Na'vi Reference Grammar

Started by wm.annis, August 13, 2010, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchNavi

Quote from: wm.annis on August 16, 2010, 07:37:28 PM
I have enough questions about the proper use of zam and above — accenting, composition — that I've left them out for now.

I do have a correction for section 4.1.2:

1 (1 × 8) vol
16 (2 × 8) mevol
24 (3 × 8) pxevol
etc.

I assume the first number (vol) is 8?

wm.annis

Quote from: DutchNavi on August 17, 2010, 12:39:54 PMI do have a correction for section 4.1.2:

1 (1 × 8) vol
16 (2 × 8) mevol
24 (3 × 8) pxevol
etc.

I assume the first number (vol) is 8?

Yup!  Fixed, and 'eyt and nayn added, too.

Muzer

Typo on page 23, § 5.4.4: kä'ärip (should have ì)
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

wm.annis

Quote from: Muzer on August 21, 2010, 11:53:00 AMTypo on page 23, § 5.4.4: kä'ärip (should have ì)

This and many other matters (mostly small) updated.

'Oma Tirea

I notice you haven't mentioned that the order of the four pre-first infixes (if there is one) still needs to be confirmed, as they can be used with one another.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kì'eyawn

Ma william, krr a ngal leykatem "aylì'ut a'om" rutxe ayoeru piveng.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

wm.annis

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on August 30, 2010, 11:26:35 PM
I notice you haven't mentioned that the order of the four pre-first infixes (if there is one) still needs to be confirmed, as they can be used with one another.

§3.6.2.1, p.16.  :)  Other combinations are so underdeveloped (never really seen in action), that it seems better to simply remain silent about the matter until more is said.

wm.annis

Quote from: tigermind on August 31, 2010, 12:53:20 PMMa william, krr a ngal leykatem "aylì'ut a'om" rutxe ayoeru piveng.

Are you concerned about something in particular?  Any changes in the maroon text will come from Frommer saying something relevant on his blog, or someone posting email from Frommer with an interesting grammatical tidbit (he has a copy of this grammar now, for instance).  Everyone will know what's new before I get a chance to update this document.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on August 31, 2010, 04:22:59 PM
Quote from: tigermind on August 31, 2010, 12:53:20 PMMa william, krr a ngal leykatem "aylì'ut a'om" rutxe ayoeru piveng.

Are you concerned about something in particular?  Any changes in the maroon text will come from Frommer saying something relevant on his blog, or someone posting email from Frommer with an interesting grammatical tidbit (he has a copy of this grammar now, for instance).  Everyone will know what's new before I get a chance to update this document.

I'm interested in any updates, of course; but by main interests that you've highlighted are in 3.3.4-3.3.6 (use of fra-, prefix combos) and 6.18 (conditionals, hypotheticals, counterfactuals...).  The reason i asked is that i might not always get a chance to read every update you make to the grammar, but i want to make sure i get a chance to read any updates that include information added to our knowledge.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Seze

I was reading through the numbers section and noticed that you don't have 0 (kew) listed anywhere, not sure if this was intentional or not.  Great work so far :)...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Seze on September 01, 2010, 12:12:29 PM
I was reading through the numbers section and noticed that you don't have 0 (kew) listed anywhere, not sure if this was intentional or not.  Great work so far :)...

???

Where did that come from?  I've never seen it; how did i miss it?  ::frets::
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Plumps

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Plumps on September 01, 2010, 04:49:09 PM
The big update on time concepts ;)

Huh.  Don't know how i missed that.  Oh well.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

wm.annis

Quote from: Seze on September 01, 2010, 12:12:29 PM
I was reading through the numbers section and noticed that you don't have 0 (kew) listed anywhere, not sure if this was intentional or not. 

The status of kew is a bit off to me (is this an import of a Human idea, rarely used in Na'vi, or native?).  Nonetheless, it's added in 1.06.  A few other minor matters — including one bizarre spelling error — have also been fixed.

Kì'eyawn

Ma William, apologies if i missed it, but did you mention anywhere—or leave room to mention if we don't have an answer yet—whether the interrogatives (peseng/tsengpe, peu/'upe, etc.) take case markers?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Plumps

At least pesenge does as we saw in the example Tok pesengit oeyä pxirìl? here

wm.annis

Quote from: tigermind on September 07, 2010, 12:17:56 AM
Ma William, apologies if i missed it, but did you mention anywhere—or leave room to mention if we don't have an answer yet—whether the interrogatives (peseng/tsengpe, peu/'upe, etc.) take case markers?

Gosh.  It never occurred to me that they might not.  Thank goodness for beer to confirm it.

DutchNavi

Section 2.3.2 is about the infixes ‹er› and ‹ol› combined with frrfen and plltxe respectively.
But what about the infix ‹ay› combined with frrfen, mllte and plltxe?
Do we get fayrrfen, mayllte and paylltxe? These words look a bit odd to me.

Plumps

But totally within the phonological rules, as far as I know ;)

‹er› in frrfen is not possible because of the stress *ferfen would have the stress on the infix. folrrfen on the other hand seems to be ok.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Plumps on September 07, 2010, 03:23:54 AM
At least pesenge does as we saw in the example Tok pesengit oeyä pxirìl? here

HRH XD  Well, that settles it for me, then.  Irayo nìtxan, ma Plumps.

Incidentally, is there an English translation of that interview floating around anywhere?
eo Eywa oe 'ia