Learn Na'vi > Intermediate

The prefix em-

<< < (6/6)

Eana Unil:

--- Quote from: Plumps on February 06, 2019, 01:40:33 pm ---I had a little insight into the creation of that from my work on the LEP.

I can tell you that the sul- element of sulìn comes from pxasul and vrr- is a distant cousin of the element in vrrtep of course. But what they exactly mean, I cannot say. Somethimes these elements don’t have a meaning on their own but rather convey an overall feeling.

That’s my take on it, at least ;)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this insight, it is indeed interesting!

Makes perfect sense, tho. Na'vi seem to love words that convey not only a meaning, but also a certain sound or feeling. Take ue' for example, or rou ;D
Sul sounds smooth and soft, whereas vrr sounds kinda raspy and agitating.

Tirea Aean:

--- Quote from: Plumps on February 06, 2019, 01:40:33 pm ---I had a little insight into the creation of that from my work on the LEP.

I can tell you that the sul- element of sulìn comes from pxasul and vrr- is a distant cousin of the element in vrrtep of course. But what they exactly mean, I cannot say. Somethimes these elements don’t have a meaning on their own but rather convey an overall feeling.

That’s my take on it, at least ;)

--- End quote ---

Ah, this is what I had suspected. :D tìoeyktìngìri irayo ma tsmuk.

--- Quote from: Eana Unil on February 06, 2019, 02:52:45 pm ---Thanks for this insight, it is indeed interesting!

Makes perfect sense, tho. Na'vi seem to love words that convey not only a meaning, but also a certain sound or feeling. Take ue' for example, or rou ;D
Sul sounds smooth and soft, whereas vrr sounds kinda raspy and agitating.

--- End quote ---

Mllte oe. I love this about the language. Words that have passed LEP have been outstanding in how they so well seem to capture and represent their meaning. It begins to feel like Na'vi language is master language and these are True Words for certain things ;D ;D

Mech:
This is somehow how Tolkien wored with his languages. He made up a "beautiful" name for his characters or locations, then tried to make a meaning out of it and imagine some meaning and etymology in the Elvish proto-language, and possible cognates in the other elvish languages (Quenya vs. Sindarin).

Thus he established an inventory of etymological roots from which he derived more words and names with an internal self-consistency.

Melìsa:
ah :) irayo ma Eana ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version