Main Menu

Worksheets

Started by Skxawng, December 26, 2009, 12:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: neotrekkerz on January 26, 2010, 05:04:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ma Ftiafpi.  Version 1.1 is attached.  Ma Skxawng, if you would like to put a link to this document with the rest of your great worksheets, please feel free. 

Thank you for making these. I applaud you and your efforts!
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

I was wondering if all the links on the first post where still valid. There seems to have a lot of inconsistencies in them, specially the one about plurality. For instance, half of the answers does match...
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Skxawng

Quote from: Kawazoe on January 31, 2010, 09:29:54 PM
I was wondering if all the links on the first post where still valid. There seems to have a lot of inconsistencies in them, specially the one about plurality. For instance, half of the answers does match...

They are updated now, forgive this

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: Skxawng on January 31, 2010, 10:03:48 PM

Woot! Practice time :D

Edit: Mmmm I think you should take a bit of your time to revise them. I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with 1.1 #6 and 7 ;) I didn't really took the time to go through the whole set it's just that those are very apparent.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Skxawng

Quote from: Kawazoe on January 31, 2010, 10:08:02 PM
Quote from: Skxawng on January 31, 2010, 10:03:48 PM

Woot! Practice time :D

Edit: Mmmm I think you should take a bit of your time to revise them. I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with 1.1 #6 and 7 ;) I didn't really took the time to go through the whole set it's just that those are very apparent.

yeah I have no idea what happened there, fixed

Skxawng

Right so I figured, as I'm only about halfway done with 1.6, that it might be productive to post some of the sentences I'm planning on using here for corrective reasons.  I am sure that at least a few of these have errors. Your input is greatly appreciated here!

The singer died moronically when he ate the poisonous yerik.

Rolyu tamerkup nìskxawng  krrpe poanl yerikit aletxum yerom

He will happily pull the stop from within his nose when the alien leaves. (like a nose-plug)
Poanl tìftangit  za'ivärìp nìlrr foanyä ftu ontumì krrpe faketuan hivum

A evil abandoner strongly thanked the kill for its body, and slept all night.

'awhumyul akawng nìtxur iramayo sami tìtspangti poyä tokx, ulte hamahaw mì fratxon.

he asked to be forgiven from the builder he pleasure killed that day.

Poanur pamawm letxoa livu ftu txulayuti poanil leprrte'a tspamang tsatrr.
(as we don't have a 'to be' verb, the beginning of this one is confusing to me, and seems wrong)

my sister weakly pulled the blue spear from her body

oeyä tsmukel nìmeyp za'amärip eana tukruti ftu poeyä tokx.

Two fast warriors will hopefully run to the big tree in time.

wina mesamsiyul nìsìlpey tayul ne tsawla ultralit krrmì. 

(nìsìlpey? or just nìlpey?)

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteThe singer died moronically when he ate the poisonous yerik.

Rolyu tamerkup nìskxawng  krrpe poanl yerikit aletxum yerom

When should be krr a as it is a conjunction.
No a- on letxum unless you put yerikit after it.
Yerom should be yolom, I think you're saying "he is eating" there.
Poanl needs an ì.

QuoteHe will happily pull the stop from within his nose when the alien leaves.  (like a nose-plug)
Poanl tìftangit  za'ivärìp nìlrr foanyä ftu ontumì krrpe faketuan hivum

Same remark about when.
I would probably use ketuwong for alien, but your choice.
Poanl

QuoteA evil abandoner strongly thanked the kill for its body, and slept all night.
'awhumyul akawng nìtxur iramayo sami tìtspangti poyä tokx, ulte hamahaw mì fratxon.

I think "thanked" should be irayo soli.  I think you only infix the si in x si constructions.

Quotehe asked to be forgiven from the builder he pleasure killed that day.
Poanur pamawm letxoa livu ftu txulayuti poanil leprrte'a tspamang tsatrr.
(as we don't have a 'to be' verb, the beginning of this one is confusing to me, and seems wrong)

Could you try "He asked that the builder who he killed with pleasure grant him forgiveness"
Poanìl polawm a tìtxula, a poan tspolang prrte'hu, teswotìng poru "forgiveness"(can't remember the word right now)

I'll check the others later.

Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Skxawng

Quote from: neotrekkerz on February 01, 2010, 10:54:19 AM\
When should be krr a as it is a conjunction.
No a- on letxum unless you put yerikit after it.
Yerom should be yolom, I think you're saying "he is eating" there.
Poanl needs an ì.
well aletxum would work, it would just be superfluous.  Though to make things simple I'll lose the a- :)
Actually i meant ate (past) so i'll replace that with yamom.
Right I keep forgetting the ì ... ack

I think "thanked" should be irayo soli.  I think you only infix the si in x si constructions.
was wondering about that, and I think you're right.  I'm somewhat confused with si as a verb normally and si as a verb-deriving postposition, though I suppose that adding an erg-accu would then indicate that its being used as a verb alone.

Could you try "He asked that the builder who he killed with pleasure grant him forgiveness"
Poanìl polawm a tìtxula, a poan tspolang prrte'hu, teswotìng poru txoa
I kind of like the notion of 'Pleasure kill" but the re-ordering works well, in general. ( ahaha i could also use "tìprrte'fa tspamang")

I'm wondering if you must reorder the sentence to make it work, or if the way I said it originally is somehow possible with na'vi.  Sigh... this would be a hell of a lot simpler if we had a 'to have' verb ... ;)

Also, thanks a bunch for lookin' these over!

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteQuote from: neotrekkerz on Today at 08:54:19 AM
\
was wondering about that, and I think you're right.  I'm somewhat confused with si as a verb normally and si as a verb-deriving postposition, though I suppose that adding an erg-accu would then indicate that its being used as a verb alone.

I  share your confusion a little here too.  The only example I have to go off of is the Frommer letter, where he uses the laudative in the manner I suggested.

QuoteQuote from: neotrekkerz on Today at 08:54:19 AM
\
Poanìl polawm a tìtxula, a poan tspolang prrte'hu, teswotìng poru txoa
I kind of like the notion of 'Pleasure kill" but the re-ordering works well, in general. ( ahaha i could also use "tìprrte'fa tspamang")

I'm wondering if you must reorder the sentence to make it work, or if the way I said it originally is somehow possible with na'vi.  Sigh... this would be a hell of a lot simpler if we had a 'to have' verb ...

We do have a "to have" construction of sorts.  How would you say it in English with "have?"
Now that I'm looking at it again it sounds more like you're saying pleasure-killed, in which case you have the option of using the laudative instead.

Now on to the others...

The "sister" sentence looks good to me. (At least until we understand from better)

QuoteTwo fast warriors will hopefully run to the big tree in time.
wina mesamsiyul nìsìlpey tayul ne tsawla ultralit krrmì.
(nìsìlpey? or just nìlpey?)

Going off the good/well formulation I would go with nìlpey.  Also, and I'm splitting hairs here, when you say big tree, do you mean tall or massive?  If the second I would probably use apxa.

Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

EanTsawke

This worksheets really helped me alot ;D

IRAYO

Thorinbur

Is this correct? Sorry i don't know if someone poineted that out already but in the first pdf (Na'vi affixes 1.1, Plurality and pronouns example for ay+  there is ay+taron and it's translated as hunters. Shouldn't it be ay+taronyu? And even more ay+saronyu (because of Leniaton)

More:
1.)______-ri lu ke_____-taronyu
Well where is four? shouldn't it be
______-ri tsìng lu ke ______-taronyu?

Ok never mind number in there is used only to disting prular, dual and trial forms
oel kame futa oel kekame ke'u

Col Quaritch

all i get is opps page not found stupid aliens  :(

Skxawng

Right so I got bored over the huge snowstorm and decided to work on another sheet, this one on Subjunctive, Reflexive, and Participle verb infixes:

Clicky clicky!

As you can see, I decided to wait until the sentences were correct before turning them into problems. This way should cut down on transcription and correction errors. 

I did have one question that I think is important - when to use just plain future tense, and when to use subjunctive future? Does it all come down to the sentence being hypothetical?  is ...

I will fly with you = Oel tswayon hu ngati
I might fly with you = Oel tswiyevyon hu ngati

a correct approximation? Or does that negate when subjunctive is used for orders?

Critique away!

ikngopyu

Sorry for the question but, is -ti very useful there ?

Oel ngahu tswayon

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Skxawng on February 14, 2010, 12:29:36 AM
I will fly with you = Oel tswayon hu ngati
I might fly with you = Oel tswiyevyon hu ngati

That's how I would translate those two sentences. You might also write the second one as similar to "I hope to fly with you" but I like yours better.

Plumps

I agree with ikngopyu. The accusative is not allowed here since there is an adposition:

It's:
Oe tswayon hu nga (ngahu)

If it were transitive then it would mean "I will fly you" (what you would say to an ikran, perhaps) => Oel tsayon ngati

Ftiafpi

hmmm, is fly transitive always though? I'm not sure but, if it is, then you would at least need "oel"

Ftiafpi

Anyway, some thoughts I had about the guide (which is very good btw, this will help A LOT)

-When you talk about the tenses combined with <iv> the examples are great but you should probably mention that there are more than just those (we just don't know them).

-For "poanìt r<iyev>ey fpìl oel" wouldn't this translate as "I think he will live soon"? That's probably not what you want to say. Also, you need an 'a' to separate the clauses. I think this should be something like: "fpìl oel a poan r<iv>ey"

-Didn't really have time to go through them all but I'm pretty sure the other ones will need some 'a' to separate clauses.

-
QuoteImportant note:  Both <äp> and <us> are put in position 1.
In talking about these infixes I'd drop the bit about them being the only ones we know about since, hopefully, we will get more and then you would have to edit this.

-Didn't have time to look at the practice stuff yet. Looks like a great start though and the bit about the participle was very useful.

Plumps

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 16, 2010, 12:27:36 PM
hmmm, is fly transitive always though? I'm not sure but, if it is, then you would at least need "oel"

That's where I'm lost as well ;) It could also be both. There are ditransitive verbs in English, why not in Na'vi?

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Plumps83 on February 16, 2010, 02:03:27 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 16, 2010, 12:27:36 PM

That's where I'm lost as well ;) It could also be both. There are ditransitive verbs in English, why not in Na'vi?

Yeah, Na'vi definitely has ditransitive verbs (taron for example) but I don't know if fly is one of them.