More stuff for the noobs

Started by Skxawng, February 17, 2010, 11:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skxawng

Had the idea to make a flowchart for inflecting verbs, and for changing word types. Probably needs some correction, and I'd be real appreciative if y'all would have a look over this and tell me if I've lived up to my namesake :P

I'll fix stuff before posting it in the beginner section.

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

kxanì tsamsiyu

This is a Great idea. I wish i couple help and point out things that are wrong but i am still a Newbie to Na'vi Despite having quite a few posts. College has posponed my learning.  >:(
This would definatly help my Studies of Na'vi so this would be a HUGE help.

Irayo

Eywa Ngahu

Nyx

Did you just use the word "verb" as a verb in an attempt to teach grammar? ;D

I might return with more constructive feedback when my head has recovered from the exam I just took. I like the look of this though ^^

C'tri Atan'itan

speaking as a newbie, I find it easier to follow the top chart than the second :)
(though some more information/ explanation on the chart + maybe some case examples  :))

~C'tri
Unil'ite: Keye'ung! \0/
Oe: FÌTSENG LU PANDORAAAAAA

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Skxawng

The second one is a little bit more complex than the first :P

That said I'm working on a way to simplify and smooth the flow.

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Will Txankamuse

I like it.  One suggestion for the first would be to represent this in a different way.  Perhaps having three circles each one representing the base grammar types with arrows linking them annotated with the thing to do to move between them...

well they say a picture says a 1000 words but mine probably says around 3 words since I'm very very bad with paint but here goes:

:)

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

NeotrekkerZ

Under the "Hypothetical" box, if you were to answer "no" you could also have <ol> have verbed.  

Regarding the use of <ilv>, I think the past subjunctive is "had verbed."  E.g. Txo oe kilvä ne Kelutral...

Other than that, I like it.  Very clear.  And your word type flowchart is awesome.

EDIT:  Maybe a box for combing a verb with a modal?
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

wm.annis

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on February 18, 2010, 08:45:06 PMRegarding the use of <ilv>, I think the past subjunctive is "had verbed."

But ‹ilv› is not the past subjunctive.  It is the perfective subjunctive — a different beast (even if it's hard to make that distinction clear in normal English).

NeotrekkerZ

Like I said, a bit fuzzy there.  Do we have an infix for my sentence above? 
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

wm.annis

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on February 18, 2010, 08:57:33 PMLike I said, a bit fuzzy there.  Do we have an infix for my sentence above? 

Your clause is the condition part of a past contrary-to-fact condition.  I have no clue how that'll work in Na'vi right now.

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Skxawng on February 18, 2010, 03:36:57 PM
The second one is a little bit more complex than the first :P

That said I'm working on a way to simplify and smooth the flow.

It might be a bit more complex, but the commentary makes it infinitely more fun to use than the first. Definitely going in my Big Ol' Book O' Na'vi Stuff.

Irayo,

Kayrìlien

Erimeyz

I really like the hand-drawn look.

Really, really, like it.