Na'vi Reference Grammar

Started by wm.annis, August 13, 2010, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Tewti, ma Wm. Annis
Txantsan, nìfrakrr

The entry on reflexive verbs ends all the arguments concerning fìtsap and äp!

Wonderful cartoon, Marki!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Seze Mune

Quote from: wm.annis on November 02, 2011, 07:47:43 AM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on November 02, 2011, 12:53:06 AM
More nuances for the next edition of Horen Lì'fyayä leNa'vi ta Na'viteri: fìtsap + <äp> and a little more about the <ats> infix... if that's important to you.

And a new conditional type snuck in.  :)

It is important, but I'm still recovering from a travel disaster that involved me wandering around NY City trying to find a hotel that would have me.  Give me a day or two to update the grammar.

Hey! I always wondered whether 'snuck' was a real word! If Wm. Annis uses it, it's gotta be legit, by definition!   ;D ;)

Kamean

Ma Wm. Annis - ayrel atxantsan! ;D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

There's an interesting thread going on, where the infixing of modal verbs is being addressed. Although most of the various infixes are talked about in your entry on modal verbs (6.8.3.1), nothing is said of affect infixes. If read carefully, it implies the affect infixes should go in the modal verb, but it is not clear to a more casual read. This is something you might consider clarifying in your next revision.

The discussion is here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/prefixes-infixes-and-suffixes/modal-constructions-and-mood-infixes/msg514216/?boardseen#new

Keep up the good work, ma Wm. Annis!

Yawey ngahu!

Eltu Lefngap Makto

As always, thanks so much for this thing.  I was wondering if you'd found your "general conditional sentence" example.  I saw something about that in the comments of Naviteri the other day.  I figure with all the grammar stuff that has come out lately, there might be a new version of 'Horen' in our future ...?  ::)
'Ivong, Na'vi!

wm.annis

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 12, 2012, 10:48:12 AMI figure with all the grammar stuff that has come out lately, there might be a new version of 'Horen' in our future ...? 

Yep, some time over the weekend. 

wm.annis

First, I'm still waiting on some grammatical declarations from Karyu Pawl before producing a new PDF.  Hopefully those will come soon.

Second, for those who care, the LaTeX sources for the grammar are now hosted on LN.org's own Subversion service: http://svn.learnnavi.org/svn/horen-lenavi/ (if you're browsing directly to the sources, you may need to prod your browser to use Unicode).  The space for the Polish and the (future) German translations exist, but haven't gotten filled in yet.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Wonderful.  Looking forward to the updates.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

Some cool new notes came out in the most recent blog post, as I'm sure you're aware. I compiled all new words and notes here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/the-dictionary-part-ii/msg526340/#msg526340

wm.annis

Aaaarrrgh!  There's a new post out with delicious tidbits of grammar.  Unfortunately, I just got a new computer, and I am still battling with it to get LaTeX back into a state I consider acceptable.  I commit myself to getting a new version out — finally — by Sunday.  You may mock me if I miss that deadline. ;)

Blue Elf

When you are making changes:  "pum" definition in
Quote6.4.5.1. The genitive can be used predicatively, as in fìtseng lu awngeyä this place is ours. However,
the prop noun pum possession, thing possessed is more often used, kelku ngeyä lu tsawl, oeyä lu hì'i your house is large, mine is small.
needs to changed as in 6.2.4.5
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

wm.annis

Finally!  A new version, 1.18.  After much irritating fiddling about to deal with changes to XeTeX, here are the changes most people care about:

* fìtsap with intransitives
* intransitive reflexives
* a bunch of typo fixes from Blue Elf (irayo nìtxan!)
* contrastive demonstratives
* new info on sä-
* correlative comparisons
* clean up reduplication section, with help from nì'ul'ul example

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo, ma Wm. Annis! That's all good, useful stuff!

Yawey ngahu!

Seze Mune

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 05, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Yes, it is.  Thank you for all you do, ma Wm. Annis.  It is a labor of love, nothing less.  You are appreciated!  :D

Kamean

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 07, 2012, 08:12:57 AM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 05, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Yes, it is.  Thank you for all you do, ma Wm. Annis.  It is a labor of love, nothing less.  You are appreciated!  :D
Mllte. Irayo seiyi! :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Ftiafpi

Ngaru seiyi irayo nìtxan! This is my go to reference when I run into linguistic oddities these days.

wm.annis

I'm glad people find my high-power grammar nerdery useful.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Even for people like me (who don't know linguistics very well), it seems to be a good step after 'Nutshell'. I've enjoyed reading something with some more detail... :)
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Plumps

Quote3.6.1.4.    Infixes are placed only in one element of a compound verb. For example, yomtìng feed is a compound of yom eat and tìng give. The perfective of this is not *y‹ol›omtìng, but yomt‹ol›ìng. Most compound verbs will have the verb element last, which will take the infixes. A few compounds, however, do add infixes to the first element. These must be learned from the lexicon.

This is a bit misleading, I think. Couldn't you say if one element of the compount is non-verbal, everything goes in the verb element (pllngay, pänutìng, kawngsar, emza'u...). If they are two verb elements they simply have to be learned.
By now we have examples, where every verb element carries an infix (kanfpìl, tsunslu, kan'ìn etc.)

wm.annis

Quote from: Plumps on April 02, 2012, 01:51:36 PMThis is a bit misleading, I think. Couldn't you say if one element of the compount is non-verbal, everything goes in the verb element (pllngay, pänutìng, kawngsar, emza'u...). If they are two verb elements they simply have to be learned.
By now we have examples, where every verb element carries an infix (kanfpìl, tsunslu, kan'ìn etc.)

That section could definitely be worded better.  It's possible that's been misleading since the October Ultxa, which is a little awkward.

I'm still meditating on how to incorporate the new verb transitivity info, but I hope to have a new version out some time this week.