fpeio: Can you use all the published na'vi words in one (grammatical) post?

Started by matthewmartin, December 21, 2009, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewmartin

I wanted to post the idea today, I'll have to post my submission later.

HawkPidgeon

Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

Prrton

Oeri kxawm tsun eltu fmi slä nari si zene fteke nìhawng krrnekx. Ulte, Toktor Frawmmer ayoengru ke srung si txo lì'utìtäftxurenuyä fra'u kxawm ke muiä lu nìwotx, srak?

I-TOP perhaps can brain try(v.) but take care [lit. "eye make/do"] must(v.) so-as-to-not excessively time-take(v.). Also, Dr. Frommer us[inclusive]-DAT NEG help-do(verbal noun) if grammar [lit. "word-weaving-pattern"]-GEN everything perhaps NEG proper COUPULA completely, INTRGTV?

My brain might be capable of trying but I'd have to take care to not spend too much time (on it). Also, if Dr. Frommer doesn't assist us everything may not be correct with the grammar, right?

Payoang

Hello Prrton - welcome!

Man, you are lightyears ahead of everyone else here already. Well, me, at least.

oeri mllte..  pongu ke n<ay>ume txan ke-hu karyu
I agree     people not learning much not-with teacher

I agree.. people can't learn much without a teacher. To a degree at least. Much of what we know is still highly speculative, but at least there is a lot of enthusiasm?

Eywayä mokri

°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Brainiac

Quote from: Prrton on December 22, 2009, 04:00:33 AM
Oeri kxawm tsun eltu fmi slä nari si zene fteke nìhawng krrnekx. Ulte, Toktor Frawmmer ayoengru ke srung si txo lì'utìtäftxurenuyä fra'u kxawm ke muiä lu nìwotx, srak?

I-TOP perhaps can brain try(v.) but take care [lit. "eye make/do"] must(v.) so-as-to-not excessively time-take(v.). Also, Dr. Frommer us[inclusive]-DAT NEG help-do(verbal noun) if grammar [lit. "word-weaving-pattern"]-GEN everything perhaps NEG proper COUPULA completely, INTRGTV?

My brain might be capable of trying but I'd have to take care to not spend too much time (on it). Also, if Dr. Frommer doesn't assist us everything may not be correct with the grammar, right?
Are you the Prrton Dr. Frommer referred to?
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Prrton

Quote from: Prrton on December 22, 2009, 05:52:15 AM

Srane, ma Pìreyniäk (Brainiac). Tsa'u ngay. Toktor Frawmmerl pol'lltxe a tsatu oe leiu. ;) ngari faylì'uyä tìralpeng nì'ìnglìsì kin, srak? Fay'uti ngeyä fya'oìlä ngal mayun'i, srak?

Shall I gloss, or translate? Oeru txoa livu, tsa'u trr alahe layeiu...

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Prrton on December 22, 2009, 05:53:07 AM

Srane, ma Pìreyniäk (Brainiac). Tsa'u ngay. Toktor Frawmmerl pol'lltxe a tsatu oe leiu. ;) ngari faylì'uyä tìralpeng nì'ìnglìsì kin, srak? Fay'uti ngeyä fya'oìlä ngal mayun'i, srak?

Nga plltxe pxel txantslusam karyu.  Oe nayume ngata txo nga mayllte fpi sänume.

Now because I am not so learned, I'll say the rest in english. :)  You do seem quite proud that he addressed you so favorably, though.

I was able to make out most of that, but a few things escaped me.  I'm a little confused by nì'ìnglìsì, I'm not sure I've seen a noun or proper noun with the nì prefix so am not sure what to make of that.  I can guess the menaing but just not sure the part of speech it fills.  Livu seems to use the iv as the tense in lu - is that future proximate tense? 

Another day is perfectly fine by me, and I look forward to it as well. :)

Na'viri txan tìtxantslusam ngal nume fyape?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Brainiac

could you run that by me in English? Or at least the grammatical translation? I'm not good enough to fully understand anything after your first few sentences.

Seze

Quote from: Tiger on December 22, 2009, 06:44:38 AM

Nga plltxe pxel txantslusam karyu.  Oe nayume ngata txo nga mayllte fpi sänume.

Now because I am not so learned, I'll say the rest in english. :)  You do seem quite proud that he addressed you so favorably, though.

I was able to make out most of that, but a few things escaped me.  I'm a little confused by nì'ìnglìsì, I'm not sure I've seen a noun or proper noun with the nì prefix so am not sure what to make of that.  I can guess the menaing but just not sure the part of speech it fills.  Livu seems to use the iv as the tense in lu - is that future proximate tense? 

Another day is perfectly fine by me, and I look forward to it as well. :)

Na'viri txan tìtxantslusam ngal nume fyape?

nì-`ìnglìsì is "in English".  There is an example of this over in the Na'vi Corpus thread (also listed below), but it references the Na'vi language instead of English. 

Tsun oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo a fì'u oeru prrte' lu
It's a pleasure to be able to chat with you in Na'vi

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

wisnij

Quote from: Prrton on December 22, 2009, 04:00:33 AM

Kaltxì, ma Prrton.  Toktor Frawmer'l ayoengri lahea aylì'uti zamunge eokrr, ayoeng nume fermi.  Ayoeng ke nìltsan paylltxe, ayeveng na.  Slä fmi nìltsan lu. :)

Welcome, Pttron-VOC. Dr. Frommer-A 1PL-DAT other-ADJ PL-word-P bring before-time, 1PL learn try-IMPV.  1PL not well speak-FUT, child-PL like.  But try good is.

Welcome, Prrton.  Before Dr. Frommer teaches us more words, we're trying to learn.  We will make mistakes, as children do.  But trying itself is good.

(The usual caveats about assuming how complex sentences work apply here.)
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Brainiac on December 22, 2009, 07:08:58 AM

could you run that by me in English? Or at least the grammatical translation? I'm not good enough to fully understand anything after your first few sentences.

Let me try my hand here, and Prrton can correct me if I'm way off. :)

Yes, Brainiac.  That was me.  I was the person Dr Frommer spoke with. ;) You need the translation in English?  With these things you find your way, right?

Shall I gloss, or translate? Forgive me, that will be another day...

I can give it a little more literally if you wish, but as he said, with these things you find your way.  Now you know what it's saying, you get to figure out why it's saying that. :)

The only word I'm not 100% sure on now (Irayo, ma Seze. I hadn't even noticed that was nìNa'vi, I think I saw someone incorrectly transcribe it as mi somewhere) is livu, which contextually seems to be future proximate.  I'd love to know where Prrton got that from though.

Txur’Itan

Swotu Utral Aymokriyä fpe' plltxe pizayu fìtsenge!

Txen, Eywa ngahu!

Sa'nok, Mo'at si hiyìk iri'koi si Swotu Utral Aymokriyä, Eywa plltxe fa fìtsenge Gaia plltxe kä srak?

Fyape, tomo'ite!

Oeng pawm peyfa!

私は太った男だ。

Brainiac

Quote from: umängam fra'uti on December 22, 2009, 02:01:59 PM
Quote from: Brainiac on December 22, 2009, 07:08:58 AM

Let me try my hand here, and Prrton can correct me if I'm way off. :)

Yes, Brainiac.  That was me.  I was the person Dr Frommer spoke with. ;) You need the translation in English?  With these things you find your way, right?

Shall I gloss, or translate? Forgive me, that will be another day...

I can give it a little more literally if you wish, but as he said, with these things you find your way.  Now you know what it's saying, you get to figure out why it's saying that. :)

The only word I'm not 100% sure on now (Irayo, ma Seze. I hadn't even noticed that was nìNa'vi, I think I saw someone incorrectly transcribe it as mi somewhere) is livu, which contextually seems to be future proximate.  I'd love to know where Prrton got that from though.

Irayo ma umängam fra'uti (what the hell kind of nickname is that, anyway? Isn't that really negative?). Pronouncing works just fine for me, but translating from and to is still difficult.

omängum fra'uti

Yes it is negative, that's the point.  It's like when someone calls you a know-it-all, and they don't mean that you're smart.  I've been called that many times elsewhere, so I figured I'd just get it over with and call myself that in Na'vi here. :)  umam fra'uti would just make me sound like I had all the answers, or sound stuck up like I believed I had all the answers.

I considered making it fratìumängam to turn it into a noun, but I have no clue how much sense that actually makes putting äng into a noun (Even if it is a noun made out of a verb).  Besides, I'd probably read that as "all-bad-knowledge"... Which I guess could work too.

Brainiac

Quote from: umängam fra'uti on December 23, 2009, 03:54:39 AM
Yes it is negative, that's the point.  It's like when someone calls you a know-it-all, and they don't mean that you're smart.  I've been called that many times elsewhere, so I figured I'd just get it over with and call myself that in Na'vi here. :)  umam fra'uti would just make me sound like I had all the answers, or sound stuck up like I believed I had all the answers.

I considered making it fratìumängam to turn it into a noun, but I have no clue how much sense that actually makes putting äng into a noun (Even if it is a noun made out of a verb).  Besides, I'd probably read that as "all-bad-knowledge"... Which I guess could work too.
I misread fra'u as everyone, not everything :)
So I thought you meant you knew everyone here and hated it ^_^

omängum fra'uti

Woah woah slow down, this isn't the insult thread!
:)

Ok yeah that would be a bit negative if that's actually what it said.

Brainiac

Quote from: umängam fra'uti on December 23, 2009, 04:17:48 AM
Woah woah slow down, this isn't the insult thread!
:)

Ok yeah that would be a bit negative if that's actually what it said.
That's why I was so shocked  ;D