Learn Na'vi > Intermediate

Wikipedia

<< < (3/3)

wm.annis:

--- Quote from: Taronyu on December 30, 2009, 03:09:20 pm ---Since fì isn't listed as a prefix, I think it's safe to assume we can make it a noun.
--- End quote ---

Fì isn't listed at all.  We have extracted it from two examples of sentences from Frommer, namely the word f-ay-vrrtep these demons and fì-skxawng-ìri this moron.  I can see no reason to feel confident yanking out fì and using it alone.  Why else do we have fì'u?

--- Quote ---It is very likelt that the verb would take an accusitive marker, but only if preceded by a noun-deriving nì. The infinitive in english takes the place of the accusitive NP, and so inflection would be expected.
--- End quote ---

I assume you mean noun-deriving tì-.  Even so, this is a very Indo-European-centric way of arranging the construction.  We have not the teeniest shred of evidence Na'vi handles dependent verbs this way.

Prrntxe:

--- Quote from: Coda on December 28, 2009, 06:05:47 pm ---Now, that said, why not translate Wikipedia into Na'vi!  How about wintitslamwep'seng?
--- End quote ---

I was thinking something like wìkìpirya.

edmoreira:

--- Quote from: wm.annis on December 30, 2009, 03:27:35 pm ---I assume you mean noun-deriving tì-.  Even so, this is a very Indo-European-centric way of arranging the construction.  We have not the teeniest shred of evidence Na'vi handles dependent verbs this way.

--- End quote ---

Oh! I so need to know how to handle dependent verbs! But in the meantime this would be an elegant way to deal with it according to the rules we have so far. Hmmmm

--- Quote from: Taronyu on December 30, 2009, 03:09:20 pm ---Oel nerume nìplltxeti nìNavi, sì fì ftue lu.

--- End quote ---

So I think I would say something like

Oel nerume tìplltxeti Na'viyä a fi'u oeru ftue ke lo
I am learning the speech of the Na'vi which this thing is not easy to me

wm.annis:

--- Quote from: edmoreira on December 31, 2009, 01:07:12 am ---
--- Quote from: wm.annis on December 30, 2009, 03:27:35 pm ---I assume you mean noun-deriving tì-.  Even so, this is a very Indo-European-centric way of arranging the construction.  We have not the teeniest shred of evidence Na'vi handles dependent verbs this way.

--- End quote ---

Oh! I so need to know how to handle dependent verbs! But in the meantime this would be an elegant way to deal with it according to the rules we have so far. Hmmmm
--- End quote ---

For centuries English was deformed by schoolmasters trying to force it to fit into the same shape as classical Latin.  It's  not clear to me it's elegant Na'vi to pretend it, too, is an Indo-European language.

Taronyu:

--- Quote from: wm.annis on December 30, 2009, 03:27:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: Taronyu on December 30, 2009, 03:09:20 pm ---Since fì isn't listed as a prefix, I think it's safe to assume we can make it a noun.
--- End quote ---

Fì isn't listed at all.  We have extracted it from two examples of sentences from Frommer, namely the word f-ay-vrrtep these demons and fì-skxawng-ìri this moron.  I can see no reason to feel confident yanking out fì and using it alone.  Why else do we have fì'u?

--- Quote ---It is very likelt that the verb would take an accusitive marker, but only if preceded by a noun-deriving nì. The infinitive in english takes the place of the accusitive NP, and so inflection would be expected.
--- End quote ---

I assume you mean noun-deriving tì-.  Even so, this is a very Indo-European-centric way of arranging the construction.  We have not the teeniest shred of evidence Na'vi handles dependent verbs this way.

--- End quote ---

You make two very good points here. One is that I am a skxawng, and that I keep confusing tì with nì. The second is that I am being indoeuropean centric.

Hmm. What to do. I agree with you, but I like my derivations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version