Use of <asy> and <ìsy>

Started by Eyawng te Klltepayu, May 13, 2011, 02:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyawng te Klltepayu

I've generally steered clear of these infixes because I'm uncertain what kind of sentence would warrant their use. So far as I know they're not heard in any of the dialogue from the film, even in situations where characters seem pretty determined about future actions. Do we have any guidelines from Karyu Pawl?
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Carborundum

As I understand it, ‹asy› and ‹ìsy› denote prospective aspect, AKA going-to future. E.g:

Oe tayaron - I will hunt
Oe tasyaron - I am going to hunt
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

wm.annis

Quote from: Carborundum on May 13, 2011, 05:54:15 AM
As I understand it, ‹asy› and ‹ìsy› denote prospective aspect, AKA going-to future. E.g:

It's not really a prospective marker, though some uses of the prospective are covered by it.  You cannot use it to say, po tasyaron for all senses of he's going to hunt, only when you have some intention about the situation.  I don't think it would make much sense to use an s-future about a situation over which I had no control, but I can still say, "the Mississippi river is going to flood."

Frommer himself says he didn't use it as often as he could have, so I wouldn't be too alarmed by it not occurring in the film more.  It does show up in some of the game dialog, apparently.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

I understand these infixes as future-determined as in "I will definitely [verb]."  (Is that somewhat correct?)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

wm.annis

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on May 13, 2011, 12:31:35 PM
I understand these infixes as future-determined as in "I will definitely [verb]."  (Is that somewhat correct?)

Sort of — it misses an important point because you used a first person pronoun in your example.  The determination is always from the viewpoint of the speaker, not the subject of the sentence.  "Tsu'tey will definitely go" is Tsu'tey kasyä, regardless of how Tsu'tey might feel about things.

Maweyatan

I had made a prezi for PNgN on this. It was short, but I thought it described the situation well.

http://prezi.com/-tscltk9bfua/navi-project-ngaynume-lesson-from-maweyatan/

Slide 2 & 3.

Yep...sorry for the bump.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

And I see the aynantang atswusayon make their appearance in that prezi  :P

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

tad late, but perhaps these bits of Frommerian canon may be of some assistance:

http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Canon/2010/March-June#Intentional_Future_Details

and

Quote from: Pawl
Better: Pìsyeng oe ngar. The two future markers have alternate forms with s: -ì(s)y- and -a(s)y- . The s-forms are used optionally to indicate determination to bring something about rather than a simple prediction about the future. (I used them occasionally but probably shd. do so more.)
(from http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Canon/2010/March-June#A_Collection )