Learn Na'vi > Intermediate

The prefix em-

<< < (3/6) > >>

Toliman:

--- Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on September 24, 2018, 06:21:59 am ---I just reread the post where Pawl introduced emkä and it doesn't seem to indicate anywhere that it is a compound of emza'u and kä, he merely points out that the shift from intransitive (kä) to transitve (emkä) is similar to za'u and emza'u.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I think it too.

Mech:
I will continue tracking for possible obscure etymologies :)

tsngan and tsngem seem to be related, considering their similar meaning.

i discovered 2 verbs that mean "shoot": tem and toltem. I am not sure if they have a semantic difference. The latter is obviously derived from the former, and tol- is either a part of another compounded word or another obscure prefix.

Also there seems to be a s- prefix seen in
lu "be" -> slu "become"
teng "same" -> steng "similar"

Tirea Aean:
Ive noticed all those too. I don't believe we have any confirmation on any of this or what the missing etymology is.

Did you also notice -'o suffix? it seems to be the weakest part of any word as it is the first thing to be weakened or go away during derivatives:

fya'o => fìfya tsafya pefya/fyape, reyfya, yo'kofya --fya etc.
tsu'o => tsun?? , keltsun, tsunslu, stawmtswo, --tswo, etc.
sä'o => sänume, säspxin, säfpìl, sä-- etc.

Mech:
I gain a perverted pleasure when I see "between the lines" and I am able to extrapolate such details. :D

It would be interesting to compile a list of obscure/possible elements that can be extrapolated or indirectly attested. We could then point them out to KP or use them in LEP.

Tirea Aean:

--- Quote from: Mech on October 05, 2018, 09:02:33 am ---I gain a perverted pleasure when I see "between the lines" and I am able to extrapolate such details. :D

It would be interesting to compile a list of obscure/possible elements that can be extrapolated or indirectly attested. We could then point them out to KP or use them in LEP.

--- End quote ---

I love etymology too! I love how compounds and derived words work in Na'vi. :D

I agree it's worth our time to compile such a list of obscure derivations and submit it for consideration/confirmation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version