Learn Na'vi > Intermediate

Wikipedia

<< < (2/3) > >>

wm.annis:

--- Quote from: Eywayä Irrtok on December 30, 2009, 07:38:50 am ---What is the word for "it"?
--- End quote ---

There may not be one.  Plenty of languages in the world get by without "it" — Mandarin Chinese is one major example that comes to mind.  It's possible "this" and "that" words, along with context, take up the job of Enlgish "it," but as with so much about Na'vi grammar right now, that's only a guess, though I hope an informed one.

wm.annis:
Kwami knows about this site, and has even made a few edits to the LearnNavi.org wiki, but I don't know that he has time for the forum.

MasterEro:

--- Quote from: wm.annis on December 30, 2009, 08:56:03 am ---
--- Quote from: Eywayä Irrtok on December 30, 2009, 07:38:50 am ---What is the word for "it"?
--- End quote ---

There may not be one.  Plenty of languages in the world get by without "it" — Mandarin Chinese is one major example that comes to mind.  It's possible "this" and "that" words, along with context, take up the job of Enlgish "it," but as with so much about Na'vi grammar right now, that's only a guess, though I hope an informed one.

--- End quote ---
He's correct. There isnt one yet. We need Frommer for a lot of different things, this being one of them.
I suggest using fì (this). As long as you phrased it correctly, it should make sense.

For example.
 Im learning to speak Na'vi, and this is hard.   
Oei nerume plltxeti nìNavi, sì fì ftue lu.

All of this in my opinion of course.

wm.annis:

--- Quote from: MasterEro on December 30, 2009, 01:18:48 pm ---I suggest using fì (this). As long as you phrased it correctly, it should make sense.

For example.

--- End quote ---

The words "this" and "that" appear to be prefixes in Na'vi (as in the Frommer example, fì-skxawng).  When you want to use the word "this (thing)" alone, you need to use fì'u, as in fì'u ke lu ftue this is not easy.

I'm afraid we don't yet know how to correctly say "I learn to X".  It's pretty unlikely, though, that the verb will take the accusative marker as you have given here.

Taronyu:

--- Quote from: wm.annis on December 30, 2009, 01:23:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: MasterEro on December 30, 2009, 01:18:48 pm ---I suggest using fì (this). As long as you phrased it correctly, it should make sense.

For example.

--- End quote ---

The words "this" and "that" appear to be prefixes in Na'vi (as in the Frommer example, fì-skxawng).  When you want to use the word "this (thing)" alone, you need to use fì'u, as in fì'u ke lu ftue this is not easy.

I'm afraid we don't yet know how to correctly say "I learn to X".  It's pretty unlikely, though, that the verb will take the accusative marker as you have given here.
--- End quote ---

Since fì isn't listed as a prefix, I think it's safe to assume we can make it a noun.

It is very likelt that the verb would take an accusitive marker, but only if preceded by a noun-deriving nì. The infinitive in english takes the place of the accusitive NP, and so inflection would be expected.

Oel nerume nìplltxeti nìNavi, sì fì ftue lu.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version