello Taronyu!

I found this:
kerusey: [kERusEj] S adj. dead (c.w. from
ke not and r<us>ey dead)

but r<us>ey should be live or alive, and ke makes it "not alive" = dead i think.
If its not correct then sorry.

That would seem like a valid derivation

Taronyu

Quote from: szabot on January 04, 2010, 08:53:27 AM
Hello Taronyu!

I found this:
kerusey: [kERusEj] S adj. dead (c.w. from
ke not and r<us>ey dead)

but r<us>ey should be live or alive, and ke makes it "not alive" = dead i think.
If its not correct then sorry.

That is a good call.

I've majorly updated the dictionary, again. I went through and double checked everything, and took all illegal words out and put them in an appendix. I'm going to upload it now, but I have one more major edit I want to do, and then I should actually be...done. Weird.

Taronyu.

txum tukru

oooooh, thanks so much! fantastic i say, fantastic! post when youve finnished uploading the new one so i can print it off :)
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

Taronyu

I uploaded it. Should make another one sometime soon - going to give examples for every grammatical word, help people out. Besides that, there really isn't much left I can do, at all. Change some IPA [e]s to [ɛ]. Remove some parts of speech. That's about it, and that's just editing.

Plumps

Thanks so much again, ma taronyu!

Somebody near you should treat you with a beer or something to say thanks from all of us! :)

Taronyu

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 05, 2010, 06:11:31 AM
Thanks so much again, ma taronyu!

Somebody near you should treat you with a beer or something to say thanks from all of us! :)

Hear hear! PS. I would like a shirt! :P

Srereu Aynantanghu

Plumps

Quote from: Taronyu on January 05, 2010, 06:12:24 AM

That, ma tsmukan, unfortunately lies not in my power ;)

There was another disussion in a post about the word for "fruit" - kì'ong was suggested but I was hesitant about it ... now I discovered the entries "utral utu mauti" and "utu mauti" in your dictionary. Could we derive from that that "utu" could be the word for fruit? - Just a thought

Taronyu

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 05, 2010, 06:29:39 AM
Quote from: Taronyu on January 05, 2010, 06:12:24 AM

That, ma tsmukan, unfortunately lies not in my power ;)

There was another disussion in a post about the word for "fruit" - kì'ong was suggested but I was hesitant about it ... now I discovered the entries "utral utu mauti" and "utu mauti" in your dictionary. Could we derive from that that "utu" could be the word for fruit? - Just a thought

There are two words for types of fruit. They both start with a k, can't be bothered looking them up. But no, we can't derive that, because those both mean "push fruit". Which is push, which is fruit? It's impossible to tell. Also, that may be specific to that kind of fruit, like passion fruit is.

Doolio

taronyu, we all thank youl for your great and dedicated work:)
...taj rad...

Plumps

Quote from: Taronyu on January 05, 2010, 06:32:15 AM
There are two words for types of fruit. They both start with a k, can't be bothered looking them up. But no, we can't derive that, because those both mean "push fruit". Which is push, which is fruit? It's impossible to tell. Also, that may be specific to that kind of fruit, like passion fruit is.

Okay, that's true and I see your point. We just have to eat the ... specific fruit then :P

Taronyu

In other news, utu mauti is listed as banana fruit.

So I guess I had an utu mauti this morning.

Karyu Amawey

Taronyu, I fully appreciate all the hard work that has gone into your dictionary.  It is by far the most comprehensive and well referenced one we have.  I fully appreciate all the great comments and input.  There has been a lot of speculation about stress markings on the words.  As a linguistics graduate student, I  know that most all languages follow stress patterns.  Spanish, for instance, typically has stress on the third to last syllable.  That said, although some of the stress markings come from Dr. Frommer himsef, the rest are speculation based on the overwhelming data we have accrued thus far.  There will always be exceptions to these rules, but for the time being, it can only be speculation since Dr Frommer does not technically have the rights to the language.  I am fully confident, however, that one day there will be an official source for Na'vi.  For the time being, we can look at all the data that has been presented to us and assume there is a system of organization behind it all. Although, as a linguist, I am confident that Dr Frommer knows that stress patterns are dominantly similar within languages.  Finally, I have updated the pocket guide to incorporate more of my own input, and most of the input everyone else asked for.  There will be errors, and I would really appreciate anyone who finds them point them out in a professional and polite manner :) The bilingual dictionary in the pocket guide is merely a guide and lesser reference compared to this well stuctured, well formatted dictionary.  Therefore, for those just starting to learn the language, I would recommend both. However, for the more experienced Na'vi speaker, I would full heartedly recommend this one :) Irayo to everyone for making this possible!

Karyu Amawey
Oel ayngati kameie

Taronyu

Hey Karyu, awesome. Thanks for understanding: I felt a bit awkward for redoing something you'd done, which is one of the reasons I've made it as conclusive as possible. I am 99% certain that this dictionary is pretty much perfect. I've gone over the data so many times, and from the original sources, not from the posts or the blogs or your dictionary (although that started me out, so thanks a million.) About stress, I think we're just going to have to assume it's variable. A lot of the stress makes no sense: for examples, look at the various words that add +an and +e. It's ridiculous.

I'm working on a version of your guide, currently, so to speak. Well, I'm going back to the original stock, from Frommer's blog post and from wikipedia and the sentences from which they derive information. Hopefully, this one will not be a guide, like yours is, but a grammar, a full list of everything we know and don't know about this language. I hope you'll approve of this: your guide is essential for entering the language, but I want something a bit more conclusive, if that's cool. Have you derived any new words or edited your vocabulary list, and found anything that isn't in mine? Please let me know, if so, I don't want to run over all of your lists again (for the tsìvol krr, haha). Glad you're updating yours more.

Could you please add just a line about the sources you used to compile the document? I unlocked the thread in the normal section about this, because I feel it is very important (one of the reasons I've spent days, literally, editing this dictionary to make sure that everything works, source-wise. No idea where alìm is from, though. Damn.)

:)

Karyu Amawey

Haha, Ill definitely make sure to let you know if there were any missing words!  Perhaps if you could do the same for me as well!  I believe I will take out the stress markings I incorporated (I knew the day would come when someone would question them!) and I am also putting everything in my own words so that it is separate from the wikipedia article.  I will definitely source everyhting that I incorporated.  I would also like to apologise to the larger community out there for assuming the stress markings.  I think this version 3 will be to most everyone's liking! 

PS- Taronyu, I think it would be great to discuss combining our guides into one larger document, so as to have a more comprehensive outlook on it all?  My email is [email protected], let me know if you would be interested!

Ewya ayngahu

Karyu Amawey
Oel ayngati kameie

Toruk Makto

I bow low to you folks that are breathing so much life into this language. You guys are totally awesome. Apxa-a irayo (large thanks?) for all your hard work!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Hashe

How many words are there?

Taronyu

Quote from: Hashe on January 05, 2010, 01:26:41 PM
How many words are there?

Quite a few. I haven't counted.

Hashe

I have heard about 1000 words in Na'vi, but i had seen only 500

Taronyu

Quote from: Hashe on January 05, 2010, 02:45:59 PM
I have heard about 1000 words in Na'vi, but i had seen only 500

These are the ones we have, from every source I could find. There are more that Frommer hasn't told us.