Omaticaya and the flute

Started by Vawmataw, August 17, 2016, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

That popped into my mind. Considering that several names (like plants and some locations) derive from Na'vi words, I was wondering if the word Omaticaya does too.
It will even isolate or predict the word flute from ''Blue Flute Clan'' (Omatikaya) if it is true.

I assume that, similarily to the humans, Na'vi can deform words from their original root (even to the point that they look different).
So, I think that if I do the spliting and go back to the roots of each part, I will get something like:

Olo' matik aean
Olo' matika ean
Olo' matikä (a)ean (too grammatical, sorry)
or something else similar

As for olo', the stress is on the lo' part, but lo' is clearly omited. Would it be a ''mistake'' made by the Na'vi or my theory falling apart?
As for matik or matika, it's an hypothetical, unconfirmed word. It could be longer, shorter or even slightly different in Modern Na'vi. It is a prediction of the word flute.
As for (a)ean, that would be a case of distorting words. When you pronounce the e too quickly, it may sound like a y. Add to that the dropped letters, probably because of the law of the smallest effort.

What do you think?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

It could be as well omatik aean, for blue flute. No need to add olo'?

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 18, 2016, 02:17:59 AM
https://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/etymology-of-'omaticaya'/
^according that old thread, there could be interesting ways.
olo'mate'eankaya seems wrong. ma and te don't make sense in this context.

The ASG, even with its erroneous Na'vi, may contain a part of the answer.
omati s'ampta: [omati sʔampta] SG n. blue flute

Tìtstewan

I think, Omatikaya has no real etymology and could be just a name with the meaning blue flute.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Vawmataw

So it would mean that omatikaya is both a noun and a name?

Tìtstewan

It's a name. And as a name, it is also a noun. Omatikaya's etymology could be a product of a very ancient form of Na'vi. However, we don't know. :-\

Blue Elf

seriously, based on our dictionary, "Clan of blue flute" should contains some form of olo' (clan) and ean (blue (or green or mix of these :)))
It doesn't contain, so best explanation could "it comes from ASG", where we can find various nonsences. But it doesn't - dictionary says, that source of this word is JC. So most probably word was incorporated into language before olo' and ean was known and later it wasn't taken into account. Let's take it as word from ancient ages, when words were different from those used now.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)