Translation Help, please?

Started by Eana Ketuwong, July 26, 2011, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Ketuwong

Kaltxì! So I've, regrettably, been away from nìNa'vi lìfya for a little while, for my own personal reasons. And with that said:
I kind of need some help with some rather easy translations. I've tried it, but I know it's not right :(

If anybody could please HELP with translations, it would be MUCH APPRECIATED! And I'll give you a unicorn :3

1. We are all here to help, so if you need it, please contact me and I will be happy.

2. I am in shock; I cannot believe you would do this!

That's pretty much it :) Thank you so much...like I said, rather easy translations, but my knowledge is dimming and I'm relearning the language!

Irayo, irayo, irayo,
Eana Ketuwong
Tumbling hard until 3 AM on a Wednesday night

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

There might be mistakes in there, but here is my try for your two sentences. :)

1. We are all here to help, so if you need it, please contact me and I will be happy.

Ayoeng nìwotx leiyu fìtsenge srung sivi, ha txo kin ngal tsat, rutxe fpive' 'upxaret oeru ulte nitram layu.

Leyayayr nìtxan längu; ke tsun spivaw futa kem sami nga tsaru!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eana Ketuwong on July 26, 2011, 05:29:17 PM

1. ayoel nìwotx tok fìtsengit fte srung sivi ha txo tsat ngal kin rutxe oeru piveng ulte oe srung sivi nìprrte'.

2. Oeri txe'lan ftìmängang. fìkem siv(äng)i nga a fì'ut oe ke tsun spivaw.

(I assume 2. was speaking more like disgust: UGH I cannot BELIVEE you would do this! >:( instead of AWWW I cant believe you wold do this! how sweet? You were kind unclear, so I made anothe assumption there. ;))

EDIT: thx for the ninja post, passionate heart... :P :P :P :P :P

Alyara Arati

Ninja'd.  I had:

Ayoe nìwotx new srung sivi ngaru; ha txo ngal kivin tsasrungit, rutxe fì'ut oeru peng ngal ulte oe 'ayefu nitram.

(Ftxavanga's idea seems good to me.)  Ke tsun oe spivaw futa nga fìkem sivi!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Alyara Arati on July 26, 2011, 06:08:55 PM
Ninja'd.  I had:

Ayoe nìwotx new srung sivi ngaru; ha txo ngal kivin tsasrungit, rutxe fì'ut oeru peng ngal ulte oe 'ayefu nitram.

(Ftxavanga's idea seems good to me.)  Ke tsun oe spivaw futa nga fìkem sivi!

dang! Nice one! These would be my 2nd choice of how to say these.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 26, 2011, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Eana Ketuwong on July 26, 2011, 05:29:17 PM

1. ayoel nìwotx tok fìtsengit fte srung sivi ha txo tsat ngal kin rutxe oeru piveng ulte oe srung sivi nìprrte'.

2. Oeri txe'lan ftìmängang. fìkem siv(äng)i nga a fì'ut oe ke tsun spivaw.

(I assume 2. was speaking more like disgust: UGH I cannot BELIVEE you would do this! >:( instead of AWWW I cant believe you wold do this! how sweet? You were kind unclear, so I made anothe assumption there. ;))

EDIT: thx for the ninja post, passionate heart... :P :P :P :P :P

Oh yeees, that's right, tok for location! ;D As for Oeri txe'lan ftìmängang, I find the idea quite awesome. :) Sorry about the ninja'ing. hihi :3

Ma Alyara, your translations are quite great, too! :D It's interesting to see a new take on the sentences. :) I'm wondering: you both used fìkem si in the second sentence, is the meaning of that do this thing? ??? I've never used it before, but it seems like a nice and regularly used alternative to the kem si is used. :)

Tirea Aean

it's because (to me) it makes more sense than:

kem si tsa'ur

that just sounds weird to me. ;) Why say that when you can say:

tsakem si

and the reason I used fìkem si is because the original English said "[...]do this!" instead of do that.

Honesty, I cannot seem to think of many times where I would use "kem si"...

Eana Ketuwong

Ah, so much Ninja'ing...but that's alright!
Irayo everybody for the help :) Means a lot! I will give you credit as to where I'm posting it! :)

Again, BIG HUGS TO EVERYBODY AS PROMISED and BIG IRAYOS!
Tumbling hard until 3 AM on a Wednesday night

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eana Ketuwong on July 26, 2011, 10:48:10 PM
Ah, so much Ninja'ing...but that's alright!
Irayo everybody for the help :) Means a lot! I will give you credit as to where I'm posting it! :)

Again, BIG HUGS TO EVERYBODY AS PROMISED and BIG IRAYOS!

LoL it means we are all cruel beasts hungering competing to help out anyone we can, before all the others can get the chance ;D ;D :P

Plumps

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on July 26, 2011, 05:50:32 PM
Leyayayr nìtxan längu...

'I am confused' is lu oeru yayayr (lit.: I have confusion) ha, yayayr längu oeru nìtxan

Tsalsungay, txantsana aysäfpìl!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 26, 2011, 10:26:51 PM
it's because (to me) it makes more sense than:

kem si tsa'ur

that just sounds weird to me. ;) Why say that when you can say:

tsakem si

and the reason I used fìkem si is because the original English said "[...]do this!" instead of do that.

Honesty, I cannot seem to think of many times where I would use "kem si"...

Great, irayo for the explanation! :D

Quote from: Plumps on July 27, 2011, 02:55:02 AM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on July 26, 2011, 05:50:32 PM
Leyayayr nìtxan längu...

'I am confused' is lu oeru yayayr (lit.: I have confusion) ha, yayayr längu oeru nìtxan

Ooh, it does sound much better that way! ;D Besides, you didn't have to create any word, which is good. :) Did Karyu Pawl write this on his blog, or was it simply the logical way for you to put it? Also, I'm a bit confused regarding the second sentence. :-[ Is its literal meaning "There is much confusion to me"? I'm not too sure since längu isn't the first word, but is it possible that it makes there is even in that position? :)

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

Plumps

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on July 27, 2011, 06:21:00 AM
Also, I'm a bit confused regarding the second sentence. :-[ Is its literal meaning "There is much confusion to me"? I'm not too sure since längu isn't the first word, but is it possible that it makes there is even in that position? :)

I think it's valid to say that in the translation, yes. Our template for 'X has Y' was always lu X-ru Y but I think the lu + dative makes it clear that it's the idiom for 'have' leaving the relative free word order to do the trick.
About the 'there' part I'm not sure. I always felt that it is added to make it more plausible for English speakers instead of just 'is/are' and not make it sound like a question. Does it have to come at the beginning of the sentence to mean 'there is/are' in the general sense? I think so (I can't recall an example from K. Pawl where it's not) ... but believe that context also plays an important role.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Plumps on July 27, 2011, 08:01:01 AM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on July 27, 2011, 06:21:00 AM
Also, I'm a bit confused regarding the second sentence. :-[ Is its literal meaning "There is much confusion to me"? I'm not too sure since längu isn't the first word, but is it possible that it makes there is even in that position? :)

I think it's valid to say that in the translation, yes. Our template for 'X has Y' was always lu X-ru Y but I think the lu + dative makes it clear that it's the idiom for 'have' leaving the relative free word order to do the trick.
About the 'there' part I'm not sure. I always felt that it is added to make it more plausible for English speakers instead of just 'is/are' and not make it sound like a question. Does it have to come at the beginning of the sentence to mean 'there is/are' in the general sense? I think so (I can't recall an example from K. Pawl where it's not) ... but believe that context also plays an important role.

Oh, so your sentence was basically "I have much confusion"? You said the word order in such a construction is free (which was the case in your sentence), whereas it hasn't been proved that there is can be anywhere else than the beginning of the sentence. :) So the meaning must be closer to that of I have, I presume! :)

omängum fra'uti

Other way around.

Generally "X has Y" constructs are "Lu X-ru Y" in that specific order.  (Generally, but the impression I got was there can certainly be exceptions.)

On the other hand, "X is to Y" is the more literal translation of lu, X-ru and Y, no matter what order.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on July 28, 2011, 10:20:47 PM
Other way around.

Generally "X has Y" constructs are "Lu X-ru Y" in that specific order.  (Generally, but the impression I got was there can certainly be exceptions.)

On the other hand, "X is to Y" is the more literal translation of lu, X-ru and Y, no matter what order.

I do remember that now! :) Thank you very much for the reminder. :D