Author Topic: Na'vi Reference Grammar  (Read 21417 times)

Offline Vawmataw

• Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
Re: Na'vi Reference Grammar
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2018, 09:45:30 am »
Section 5.1. Derivational Affixes is a bit strange. It states that the affixes are not freely productive unless stated but it is not CLEARLY indicated that some affix is productive (with the exception of 5.1.4.1.).

Also:

Wllìm Today at 10:28 AM
(unrelated: I think there is a typo in §5.1.2.3: it should be ke-YAWR and e-YAWR instead of key-AWR and ey-AWR, so the y should be underlined in the stress marking?)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:50:51 am by Vawmataw »

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Oeri ran lu srung
    • Tirea Aean
Re: Na'vi Reference Grammar
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2018, 11:40:23 am »
EDIT: After drafting this post, I think it is exactly what Vawmataw is talking about anyway. I guess it might serve as a clarification or "I agree" sort of post.

Section 5.1. Derivational Affixes is a bit strange. It states that the affixes are not freely productive unless stated but it is not CLEARLY indicated that some affix is productive (with the exception of 5.1.4.1.).

The first introductory paragraph of 5.1 indeed ends with this statement:
Unless otherwise stated, the affixes below are not freely productive

What that means is, None of them are, unless one of the following subsections declares one to be productive. I suppose what could be done is, for all the subsections that describe a fully productive or semi-productive affix, said subsection could include the word "productive" somehow as and where appropriate. For example,

5.1.2.3. The ke- prefix may be used with root adjectives and participles, in which case the accent
usually shifts to ke-, as in keteng different from teng same, equal and kerusey dead from rusey
living. However, note keyawr incorrect from eyawr correct.

Is this "may be used with" phrasing to say that it's "fully productive with root adjectives and participles"? or is it that we just see it non-productively used with these?

As noted, 5.1.4.1 already does explicitly specify "fully productive" in the manner suggested here:
5.1.4.1. Tì- ‹us› creates a gerund. It is fully productive for verb roots and compounds (si-construction
verbs, §5.3.3, cannot be made into a gerund). This is most useful when a simple tìderivation
already has an established meaning, as in rey live, tìrey life, but tìrusey living. In compounds,
tì- comes at the beginning of the word and ‹us› goes into the verbal element of the
compound, yomtìng becomes tìyomtusìng. See also §6.9.2. Forum (31/1/2013)

Also:

Wllìm Today at 10:28 AM
(unrelated: I think there is a typo in §5.1.2.3: it should be ke-YAWR and e-YAWR instead of key-AWR and ey-AWR, so the y should be underlined in the stress marking?)
Indeed. It's noted as such ([kɛ.'jawr]) in the Official Dictionary PDF

kelku ikranä a hawnventi yom podcast (na'vi-only): https://tirearadio.com/podcast
Learn Na'vi Discord Chat: https://discord.gg/WF6qcmv

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy
| XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, or the Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi