8 (1%)
61-65
7 (0.9%)
65+
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 709

Eaite Randjam

Quote from: Sirtim on January 23, 2010, 04:34:43 PM
I am, for now, the eldest.  Old actors never die, they only get lost in scripts.  I am so enjoying the AVATAR phenomenon that I felt it necessary to drive this old brain to learn and love a new language. Na'vi is rich with new (for me) sounds. Help me, young ones! :-[

Kaltxì! (Hello!)

If you get the chance, visit the Introductions section and introduce yourself.  You'll find yourself quickly helped.  I'm not one to help (yet) since I'm really new as well.

By the way, do you mind me asking just how elder you are?

Irayo!  (Thank you!)

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I am, for now, the eldest.  Old actors never die, they only get lost in scripts.  I am so enjoying the AVATAR phenomenon that I felt it necessary to drive this old brain to learn and love a new language. Na'vi is rich with new (for me) sounds. Help me, young ones! :-[

Just don't hit me with your cane and we'll be just fine.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 23, 2010, 03:12:40 PM
Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 23, 2010, 02:33:54 PM
Quote from: TorukMakto! on January 23, 2010, 12:47:14 PM
21 (what's that in Navi ? :) )

well in their way(octal) writing it as a number would be:25(2x8+5x1=21)
eywa ayngahu,
unilyu
Of course there is that but that is not what he was asking. I'm assuming he was asking for the name of the number.

Yea, I was joking  , I knew there was no pronunciation for such number.
Irayo unil-tìran-tokx for the octal numeration.

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 23, 2010, 08:26:51 PM
I am, for now, the eldest.  Old actors never die, they only get lost in scripts.  I am so enjoying the AVATAR phenomenon that I felt it necessary to drive this old brain to learn and love a new language. Na'vi is rich with new (for me) sounds. Help me, young ones! :-[

Just don't hit me with your cane and we'll be just fine.

:D

Atanä mungeyu

i feel outnumbered being 13 years...
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Meuya

No matter how many lies we tell, it seems I am still unable to let you go. So please... don't let this feelings be over......I SEE YOU

dky.tehkingd.u

"Fì'u keye'ung lu!"
"Keye'ung? FÌTSENG. LU. SPA'TAAAAAAA!!!"

aquanaviXT12

Figured... pretty cool though.

Ich liebe Navi

Oe-ri tiyawn Navi

GoldenMaia

Oh my goodness...German + Na'vi = <3  Hee!

Not only am I in the over 35 Demographic, but? Also a woman.  ::)

unil.

You know, I really have to say I'm surprised to see any, never mind two members, in the 56+ bracket. That's really too cool.

jellicat

Hi All,

I assumed this would be largely a very young crowd.  However, there are some older folks out there who are just as taken by this whole Avatar thing.  Of course my first obsession was Star Wars and that was back when I worked at Penn State, note I didn't say attended!

Perhaps someone can figure out what "Jellicat" is in Na'vi.  CATS (the musical) was my second obsession so I took the handle "jellicat" way back in the 80s since they are Jellicle Cats.  Yes, the internet existed as the arpanet way back then with the government, universities and research organizations like Bell Labs being on line.

It appears Avatar is my third obsession in life.  I've been around a long time but I hope to learn something new and interesting!

jellicat

Kxawm

Okay, I'll 'fess up: I'm the one in the 51-55 age bracket (55).  Everything works and nothing hurts. . .much ;D

Étienne

Quote from: Kxawm on February 13, 2010, 01:29:00 AM
Okay, I'll 'fess up: I'm the one in the 51-55 age bracket (55).  Everything works and nothing hurts. . .much ;D

Don't worry there are four over you.  ;D

Kaiatéya

Thank you to the mod who directed me over here, I nuked my duplicate topic. Looks like no one else had responded or voted on it anyhow.

Leana na'rìngtìranyu

I'm also in the upper age brackets. And a woman. Go figure.

Even stranger. I've never seen the movie. My friends know about my love of languages and they pointed me to the language after they'd seen Avatar.

I do love it here, though.

Fnua Atxkxe

You've never seen the movie but your'e learning the language?! that's awesome, I can use this info as an argument for the wider appeal of the language, maybe my friends won't think i'm so crazy. Not to mention that the only other tripartite languages I know of are dead or dying or not completely tripartite (only in singular pronouns)
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Kaiatéya

Quote from: Leana na'rìngtìranyu on February 20, 2010, 03:16:18 PM

Even stranger. I've never seen the movie. My friends know about my love of languages and they pointed me to the language after they'd seen Avatar.

30-35 for me and also a woman.. but there seems to be a pretty good gender mix on here, which is cool :)

I have to agree that it's cool that you're interested in the language even though you haven't seen the movie. It's a pretty neat conlang. Were you going to see Avatar at some point? It adds a whole new depth to the language when you do :)

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 20, 2010, 06:08:42 PM
Quote from: Leana na'rìngtìranyu on February 20, 2010, 03:16:18 PM

30-35 for me and also a woman.. but there seems to be a pretty good gender mix on here, which is cool :)

I have to agree that it's cool that you're interested in the language even though you haven't seen the movie. It's a pretty neat conlang. Were you going to see Avatar at some point? It adds a whole new depth to the language when you do :)

the movie deserves to be seen just cause it's a great movie and it is fun to identify and recognise parts of the language you know and the discrepenices I qoute "Toruk Makto" which should really be Toruk Maktoyu

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Kaiatéya

Though, admittedly, learning Na'vi also makes some parts of the movie a lot more awkward to watch. Like .. Grace's accent is just awful. Jake uses weird stresses and mispronounces some things. It's kind of cool to see the humans making expectable mistakes with a new language, but it's also sort of disappointing that this person who ran an English school and obviously had a ton of contact with the Na'vi wouldn't speak their language better.

(Then again, a lot of English teachers in Japanese programs (JET and so on) don't know Japanese either. ;D)

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 20, 2010, 06:50:22 PM
Though, admittedly, learning Na'vi also makes some parts of the movie a lot more awkward to watch. Like .. Grace's accent is just awful. Jake uses weird stresses and mispronounces some things. It's kind of cool to see the humans making expectable mistakes with a new language, but it's also sort of disappointing that this person who ran an English school and obviously had a ton of contact with the Na'vi wouldn't speak their language better.

(Then again, a lot of English teachers in Japanese programs (JET and so on) don't know Japanese either. ;D)

meh I can live with a bad accent, I certainly can't claim any kind of feasible accent and I like Grace, she was really intune with the na'vi's way of life (in a detached scieny kind of way) plus I like Sigourney Weaver. Thinks of Aliens (also by Cameron, note a great movies theme). To return to topic I'm in the larger section of the age demographic at 16

Kaiatéya

Totally agree, I looove Grace's character. :) I like Sigourney Weaver too (are you the keymaster?? :)). It just seems like such a character, whose primary loves in life at that point were Pandora and the Na'vi, would have had a better, more native-sounding accent.

Whatever though .. as you said, OT :)

I had started another topic with this same question (age demographic, and ended up getting redirected to this one) because at the PNW meetup it seemed to me like I was ancient or something.. ;D .. lots of very young people there. Not sure of their ages, but some were only slightly past half my age. In general it seemed to me like the forum was dominated by a younger group, and I'm not surprised to see the results of this poll.

Not that age is a huge thing or something .. I remember being 12 .. 14 .. 16 .. 18 .. 21 .. 23 .. whatever .. every age, someone has a grudge against you and there are plenty who are plenty mature enough to not warrant the restrictions. I still kind of have a grudge against those restrictions honestly; there are some artsy movie houses I wanted to visit when I was in college that would not let me in because I wasn't 21, and I still have a lingering dislike for them.

There are some interesting cultural differences though.

Sadly that age discrimination never really stops either. You just start tipping down the other end of the scale and people think you're "too old" for something instead of "too young". Rather than rash and impulsive, you're slow and incapable.