Stacking prefix and sufixes

Started by Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan, February 23, 2010, 09:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Someone brought to me a very simple question in the TeamSpeak server yesterday. How do you say: "I show you my bow and arrow". At first it looked simple and then I happened to get stuck on two things. First, I'm pretty sure that "to show" is a transitive verb which means that you need the accusative and ergative particles. It's not hard to get to "I show you a bow" but how would you say that it is MY bow? Adding the the genitive suffix to oel seams to be the shorter way but is it correct? Where would it goes, after of before the accusative? Also, how would you say "my bow AND arrow"? Do you put the ergative suffix to both words?
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Hawnuyu atxen

You may add two "oe"s with the genitive (if it's even necessary...) (the bow and arrow are mine, not i'm their!)... my other thought is that it's maybe the time to use the topic-marker...

Or not... i think this is good, but it certainly needs someone more experienced than me to tell (i make to many mistakes...)
Oel ngaru wìntxu oeyä tskoti sì (oeyä) swizawit.
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on February 23, 2010, 10:02:10 AM

That could solve the issue of stacking the accusative and genitive. How about the multiple ergative? Can we really do that or the second one is implied by "sì"?
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Hawnuyu atxen

That's something i don't really know... for now i'd say that the "sì" makes the second one unnecessary... but that's just my opinion...
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: Kawazoe on February 23, 2010, 10:07:11 AM

That could solve the issue of stacking the accusative and genitive. How about the multiple ergative? Can we really do that or the second one is implied by "sì"?

I would do this:  Oel ngaru wìntxu tskoti swizawitsì oeyä.

Both still need case endings.

(Adapted from Dr. Frommers: aylì'ut horentisì lì'fyayä leNa'vi. and 'eylan karyusì ayngeyä)

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Keylstxatsmen on February 23, 2010, 12:02:17 PM
Quote from: Kawazoe on February 23, 2010, 10:07:11 AM

I would do this:  Oel ngaru wìntxu tskoti swizawitsì oeyä.

Both still need case endings.

(Adapted from Dr. Frommers: aylì'ut horentisì lì'fyayä leNa'vi. and 'eylan karyusì ayngeyä)

-Keyl

Ooh, hey, notice that horentisì = PL+koren-ti-sì.  This is a perfect example of why nouns that end in consonants might nonetheless take the -ti form of the accusative marker.

Sorry if i'm the only one here who thinks that's cool =P
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

roger

Quote from: tigermind on February 23, 2010, 05:46:19 PM
Ooh, hey, notice that horentisì = PL+koren-ti-sì.  This is a perfect example of why nouns that end in consonants might nonetheless take the -ti form of the accusative marker.

Sorry if i'm the only one here who thinks that's cool =P

Yeah, it isn't actually required (you could have horenitsì), but I agree that is seems more understandable. And voila, we actually have a contrast w -t in the same phrase.

Plumps

Oh my gosh, I never noticed that before... That will confuse people even more :P