Our Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, December 27, 2009, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

So, I liked the dictionaries we have right now, but I felt I wanted one with better formatting. I also found a few errors, and I just generally wanted to do something, so I made another one. The data I have is directly sourced, and most of it now comes directly from Frommer. Please, if you know of any words not present, errors, or have any suggestions, please please please post them here.

I have marked all pronunciation using the IPA, as Frommer has given it, including stress, syllable divisions, infix positions, and exceptions to general rules.

If you want to search the dictionary online without using the pdf, please go here. This is a wonderful, multilingual service set up by Tuiq.

There are several appendices:

• A) A chart of the Na'vi Numbers
  • B) A Time Chart, for the days of the week and the times of the day
  • C) Na'vi Loan Words
  • D) Proper Nouns in Na'vi, including the flora and fauna of Pandora
  • E) A List of Pandoran Flora and Fauna
  • F) Useful Stock Phrases and Idioms
  • G) A list of the Na'vi Alphabet
  • H) Illegal words found in official sources.
  • I) A list infixes and inflections, with examples
  • J) A change log, listing what I've changed in each version.

This is the most complete dictionary we currently have which is downloadable: the other is in the Wiki. There will inevitably be errors. They are updated very frequently

English:

The Na'vi Dictionary Complete.

The Concise Na'vi Dictionary Without Derivations and some Appendices

The Na'vi Dictionary Categorised by Part of Speech

English - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Taronyu

Estonian:

Na'vi - Estonian Dictionary Translated by KalaKuival

Na'vi - Estonian Categorised Dictionary Translated by KalaKuival

Estonian - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by KalaKuival

German:

Na'vi - German/Deutsch Dictionary Translated by Nawmaritie and Plumps183

Na'vi - German/Deutsch Categorised Dictionary Translated by Nawmaritie and Plumps183

German/Deutsch - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Nawmaritie and Plumps183

Magyar:

Na'vi - Magyar/Hungarian Dictionary Translated by Kifkeyä Nari

Na'vi - Magyar/Hungarian Categorised Dictionary Translated by Kifkeyä Nari

Magyar/Hungarian - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Kifkeyä Nari

Portuguese:

Na'vi - Português Dictionary Translated by Arthur Sousa

Na'vi - Português Categorised Dictionary Translated by Arthur Sousa

Português - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Arthur Sousa

Swedish:

Na'vi - Swedish Dictionary Translated by Le'eylan

Na'vi - Swedish Categorised Dictionary Translated by Le'eylan

Swedish - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Le'eylan

Other dictionaries that are not updated completely:

Dutch: Offline, needs new translator

Na'vi - Dutch Dictionary Translated by Leofox

Na'vi - Dutch Categorised Dictionary Translated by Leofox

Dutch - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Leofox

Russian: Version 10

Na'vi - Russian Dictionary Translated by Night Raider, avb2008, Atantsawkeyä

Na'vi - Russian Categorised Dictionary Translated by Night Raider, avb2008, Atantsawkeyä

Russian - Na'vi Dictionary Translated by Night Raider, avb2008, Atantsawkeyä

Na'vi:

Na'vi - Na'vi Kelku ayLi'uä Translated by Taronyu

Na'vi - Na'vi Awneyka Kelku ayLi'uä Translated by Taronyu

Na'vi - Na'vi Kelku ayLi'uä Translated by Taronyu

If you speak another language, and want to translate, please let Tuiq or me know.

Eywa Murtag

that's really awesome ^_^
Gonna help a lot of people, including me :)

txum tukru

good job! like it how its all in a couple of pages, saves printing :)
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

MasterEro

Very good, sir! This will be very helpful as we all epand our vocabularies.

Irayo, tsmukan! 

Motxokxen

irayo
i shall save this and notify you of any errors.

Nayumeie

Just a thought, but shouldn't A and Ä be separate groups in the dictionary, being different sounds?
Same with I and Ì, and the ejectives.
Just wondering.

Taronyu

I've been debating that. I just realised that I had ts after tu. Pfft.

I'm not sure. They are the same in English, but perhaps, following Na'vi writing, we should. I aimed at making this easier for the english-reader, however.

Nayumeie

I see. Completely understandable.

Can we expect an English to Na'vi dictionary in the near future?

Taronyu

Yes, you can. If you want one. I assume that that statement means you do.

You can also expect a complete grammar of the language, so far. And I don't just mean copying wikipedia, although that is useful. I'm stuck in the wrong country until the 4th, and I got nothing but time.......

Toruk Makto

Yay! More reference material for my notebook!  Irayu!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

wm.annis

The IPA for 'ì'awn has gone horribly astray.

The *kaw may be a reduction of ke 'aw.

IPA on kllfrivo' needs a final glottal stop (also, note spelling — verified from the Activist Survival Guide).

IPA for na'rìng got an extra syllable boundary marker.

Where is ma;)

sat is a lenited form of tsat.

Syllabification of utral should be ut.ral.

za'ärip should probably be syllabified za.'ä.rip

Toruk Makto

Taronyu, may I suggest you put your name somewhere in the dictionary document you made? I am putting a notebook together of every reference resource I find and want to make sure the proper credit is recorded.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Taronyu

wm.annis, Thank you so much! Will edit.

Txepyä Siyu - I will do. This was only the first draft, anyway. :)

Na'rìghawnu

Hello, Taronyu!

Thank you very much for your work. I just wanted to ask you a question about it: You (as well as Karyu Amawey in his "Pocket guide") are giving also IPA-transcription to the Na'vi-words. I would kindly ask you to tell me the source of this information, since the IPA-transcripts often indicate accents (stress), that are not given by the underlining-method used e. g. in the "Survival guide", from which the mere wordlist may come.

As for an example: the word "sìltsan" has no underlining in the "Survival Guide", but your dictionary (as well as the "Pocket-Guide") contains the IPA-transcript /sɪl.'ʦan/, indicating a stress on the second syllable. And there are many, many more examples like this one.

So I wanted to know, from what source the IPA-transcripts came, so that I may verify, that the stresses indicated in the IPA-transcripts are officially acknowledged.

Thank you very much for an enlightment.

Taronyu

Quote from: Harìghawnu on December 29, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
Thank you very much for your work. I just wanted to ask you a question about it: You (as well as Karyu Amawey in his "Pocket guide") are giving also IPA-transcription to the Na'vi-words. I would kindly ask you to tell me the source of this information, since the IPA-transcripts often indicate accents (stress), that are not given by the underlining-method used e. g. in the "Survival guide", from which the mere wordlist may come.

As for an example: the word "sìltsan" has no underlining in the "Survival Guide", but your dictionary (as well as the "Pocket-Guide") contains the IPA-transcript /sɪl.'ʦan/, indicating a stress on the second syllable. And there are many, many more examples like this one.

So I wanted to know, from what source the IPA-transcripts came, so that I may verify, that the stresses indicated in the IPA-transcripts are officially acknowledged.

Right. You've caught me. I don't know where the pocket guide got its information: so I copied right off the Pocket Guide. Thinking over it, I think I am going to leave the stress in, but hopefully remove it when I go over more documents ( I haven't finished yet) and hopefully when I've asked Frommer about it.

For now, it's safe to say that I attach the stress with a massive caveat.

omängum fra'uti

I think the theory was that any word that was not specifically marked, the stress was intended to be on the last syllable.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Na'rìghawnu

OK. Thank you, Taronyu, for your quick reply. I've asked Karyu Amawey the same question this morning (well, at least here in Germany it's morning at the moment) and hope to receive an answer about his source. When/If I get one, I will inform you too. Thanks again.

Na'rìghawnu

@omängum
What is the source of your theory?
Besides that: It doesn't seem to fit. As for an example take the word tengfya. It has no underlining in the "Survival guide", but the IPA-transcript shows a stress on the FIRST syllable. The same about "neto" and other words.

omängum fra'uti

Just second hand information on that, I don't have the survival guide yet, been meaning to get it.  I'd find it odd that tengfya would have a different stress as tengkrr though, which it seems to in the material I'm looking at.  I'd call one of them a transcription error.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Na'rìghawnu

Well, there are more examples like tengfya, so I not really believe in errors ... e.g. neto, lonu, ralpeng etc. They all have no underlining, but IPA-stress on the FIRST syllable.