The prefix em-

Started by Mech, September 20, 2018, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mech

Tirea noticed (and made me notice) the strange verbs sulìn and vrrìn

Obviously they include the elements *sul, *vrr and -ìn

Tirea traced the element *sul in the words pxasul and sosul and obviously has the meaning of "pleasant"

*vrr seems to have the meaning of "unpleasant" but it hasn't produced any compounds, except perhaps vrrtep.

Eana Unil

Yeah I wonder from what sul and vrr derive from, like what is their etymology? 'ìn btw is a verb, meaning "be busy, be occupied".
Would be great if KP gave us some behind the scenes info about this, but I doubt that it would happen  :-\

Toliman

Quote from: Mech on February 06, 2019, 03:27:07 AM
Tirea noticed (and made me notice) the strange verbs sulìn and vrrìn

Obviously they include the elements *sul, *vrr and -ìn

Tirea traced the element *sul in the words pxasul and sosul and obviously has the meaning of "pleasant"

*vrr seems to have the meaning of "unpleasant" but it hasn't produced any compounds, except perhaps vrrtep.

Yeah, this is interesting idea, I thought something similar about it too.

Plumps

I had a little insight into the creation of that from my work on the LEP.

I can tell you that the sul- element of sulìn comes from pxasul and vrr- is a distant cousin of the element in vrrtep of course. But what they exactly mean, I cannot say. Somethimes these elements don't have a meaning on their own but rather convey an overall feeling.

That's my take on it, at least ;)

Toliman

Eana Unil

Quote from: Plumps on February 06, 2019, 01:40:33 PM

I can tell you that the sul- element of sulìn comes from pxasul and vrr- is a distant cousin of the element in vrrtep of course. But what they exactly mean, I cannot say. Somethimes these elements don't have a meaning on their own but rather convey an overall feeling.

Thanks for this insight, it is indeed interesting!

Makes perfect sense, tho. Na'vi seem to love words that convey not only a meaning, but also a certain sound or feeling. Take ue' for example, or rou ;D
Sul sounds smooth and soft, whereas vrr sounds kinda raspy and agitating.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Plumps on February 06, 2019, 01:40:33 PM

Ah, this is what I had suspected. :D tìoeyktìngìri irayo ma tsmuk.

Quote from: Eana Unil on February 06, 2019, 02:52:45 PM
Thanks for this insight, it is indeed interesting!

Makes perfect sense, tho. Na'vi seem to love words that convey not only a meaning, but also a certain sound or feeling. Take ue' for example, or rou ;D
Sul sounds smooth and soft, whereas vrr sounds kinda raspy and agitating.

Mllte oe. I love this about the language. Words that have passed LEP have been outstanding in how they so well seem to capture and represent their meaning. It begins to feel like Na'vi language is master language and these are True Words for certain things ;D ;D

Mech

This is somehow how Tolkien wored with his languages. He made up a "beautiful" name for his characters or locations, then tried to make a meaning out of it and imagine some meaning and etymology in the Elvish proto-language, and possible cognates in the other elvish languages (Quenya vs. Sindarin).

Thus he established an inventory of etymological roots from which he derived more words and names with an internal self-consistency.

Melìsa

Kaltxì Oel Ayngati Kameie Oeru syaw Melìsa I love and respect the Na'vi
Oe tawtute lu