Neytiri talking to viperwolf

Started by Will Txankamuse, January 22, 2010, 11:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suomichris

I hear, in very rough Na'vi phonemics that I made up:

[ah?] vreptep (and then) rah! (?f/)preysiawt(u?)

I don't know that that is very helpful, though...

Will Txankamuse

are these na'vi words from the movie being collated anywhere by anyone?  It would be good to have them ready in case Fox decides not to subtitle the Na'vi-only parts of the movie when the DVD is released - I've seen a few in other threads but might be an idea to collate them somewhere...?

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

roger

The subtitles are posted various places online. I think they don't want them here due to copyright issues.

Look for the US version. It's much truer to the Na'vi than the UK version.

Will Txankamuse

I mean Na'vi subtitles to the Na'vi only words - so places where there are no subtitles at all e.g. Jake's first meeting with Neytiri

also it would be good to have Na'vi subtitles for all the times people speak Na'vi (rather than English subtitles)

Will

omängum fra'uti

Some of the lines it's tough to understand exactly what they are saying, especially for a non fluent speaker.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

roger

Quote from: suomichris on January 23, 2010, 01:54:02 AM

Found the Spanish dub. The Na'vi is much cleaner here, and it's clearly fayvrrtep and faysawtute.

suomichris

Quote from: roger on January 24, 2010, 06:11:53 AM
Quote from: suomichris on January 23, 2010, 01:54:02 AM

Found the Spanish dub. The Na'vi is much cleaner here, and it's clearly fayvrrtep and faysawtute.
Nice...  I saw Avatar (in 3D!) last night, and listened especially to this phrase again, and that was what I was leaning towards, but it was still pretty unclear.  (I wish some software program had a "remove jungle noises" feature :p)

kewnya txamew'itan

If you can get a clip of some jungle noise (preferably the same jungle) you can use audacity's noise reduction function.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

suomichris

Quote from: kawngä mungeyu on January 24, 2010, 01:20:58 PM
If you can get a clip of some jungle noise (preferably the same jungle) you can use audacity's noise reduction function.
Yeah, I did that with this clip actually; I meant more something that would specifically remove, say, monkeys screeching versus anything else.  The problem with noise reduction (from a linguistic perspective) is that it basically removes sounds based entirely on frequency, so if you try to noise-reduce something that is in the range of human vocalizations, you also lose some of the information about the speech.  It isn't often an issue if you're just listening, but you can't noise-reduce something and then do any kind of phonetic analysis on it :(

Have worked with audio from Mexico, I can also attest that having the ability to remove donkeys braying and roosters crowing would be useful....

roger

To recap, here is a local consensus on the lines that don't have subtitles. "(ng)a" not yet clear. I haven't bothered to follow the reps literally.

Fayvrrtep!

Faysawtute! [douses the torch]

Oeru txoa livu,
ma oeyä tsmukan.

Hu nawma sa'nok tivul ngeyä tirea.

Ha! Faysawtute!

Kehe!

Ftang (ng)a! [when Jake flicks away the atokirina']

Rutxe.

Atokirina'.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: roger on January 24, 2010, 06:47:03 PM
To recap, here is a local consensus on the lines that don't have subtitles. "(ng)a" not yet clear. I haven't bothered to follow the reps literally.

Fayvrrtep!

Faysawtute! [douses the torch]

Oeru txoa livu,
ma oeyä tsmukan.

Hu nawma sa'nok tivul ngeyä tirea.

Ha! Faysawtute!

Kehe!

Ftang (ng)a! [when Jake flicks away the atokirina']

Rutxe.

Atokirina'.

Nice, that's really helpful.

Will Txankamuse

maybe it's just me, but I'm hearing txep not tep as the last syllable of the thing Neytiri says when she throws away the fire.  Txep = Fire.  Can't make out the first two sylables though, it just sounds like a harder T than just a t.

Will

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Will Txankamuse on January 24, 2010, 10:37:39 PM
maybe it's just me, but I'm hearing txep not tep as the last syllable of the thing Neytiri says when she throws away the fire.  Txep = Fire.  Can't make out the first two sylables though, it just sounds like a harder T than just a t.

Will

I agree with this but it doesn't make much sense. Perhaps she's blending demon (vrrtep) and fire (txep) saying "demon fire"? I dunno.

roger

See above. It's not clear in the English or German versions, but is crystal clear in the Spanish, and they're all reading off the same script. In the Spanish dub, though, she actually finishes the 2nd line, whereas she's cut off in the English and German dub.

Will Txankamuse

let's hope the bluray comes with Na'vi subtitles for all the Na'vi dialog...  or at least when James Cameron publishes his Avatar novel, the original Na'vi words are in there.

Will

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Lets hope Cameron's book is in full Na'vi with translation in the back.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it