The naming of cats....

Started by omängum fra'uti, August 02, 2010, 03:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

Palukantsyìpä tstxori lu ngäzìka txele
Nì'aw kea uvan ftxozäyä ke lu
Ngal fpivatsìl futa lekye'ung tawtutena lu oe
Krr a ngaru peng san lu pxestxo ateng foru

So....  I had a lonely cat and made the mistake of going to the shelter for a weekend event...  And came home with a new kitten.  Now this kitten needs a name...  I thought it would be fun to name him in Na'vi, but I am being very uninspired.  Right now the name that he is most likely to end up with is not Na'vi (Though it IS a good name.)

Since I am being particularly uninspired, I thought I would turn to all of you skilled Na'vi speakers for inspiration.  Anyone have any bright ideas?

Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Muzer

Cat names have to have their stress on an "oh" or "ee" sound (Na'vi "o" or "i"), as it needs to carry well when you call them.

The only suitable one I could find was "palki" (kemeoauniaea's abbreviation of "palulukan"), so that's what my kitten is named ;)
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Taronyu

Well. I would call him Ngima Kxetse.(or Kxetse for short.) He seems to have a long one. :D

Cute.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on August 02, 2010, 03:02:28 PM
Palukantsyìpä tstxori lu ngäzìka txele
Nì'aw kea uvan ftxozäyä ke lu
Ngal fpivatsìl futa lekye'ung tawtutena lu oe
Krr a ngaru peng san lu pxestxo ateng foru

So....  I had a lonely cat and made the mistake of going to the shelter for a weekend event...  And came home with a new kitten.  Now this kitten needs a name...  I thought it would be fun to name him in Na'vi, but I am being very uninspired.  Right now the name that he is most likely to end up with is not Na'vi (Though it IS a good name.)

Since I am being particularly uninspired, I thought I would turn to all of you skilled Na'vi speakers for inspiration.  Anyone have any bright ideas?

Hmm, well it was suggested on Facebook to name him "Palulukantsyìp," which I like. Another name I can think of is Tulyu Awin. Yes, I know that doesn't have the all the stresses and stuff mentioned in Muzer's post, but I'm going off of traits about the cat. My 2 cents.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Muzer

"Tulyu Awin" sounds OK to me as far as stress is concerned - as it will probably be pronounced "Tulyu Awin", and you could easily stress the "win" syllable when calling him, which has the "i" sound you need.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Unilking

Totally off the naming topic - sorry! - but that cat (white coat and odd-coloured eyes) probably has some Turkish in his background. See the entry on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Van

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

omängum fra'uti

My cats already both get called palukantsyìp (Using the colloquial shorter form of palulukan) so that doesn't work as a name really.  Tulyu Awain and Ngima Kxetse certainly describe him well.  (When he's meat loafed, his tail curls all the way around to his front paws.)

Keep them coming!

Quote from: Unilking on August 02, 2010, 03:28:55 PM
Totally off the naming topic - sorry! - but that cat (white coat and odd-coloured eyes) probably has some Turkish in his background. See the entry on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Van
The body and head shape does not seem right for a Turkish Van...  Perhaps closer to turkish angora...  But odd-eyes and white coats are hardly unique to one breed.  Besides the Turkish, it is also very popular (And hence bred for) in the Japanese Bobtail breed, though it is common in other breeds as well, and really any solid white cat has a chance to be odd eye, as the same gene causes both.  (It also can cause a high occurrence of deafness, though he is definitely not deaf.)  Siamese/oriental origins could certainly explain both traits as well.  However, the texture of his coat and feel of his body is very reminiscent of siamese, though his face is not quite so pointed.

Plumps

Awwww, falulukantsyìp sunu oer nìtxan :)

Hm, how about:

Sre' aPxi ??? Or a variation of it (Sre'pxi, Pxisre' ...)

Maweyatan

QuoteSre' aPxi  Or a variation of it (Sre'pxi, Pxisre' ...)

I like the way Pxisre' sounds.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I look at that cat and I'm getting a "Loraney" name vibe. No particular meaning but it seems like it'd fit ok.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Ftiafpi

Some names I thought of:

Lora
Txìm
Txìmtsyìp
Prrte'
Vrrtep
Skxawng
Taronyu

Skyinou

Nariyìk
(combination of nari and hiyìk, shortened because long name are not good, and without adding a "a" to bind the ADJ because it would be is too much)
Let's rock with The Tanners!

omängum fra'uti

Thanks for the help everyone!

Unfortunately, the leading non-Na'vi name is a very strong contender, so it would have taken a really good name to beat it out.  And none of the suggestions here (Or any I was able to come up with myself) quite were able to fit the bill.  There were some great suggestions, but none were quite him, if you know what I mean.

wm.annis

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on August 03, 2010, 06:21:38 PM
There were some great suggestions, but none were quite him, if you know what I mean.

And what name was him?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It looks like you may already have a name. But after having just spent the weekend with every imaginable form of cat, and watching your video, I am going to suggest teyra tirea Lots of things you can do with these two words...

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Skxawng

This might be a bit late but I doubt it; it took me 3 months to name one of my cats.

Wokakxa
Wxawok
Layontu
Teyrkxitx
Heknari
winsyokx
Sima

oe sìlpey a ngeyä palulukantsyìpru teya tìrey alefpom lu. :3 tìng ayoeru lesung ayrel ma omängam!!

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"