Na'vi Reference Grammar

Started by wm.annis, August 13, 2010, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: wm.annis on February 24, 2011, 04:41:25 PM
Sorry, no *fura.
It's just my OCD that wants there to be *fura and *tsara.  <sigh>   ;)
'Ivong, Na'vi!

wm.annis

Quote from: Carborundum on February 24, 2011, 05:00:54 PM
It seems like tsnì does in fact not cause a verb following it to take the subjunctive, so 6.8.5. and 6.19.7. need updating.

Eääh.  Text in maroon added for the next version.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

5.4.2 says the word for color is opin (without a glottal stop).  It should be 'opin.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

wm.annis

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on March 05, 2011, 07:44:02 PM
5.4.2 says the word for color is opin (without a glottal stop).  It should be 'opin.

Will be fixed in the next version.  Irayo.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

In 6.20.1.1 you say " one or the other of the san... sìk pair can be dropped." but don't give any examples of san being dropped, only sìk.  Would it go something like this:

Oe kayä sìk poltxe Eytukan.
???
'Ivong, Na'vi!

'Oma Tirea

An additional update: 2.1.4.4: Double consonants are now allowable.  They arise from the attachment of adpositions at the end of a noun, n.k. tsammì (Na'viteri)

Kop:

Questions of decision should be added (in maroon text of course): how would fko translate something like: is it this one or is it that one?  We have ftxey...fuke, but that doesn't seem to help with how to ask a question like that, let alone questions such as Is it the first one, second one, third one, or the fourth one?

It seems like a while since this has been updated.  Been busy?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

wm.annis

Quote from: Inspirata on May 09, 2011, 01:28:14 AMIt seems like a while since this has been updated.  Been busy?

Unless there is a Major Revelation, I don't usually push out a new grammar after each new tidbit from Paul.  I've been accumulating small updates.  I had been hoping for some clarification on a few points from him, but I'll probably push out a new revision today or tomorrow.

wm.annis

Released 1.14 today.  A lot of subtle changes:

* remove footnote about "proper phrases''
* questions about tsnì;
* derivations in (ke)tsuk-, -fkeyk, -ìva
* word order effects section added
* sweylu;
* colloquial register
* derivations of time in fì-, -am and -ay
* derivations in -nga'
* what about a *tsapo? (my interpretation of Inspirata's question)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Inspirata on May 09, 2011, 01:28:14 AM
Questions of decision should be added (in maroon text of course): how would fko translate something like: is it this one or is it that one?  We have ftxey...fuke, but that doesn't seem to help with how to ask a question like that, let alone questions such as Is it the first one, second one, third one, or the fourth one?

Ma annis you probably misinterpreted this a little...

I was talking about an addition for §6.14: what to do about translating a question such as will I do this today, do this tomorrow, or do something else tomorrow?

Quote from: wm.annis on May 10, 2011, 04:52:17 PM
* what about a *tsapo? (my interpretation of Inspirata's question)

That wasn't it.  However if you're questioning that word from the LEP maybe *kawpo should be questioned as well.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

wm.annis

Quote from: Inspirata on May 13, 2011, 03:57:13 AMMa annis you probably misinterpreted this a little...

I didn't think it through enough. :)  I suppose the heart of the question is, is there a positive ftxey... fu... to go with ftxey... fuke?  "Or" in questions can be a surprisingly tricky matter.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: wm.annis on May 13, 2011, 07:26:22 AM
I suppose the heart of the question is, is there a positive ftxey... fu... to go with ftxey... fuke?  "Or" in questions can be a surprisingly tricky matter.

Ngaru tìyawr :)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

omängum fra'uti

I'm pretty sure I remember that we've been told -yu is freely productive (and -tu isn't), but it's not marked as such in the grammar.  However, for the life of me I can't find any quote that says either way w.r.t. -yu and -tu.

Ma wm.annis, with your encyclopedic knowledge of all things canon, am I indeed spotting an omission and you can recall where it was stated, or am I rather mis-stating a commonly held bit of misinformation?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Lance R. Casey

The confirmation on -yu is here, but the only statement I can recall regarding -tu is inconclusive.

// Lance R. Casey

wm.annis

New version out, 1.15.  Interestingly, next week Saturday marks the one year anniversary of the first release.

I've been hoarding very small changes and updates, but with the last two blog posts a new release is clearly in order.

* kawtseng, tsapo
* prenoun contraction
* genitive of nouns in -ia
* note -yu productivity
* kekem
* tsa'u- forms update
* mawkrra
* some topical and focused examples
* the big number agreement blog post rolled in
* example of ìlä
* first example of

'Oma Tirea

3.4: seems like the text glitched out on you.  The "no action" isn't directly underneath the "kekem."

Also there are a few pe+ prefixes on the blog that are worth mentioning: pem+ and pep+.  They can apply to more than just kem and tut/an/e/é.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

wm.annis

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on August 06, 2011, 12:36:29 AM
3.4: seems like the text glitched out on you.  The "no action" isn't directly underneath the "kekem."

Thanks.

QuoteAlso there are a few pe+ prefixes on the blog that are worth mentioning: pem+ and pep+.  They can apply to more than just kem and tut/an/e/é.

No, they can't. "As for such questions as how pe- interacts with fne- 'kind, type' and how it works with the full variety of nouns, we'll leave those for another time."  Until he addresses this, I'm not even hinting this is a general pattern. :)

Ngima Nikre

I noticed another small mistake in 3.4.1.1, for the forms of pehem/kempe, where it says "singular" instead of trial and plural.

wm.annis

Quote from: Ngima Nikre on August 07, 2011, 09:19:12 PM
I noticed another small mistake in 3.4.1.1, for the forms of pehem/kempe, where it says "singular" instead of trial and plural.

Ahh, cut-and-paste errors.  Irayo.

Plumps

Just noticed a small typo... Don't know if you already fixed that.

In 6.16.3 it says yola krr, txana krr, ke transten => tsranten

wm.annis

Quote from: Plumps on August 17, 2011, 12:16:16 PM
Just noticed a small typo... Don't know if you already fixed that.

Irayo!  Zeykolo.